PDA

View Full Version : SARS Epidemic - What should martial artists do?

WCFighter
03-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Hi everyone,

The greater Toronto area in Ontario , Canada is experiencing a serious outbreak of SARS. Some people have died. (There are other cases world-wide too)

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/AOL/2003/03/26/quarantine030326

If you ran a kung fu club, would you encourage your students to stay home for a few weeks until more is known about how it spreads, or would you continue operating as usual ?

Here, the authorities are quarantying anyone and anyone's family and friends if they suspect that you have SARS or have been in contact with someone who has SARS.

I have called all my students and told them that classes are "off" until further notice.

What would you do ?

Vapour
03-28-2003, 09:20 PM
I think what you done is very sensible. One should put the safety and welfare of students first.

Skarbromantis
03-28-2003, 10:01 PM
I live in the heart of all this mess, its pretty scary, seen a lady today with a face mask sh*t is crazy, I think its a good decision.

Skard1

Guile
03-28-2003, 10:30 PM
wow guys that sux.
Good thinking wCfighter.

Vapour
03-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Doctor who identified mystery illness dies from disease

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_765662.html

David Jamieson
03-29-2003, 11:23 AM
It's pretty intense here in T.O.

It is known that close contact must be made to contract the disease.

So far, those that are at the highest risk are those who work in the hospitals where cases of it are. Family and relatives of victims have contracted the disease as well from close contact during visits.

I could see this being a really huge problem without the containment measures they are taking.

Not sure how safe the subway at rush hour is, or office space, etc etc.

Apparently, droplet exchange needs to occur for the disease to enter you. This means that you have to breath in a cough or sneeze or some other exchange of bodily fluids in close proximity to someone who has the disease.

I undertsand that it can be treated as well in many cases.

cheers

Skarbromantis
03-29-2003, 05:24 PM
"I undertsand that it can be treated as well in many cases."

Not if they keep closing hospitals, cover of todays paper said 2nd hospital closed down, if there closing the hospitals, its gotta be serious, so if you catch it, where do you go?

Skard1

WCFighter
03-29-2003, 09:00 PM
The advice that is being given to the public is to wear a mask when in proxity with someone with the illness. And to stay away from their sneezing or coughing.

That is fine for regular people who don't work out.

But what about martial artists? Or people who go to a gym to work out ?

Would touching a sweaty person on the arm or face be considered an exchange of fluid ?

Would touching a piece of weight-lifting equipment be considered a hazard too ?

Some churches in the area are asking people with any illness to stay home. Also they are telling their congregation members not to shake hands.

If you touch someone's sweaty hand , face, or arm, does the virus go right into your pores and into your body? Or does it only enter through your mouth (if you forgot to wash your hands after your workout AND you being eating) ?

SevenStar
03-29-2003, 11:40 PM
not good. Hopefully a cure is found soon.

wall
03-30-2003, 01:13 AM
mmmmm....in HK for example, were there is ok medical care, about 500 people got ill so far, of which about 20 died. That would mean a mortality rate of about 4% correct? Doesn't seem too bad if that is the case, many other deseases have far higher mortality %. Also, all-up globally about 100-200 people have died of this in the past 2 MONTHS.....about that many die in 1 DAY in Europe in car accidents, or in Africa due to desease and hunger, .... or in Iraq due to accidental bombing of civilians.....

I think we hear so much about it because it makes for a very sensationalist news item...."killer virus spreading"....

W

Of course I still hope for a cure soon, as any human life is precious, and wouldn't travel to HK right now....

Skarbromantis
03-30-2003, 10:10 AM
:rolleyes:

anyways, yeah I decided not to go to class today, my school, is in the "High Virus Zone", so its best not to chance it.

Skard1

Kristoffer
03-30-2003, 01:31 PM
I think this is very scary. If it came here I know it would probebly spread like a fire. Just think about the subway! I'm gonna be all jumpy if anyone coughs or sneezes. Maybe walk over and yell at them :D

:(

Skarbromantis
03-30-2003, 05:48 PM
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20030330-006/page.asp

Talks about the hospitals, also says there's 2 clinic's that are open to treat it, has some good links.

Doesnt say much about recovery.

Skard1

GeneChing
03-31-2003, 12:51 PM
...I'm leaving for China tomorrow. :cool: Wish me luck.

shaolin kungfu
03-31-2003, 03:59 PM
Good luck gene! Have fun in China!

GeneChing
03-31-2003, 05:08 PM
It's not a good time to go at all, but the trip lined up in such a way that now is the time. I'll let you all know how it goes. Talk about life and limb-ing for you job!

Guile
04-01-2003, 12:00 AM
What does the vineger do?

prana
04-01-2003, 01:33 AM
first case of SARS in Sydney.

hmmmmm

Mr Punch
04-01-2003, 02:23 AM
My favourite technique against a virus is multiple palm heels to my own vital points, and a pinpoint chi blast.

Don't overeact you pu$$ies, it's just another chicken flu... just stop kissing chickens!:D

prana
04-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Stumblefist
WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REPENT! SINNERS! REPENT!
u r dead right, we are ALL going to die.... hehehe dat my friend is a fact !!! :D

Kristoffer
04-01-2003, 08:00 AM
**** right.. have as much fun while u live :D

diego
04-01-2003, 05:22 PM
something i heard on the news today is all flight passengers into vancouver from hk have to get sterilized or someshiat before they leave the airport.

Skarbromantis
04-03-2003, 09:05 AM
http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/63/71890.htm