PDA

View Full Version : It just won't go away!!!

scotty1
03-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Hello, i know I posted a similar thread to this a while ago but I'm interested in how people with knowledge would view my workouts. Bear in mind I'm thinking long term here. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help.

I got a chest injury, recurring, something to do with my sternum that no-one seems to be able to remedy or find out exactly what it is. It's not that serious but it is annoying and I think the key to getting rid of it is the right compromise between enough and not too much training. I've tried everything. This pattern is my latest gambit.

So, I'd like to cut right back to the basics. Chins, pull-ups and push ups. Maybe some dips.

My question is, I think one day on / one day off would be a good schedule for my chest. Is one pyramid set or 3 sets of my max (one rep shy of failure) per training day at this rate going to bring any results?

If I do say - pull ups on Mon, rest Tues, pushups on Wed, rest Thurs, chins on Fri, rest Sat, push ups Sun, do you think I'll be able to increase my reps? All I want is to increase my reps to a point where it's be reasonable and safe to start adding weight.

To keep my chest taking it easy, I'll stick with the same reps until I can handle them comfortably, then up it by one rep per set and do that until I can handle that comfortably. Slow and steady wins the race right?

Thank you for your time and attention.
:)

Cheese Dog
03-30-2003, 11:33 PM
Well Scotty1, for me that program would probably only maintain or at best provide very slow gains in endurance. But everyone is different AND as you are trying to rehab an injury you definitely should take it slow. As you mentioned, be especially careful to stop just shy of failure to avoid any further ligament/tendon damage. Also make sure you control the negitive portion of the movement (such as, when doing chins, pull yourself up at your normal pace, pause, and lower yourself down in 2-3 seconds) and don't "bounce" at the bottom of a movement.

The only change I would suggest to your schedule is possibly this--

Monday--Pullups
Wednesday--Pushups
Friday--Dips
Sunday--Chins

Good luck and tell us how it goes

Cheese
Dog

scotty1
03-31-2003, 12:01 AM
Cheers man.

"only maintain or at best provide very slow gains in endurance"

That's all I want as I've just started taiji and I'm concentrating on qigong for that. The exercises are more for my life in general.

scotty1
04-04-2003, 03:02 AM
OK scrub that, I think I've been in denial.

My chest's actually getting worse (I think) and I'm going to quit those sort of resistance exercises until it's better. It's a good time for me to do this as I'm learning lots of new qigong and such like for tai chi, which actually make it feel better. Hopefully it'll heal through that. Neither of my teachers are especially small men and all they do is this qigong, so hopefully I won't waste away.
:(

Guile
04-04-2003, 12:05 PM
Isnt that a lot? 15 mins aparT?
Arent you supposed to only take it 3 times a day?
I am assuming it has to do with dosage amount.
:confused:

greendragon
04-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Give it a rest until it heals. do the QiGong/TaiChi and forget external exercise for 8 weeks. Drink water. Breath (natural, not forced).

Cheese Dog
04-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Definitely take it easy until you're better. The TaiChi and QiGong should help. If you can do gentle stretching it would be beneficial.

shaolin kungfu
04-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Breath (natural, not forced).

That's very good advice for everyone. Lack of breathing can lead to many problems, including but not limited to death.

O.K. I'm done being an *******. :D

Guile
04-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu

That's very good advice for everyone. Lack of breathing can lead to many problems, including but not limited to death.

O.K. I'm done being an *******. :D

:D

fa_jing
04-08-2003, 08:18 PM
I suggest some form of bridging exercise. You have to stretch the chest and strengthen the opposite side, too.

Guile
04-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Wouldnt pullups do that?

herb ox
04-08-2003, 11:57 PM
have you consulted a tui na practicioner? I can't say from the minimal details of your injury you've provided, but since it involves your sternum, it may have become misaligned or something...

just my $.02 worth.

hope it gets better.

herb ox