PDA

View Full Version : does anyone free spar with weapons

GreyFox81
03-29-2003, 05:11 AM
i had wanted to know if anyone sparred with weapons and wha type

Kinjit
03-29-2003, 05:42 AM
Yes. Mostly european... Dagger, knife, longsword, one handed sword, sword and shield, sword and buckler, polearms..etc..

Chinwoo-er
03-29-2003, 05:56 AM
wooden and bamboo weapons only
Not steel.

SLC
03-29-2003, 07:19 AM
bo x bo
bo x sai

A little, more or less full contact with pads and fencing masks.

A good bit of bo x bo, light or no contact, no pads or mask.

Neurotic
03-29-2003, 08:14 AM
A bit of play with butterfly swords, some foam escrima stick stuff.

Don't ever play with those plastic butterfly swords, - they get chunks taken out of them when blades clash - and they end up with some nasty spikes on the edge.

One slice, and you end up ripping a chunk outta someone.

(I know, I'm missing a bit outta my hand due to that)

Vapour
03-29-2003, 10:02 AM
We just started on Dao and our instructor is going to introduce free sparing soon. :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
03-29-2003, 10:17 AM
yes, but only with guns.

taijiquan_student
03-29-2003, 03:29 PM
Yes. Our school uses wooden jian (oak) for free-sparring.

Cheese Dog
03-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Yes, we use foam padded arnis sticks and occasionally rubber knives, or large markers.

apoweyn
03-31-2003, 08:15 AM
Yes. Single stick, double stick, stick and dagger, and a bit of long staff.

Dave Fulton
04-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Yes.

We're Filipino Martial Arts based and we spar w/just about any type of rattan weapon. We stay away from steel weapons and use the rattan to simulate the steel weapons because rattan is relatively safe. We spar full-contact.

The weapons that you might see used in sparring at our place include: single stick, double stick, stick & "knife" (ie short stick), "knife", double "knife", staff, jo, nunchaku, double nunchaku, shinai, 3-section staff.

These are weapons or combinations of weapons that you might see go up against another weapon or combination of weapons. In other words, you might see stick & "knife" put up against shinai or double nunchakus. Am I making sense?

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

P.S. I think I have even seen stick and nunchaku and nunchaku and "knife" used in combination to fight against other weapons.

nospam
04-01-2003, 07:13 PM
I used to but not in quite a while. I started to teach sparring with the do but have yet to find anything strong enuff to withstand training drills let alone sparring!

We used padded poles. I tried padded 'bats' for the do but they snapped after one or two great headshots :D

nospam.
:cool: