PDA

View Full Version : BLACK SASH on tonite???

LEGEND
03-30-2003, 02:09 PM
It's a new BAGUA martial art series starring RUSSEL WONG. I have some problem with the series...mainly...I'm NOT IN IT! Why not cast me as the bad guy. An evil ****sexual vietnamese man who hates him...but likes him at the same Russel at the same time. I will bring back the old great villian...who can forget the HORROR and POWER of the asian guy who worked for the boss in WAY OF THE DRAGON??? Who I dare say...WHOOOOOOOO??? I would run the opposite school...instead of a BAGUA school in FRISCO...it will be a ***ua school in FRISCO. Of course...I would have more students and our highest ranking sash is PINK! I want everyone of you at Kung Fu Forum to write to WB and request my character...

Masterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Baterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

David Jamieson
03-30-2003, 03:56 PM
what network is showing this Legend?

I think I would like to watch it.

cheers

joedoe
03-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Not that it is relevant, but are you a p00f Legend? :D

LEGEND
03-30-2003, 04:40 PM
WB 50 at 9:00pm. It's a syndicated show...check out www.wb.com I think. I just found out today...very similar to VANISHING SON...accept russel plays a ex cop from HK who was betrayed and move to frisco to teach martial arts to misfit kids.

SevenStar
03-30-2003, 05:00 PM
There are two threads on it already, one I started, and one someone else started. There are other oppinions there.

For the record, I think Vanishing Son was good. II was good too, but III, IV and the series never should've happened.

Guile
03-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Yea, I remember those, they were on a looong time ago werent they?

SevenStar
03-30-2003, 06:55 PM
crap... it doesn't come on until midnight here.

Starchaser107
03-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Well I just saw it, I liked it
the girls are kinda cute too

shaolin kungfu
03-30-2003, 08:36 PM
It was ok.

SevenStar
03-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Guile
Yea, I remember those, they were on a looong time ago werent they?

Yeah, it was in the early 90's. It started as part of UPN's "Action Pak" movies that they would air on Sundays. the movies were

Bandit
Tek Wars
Vanishing Son
Hercules
Xena
One more that was good, but I can't think of the name.

They went on to turn Tek Wars, Vanishing Son, Hercules and Xena into a series.

PHILBERT
03-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Legend, are you drunk?

SevenStar
03-30-2003, 11:06 PM
"Will we REALLY be able to take on 8 people at once?"

"Theoretically, yes"

Waidan
03-30-2003, 11:20 PM
I figured the show would suck, and I was prepared to look past bad writing, acting, and wushu-ified bagua, but I was still surprised by just how bad it was. At least the old dude from Conan's still working.

SifuAbel
03-30-2003, 11:28 PM
The show was B....... A ........D.

Wong was just OK. But barley. The cast is another WB skinny model cattle call. I can't decide if the guys were skinnier than the chicks or not.

shaolin kungfu
03-30-2003, 11:39 PM
They were.

Guile
03-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
[
Wong was just OK. But barley. The cast is another WB skinny model cattle call. I can't decide if the guys were skinnier than the chicks or not. [/B]

Haha. Seven Star will eat them alive (all at once)
:D

Guile
03-30-2003, 11:58 PM
I wouldnt mind taking on the brunette

:D

SLC
03-31-2003, 05:41 AM
Well, I liked it pretty good. The babes were nice to look at.

The fighting was a cut above most any other US produced stuff.

The plot was sort of weak but it might grow. The end after the fight on the dock where Wong wouldn't say thanks to the brunett for covering his back was pretty lame.

Waaay too late at night though. ;)

LEGEND
03-31-2003, 08:46 AM
My beef with this show is their is no clear VILLIAN. The cast were mostly white and black...at least put in a HOTTIE asian...tera patrick, kobe tai or sung hi lee. Hell even Russell's ex was WHITE( WTF )??? Plus...all the asian baddies were gay looking. Red hair villians??? Russell does make a good actor but he def. needs a body double for KUNG FU techs. and instead of a punching bag...why not let him go more traditional and bang on a wooden dummy.

Taomonkey
03-31-2003, 09:56 AM
Watched 15 minutes and turned it off. Great Martial Arts role model. "Framed" ex con from Hong Kong who moves to San Fran, gets a restraining order from seeing his kid, and opens a martial arts school for "troubled" teens. He jumps right into thier personal lives from moment one, plays matchmaker, and more. I say BullShirt. It Su ck ed aasss. And to think I wasted tape on it.

its Mr Miage on a pedafile charge.

cwheelie
03-31-2003, 11:33 AM
I'd grapple with the brunette....:D Otherwise, pretty cheesy, even for the WB network

LEGEND
03-31-2003, 11:38 AM
It's basically SMALLVILLE with KATO as the star. :)

Rockwood
03-31-2003, 02:48 PM
We're talking about WB here, people, so your hopes should start below the gutter. From that perspective, Black Sash RuleZ!!!!!!

We want hot girls in halter tops circle walking. That is a GOOD THING!!!!!

Repeat after me: "More hot chicks in martial arts!"

If you want great drama, stick to Masterpiece theatre.

I'm gonna be busy watching every move made by the babez of Black Sash!

Next week, be there, it's got to get better (??!?!) Right?

-Jess O

PHILBERT
03-31-2003, 08:34 PM
How many shows are perfect at first? Exactly. It takes time, ya gotta work with it, let them get some feedback (offical site people? http://www.thewb.com/) and they will improve.

When Smallville started, last season 9/10 of the episodes sucked and were just basically the previous episodes with a little modification. Now they are actually making it into a continuing series where the follow episodes carry on from the previous.

SevenStar
03-31-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by LEGEND
My beef with this show is their is no clear VILLIAN.

I think that can be a good thing - it leaves more options

The cast were mostly white and black...at least put in a HOTTIE asian...tera patrick, kobe tai or sung hi lee.

LOL, what are those three gonna do, screw everybody? Tera is hot though.

Hell even Russell's ex was WHITE( WTF )???

That's not unusual. All of the asians i know call it being whitewashed.

Russell does make a good actor but he def. needs a body double for KUNG FU techs. and instead of a punching bag...why not let him go more traditional and bang on a wooden dummy.

Why do you think he needs a double?

No_Know
04-01-2003, 09:27 AM
"Watched 15 minutes and turned it off. Great Martial Arts role model. "Framed" ex con from Hong Kong who moves to San Fran,"

Cop=good guy (on television series typically). Framed = a wronged person; hope the wrong gets righted. Righting wrongs is usually a procedure. Good, for a series. Build-up for clearing a good person's name in everyones eyes.

" gets a restraining order from seeing his kid,"

Ex-wife's new husband, Step father of Black Sash' guy's daughter gets the restraining order on the Blacksash guy. He respected that he was away by keeping his distance and waiting for permission to see her from her mother. Jealous new husband gets the restraining order on black Sash guy.

" and opens a martial arts school for "troubled" teens. He jumps right into thier personal lives from moment one, plays matchmaker, and more."

He allowed two people to get together. And advised one of them on how to go about getting what she was interested in. He left it up to her if she acts on his advice. And is letting them work things out for themselves.

There are teenagers who get into Kung-Fu. Teenager by definition nearly means "troubled." Sifu (Chinse for instructor -like a parent) has a lot of experience and gives guidence in all areas. Not nosey, Looking out for. Doing well in Kung-Fu takes enough of the student that the student's well being Is the concern of the Sifu (older stereotype) (my concept).

" I say BullShirt. It Su ck ed aasss. And to think I wasted tape on it."

Sounds like a teenager (13 to 109). Perhaps you should consult Langka Sliwa. Eight changes is working for them. Perhaps it would work for you. :-)-ish

dwid
04-01-2003, 09:43 AM
I really wanted the show to be good.

It was virtually unwatchable. They cleverly avoided clearly showing much even very basic bagua practice, I suppose to avoid more complaints.

I kept looking at the clock after the first fifteen minutes, waiting for it to end.

The story sucked, the acting was pretty bad. I really like Bagua, but I won't be wasting my time with this show again.

No_Know
04-01-2003, 10:35 AM
It seems some wanted to see their class work on the program.

It's a series pilot. Not a One time show. What he says is most instrumental, than trying to catch a technique you haven't gotten yet.

A divided family; a mother trying to cope with being a woman And a mother; a father's love for his child (daughter). A woman who acts out of anger/spite/fear/... and that's merely one character situation.

They are Students! Your master/flawless expectations seem inappropriate. There should be allowed on your parts, room for their bagua to develope. That might be part of the stoty. That the studnts get better.

The hand shifts look reasonable at least. (duck from under lotus type move).

Not saying thank you. It would establish No rules for her is o.k. Sh ot told she shouldn't endanger herself like that because she is cared about and that she Was helpful for the situation...which she caused. If she hadn't caused the circle around her, He would have had fewer to deal with at one time. He let her help. and was glad things turned out as O.K. as they did. But not happy she risked her life or got their attention. Perhaps.

No_Know
04-01-2003, 10:42 AM
Techniques in the form they do are in the techniques used to win the fight scenes against supposedly resisting opponents.[/color]

You people who cut it off at fifteen minutes miss out on development. It must seem a pittiful world to you that doesn't serve you. Oh masters of we should oblige your being entertained.

Perhaps some-such.

Taomonkey, due to h is/er whatever, Missed the Eskrima(?), at the end fight scene.

People who No_Know Kung-Fu understand punching bag better than a Wooden Dummy.

Wooden Dummy is Wing Chun tool. for blocking, punching, kick jam. Pa Kua Is palms that are not primarily hardened from the out side to hit hard.

Pa Kua(?) (Bagua), is about moving around the opponents. Kind of reverse Wing Chun.

Taomonkey
04-01-2003, 11:23 AM
no_k you own stock in the show or just have a hair up your butt on April Fools day?

For me, a show must do something in the first 15 minutes to justify my watching the rest. This just didnt have anything. So I chalk it up on the WB board as another good idea with lame writing and story. I predict it will go the way of Birds of Prey, another good idea with weak production.

before lecturing further of the role of a good sifu, take into consideration the legnth of time spent with a student, its just not kosher to jump into your deep private life without knowing you, and it takes time to know or no_know someone.

and I did go back last night and check out the last 10 minutes, and I did enjoy the arnis. I always enjoy seeing FMA, but

(and I ask this to all KF movie fans) why? yes why, after dispatching several villians with a weapon does the hero always throw the weapon away and go back to empty hands?!

HuangKaiVun
04-01-2003, 11:37 AM
One of my adult students mentioned this show to me the other day.

Our school has been working with a local charter school which has a large population of troubled teens.

Several of them have been coming to classes for kung fu lessons, and we have been helping them with life and such. They feel that our school is the one place where they can let down their guard against the nefarious elements of life.

We even teach them Baguazhang, among other things. We even teach them how to shake hands in a way that is supposed to stop conflict. But we don't throw away weapons once we pick them up.

The question I always get is "Won't these kids turn even more violent?" Actually, the reality is the opposite. I've watched kids totally turn over a new leaf as a result of martial arts training.

The growth I've witnessed in these kids was exactly what I got into martial arts instruction for.

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 11:39 AM
(and I ask this to all KF movie fans) why? yes why, after dispatching several villians with a weapon does the hero always throw the weapon away and go back to empty hands?!

Er, because variety is visually appealing? Because television programs and movies are designed to be entertaining? Because the majority of people are more entertained by the notion of a person defending himself with nothing more than his own body?

Not rocket science, Taomonkey.

Stuart B.

No_Know
04-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Perhaps its a concept of equal force~ empty hand against empty hand weapon against weapon. A sense of fair play? Even though people might not play fair. ?A goodguy complex? Sort of thing.

dwid
04-01-2003, 11:44 AM
I don't understand the aggressiveness of your defense of the show.

I understand that it is a tv show and story etc... are more important than martial arts. That is true.

However, the story was pitiful, and the acting was bad. It was chock full of cliches that make it interchangeable with a whole stock of other highly forgettable programs.

Barring a huge improvement in the writing, it won't be back next season (if it even lasts to the end of this season).

No_Know
04-01-2003, 11:52 AM
"no_k you own stock in the show or just have a hair up your butt on April Fools day?"

It's my comprehension that people can miss out on good things they might appreciate, due to impatience. [shakes head]Condemning things they actually woud like if they got it...

dwid
04-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Condemning things they actually woud like if they got it...

I don't think there's some great depth here that I am missing. The show's about as deep as Walker: Texas Ranger. I don't think with all the problems in the world today that people overlooking the wonder of a poorly written tv show is any great tragedy.

:) No offense to you personally No Know, we just differ in our tastes regarding TV. No biggie really, but I don't think you should necessarily shake your head at people for not giving this particular show the benefit of the doubt.

cwheelie
04-01-2003, 12:08 PM
Respect? - students never once referred to Russell Wong as "sifu"
Uniforms - geez, he lets them work out like that?
the school - where was the shrine?
Senior Students? I thought he'd only been back for 5 months? How did he get senior students & how did they get so good so fast?

No_Know
04-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Hello dwid.

It's the concept, and not the show. There are aspects to several things. When I see a show I treat it as a lesson. I listen for the style and level of acting and the concept of the character. Simultaneously. I evaluate as it goes. Since I'm there for analysis of whatever, I don't lose.

The cliche is a form of communication as I see it. Words are cliche. They are defined before you use them. And people get what you are saying by the previous use of the word. The familiarity, Aids in understanding. This device is a central point of Humor, I might think. And in story telling, if the audience can relate to the situation they haven't lived, it brings them into the story or closer or have more interest or Enjoyment. It makes them comfortable to know or feel or think they understand. Perhaps.

No_Know
04-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Different tastes? Reasonable.

We are allowed our opinions. It has been my experience that people might miss out. I think that that's a shame~. Hopefully, I Am allowed to shake my head at occurances I might comsider unfortunate.

Not that their acting was bad. The director determines what shots to keep-ish. It might be more a matter of taste and experience and awareness than bad acting. Our perceptions.

Which cliches from this program that makes it interchangeable if you would.

Please, note you might not want to respond to this as it might seem to refer to stuff that's not worth your attention to you.

No problem, Hopefully you do things you consider good with the time~ you do spend~ with what you do.

Since it's one of the few martial arts shows on, I think you would have come back to watch the show, If I hadn't written this. If not, hopefully you would go train. Or something else.

Whatever whatever. Very good.

HuangKaiVun
04-01-2003, 01:53 PM
I don't force my students to call me "sifu".

In fact, sometimes I advise them NOT TO (especially outside of class). Giving somebody too much respect in a real fight is FATAL.

Uniforms? When somebody attacks you on the street, you don't go into a booth and bust out the kung fu uniform. You fight wearing the clothes you are wearing. That's why my school has no uniforms.

Not every school has a shrine - especially not in old China. In fact, my own teacher and his teacher had no shrine. But they could fight and teach, which is what really counts. Besides, their teaching and fighting was far better than that of other teachers who had KILLER shrines.

A student who has been there longer than other students is a senior student, even if there's only a week's difference in time. Besides, being a "senior student" never saved anybody's butt in a real fight.