PDA

View Full Version : Cut,strike Or Trap.

curtis
03-29-2003, 05:47 PM
It is the way of the primary edath, it means one thing, and everything .
Cut
once committed to fight, cut ,that is YOUR primary rule everything else is secondary, CUT from the void not bewilderment,Cut the enemy is quickly and directly as possible, Cut with certainty, Cut decisively, resolutely, Cut into his strength, flow through the gaps in his guard, Cut him, Cut him down utterly do not allow him a breath, crush him, Cut him without mercy , Cut him to the depths of his spirit. It is the balance to life, death. It is to code the warrior must live by or he dies.
(Abbreviated quote from the book of five rings, Miyamoto Musashi.)

I thought this quote was pretty good. instead of CUT think of strike,or HIT or touch (trap)
I belive in the large picture its all the same.
What do you think?
C.A.G.

pseudoswitch
03-29-2003, 06:11 PM
Sums up fighting spirit pretty well :)

HuangKaiVun
04-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Unfortunately, cutting quickly and efficiently is not always the right solution.

When you get in a fight with your girlfriend, do you invariably "cut" into her with your actions and inactions? Do that and you'll "cut" her out of your life.

Or when you get attacked on the street, do you strike with no mercy? You'll find that juries dislike that kind of behavior - but that fellow prison inmates DO.

As far as a samurai analogy goes, is it smart to simply cut right through a guy when you know he's got 10 guys waiting for you afterwards? Perhaps taking an alternate route that spares you the conflict altogether would be a wiser course of action.

Knowing when NOT to cut is as important as knowing when to cut.

cutter
04-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Curtis,
i've had the same sig ever since i joined this forum, but i didn't get it from musashi. where is it in the book of 5 rings? What translation do you have?

HuangKai,
as far as fighting w/ your girlfreind, the opponant isn't her, it is the lack of communication/understanding between you. cut through it, end the argument.

curtis
04-03-2003, 03:24 AM
HuangKaiVun
the book of 5 rings, was written for both the novice and the expert. It is both very vauge, an extremely clear and its presentation. I'm sorry you misunderstood the concept I ways trying to bring up.
the part you missed, WAS, once committed to fight. (a fight is life or death. Nothing less.) So your idea of fighting and Miyamoto Musashi's are completely different.
I would recommend reading the book. I personally find this quote to be inspiring.
An example would be in order to trap someone up, you cannot attempt to trap them, you must attempt to strike them, if thay STOP you then you trap them, not the other way around. ;)

To CUTTER
I am sorry, the exact book is on loan at this moment. I will attempt to find out what edition it is. I am sorry at this moment I cannot tell you.
I will let you know.
I have read four difference books, and I find that each book is slightly difference, the difference may be explained in the translation. I'm not sure. Many book's start with his history, which is all the author's interpretation, perhaps a quote came from there? The edition I have at hand is from talking book world. It is on tape. My written copy as I said earlyer is on loan. Sorry !
I am sorry I cannot help you right now.
Sincerely. C.A.G.

cutter
04-03-2003, 08:53 PM
when you find out which translation it is i would like to know. send me a private message if you like. i found it in a book called :"temple of the winds" by terry goodkind. i changed it a little for my sig.it's a sword and sorcery/fantasy book. when i first saw it i thought "that sounds a lot like musashi", but didn't know that it was as close as your previous quote.

another good quote from the same book is "I am the weapon."

again, please let me know the translation when you find out.

curtis
04-04-2003, 02:35 AM
Cutter
In order to make fantasy work there has to be a lot of truth in it.
Some other quotes by Masashi are.
"Fear is shadow, not substance". (Miyamoto Musashi)

"Control your motions, or it will control you". (Miyamoto Musashi)

as well as my favorite chapter, book of the void.

"The void"not being tense but ready. Not thinking yet not dreaming, not being set but flexible, it is being wholly and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for what ever may come,." (Miyamoto Musashi)
AND
"By the void, I mean that which has no beginning and no end. Attending this principle means not attaining this principle. The way of strategy is the way of nature. When you appreciate the power of nature, knowing the rhythm of any situation, you will be able to hit your enemy naturally and strike naturally. All is the way of the void". (Miyamoto Musashi)

Sorta sounds like fantasy doesn't it ? I guess if you can understand Masashi's true insight, then you would truly have magic. After all knowledge is power.
Sincerely yours C.A.G.