PDA

View Full Version : leg strategy

Rolling Elbow
03-31-2003, 09:31 AM
well, it is safe to say that after 3+ months recovery, my lower back has healed and i have in the past two weeks, returned to training. To compensate for the loss of deadlifts and squats (compression or strain on lower back), I now have new reliance on barbell hack squats from the bottom position of my power cage. I also recently purchased a squat belt from ironmind which permits you to squat with the weight between the legs and on the hips rather than on the back.It is extremely hard and you
definitely cannot pull as much weight as you thought HOWEVER, i have this problem that while my legs get tired during the workout, i am not feeling as if the split of training quads only once a week is enough for growth. My legs are my weak point
due largely to the fact that i am 6+ tall and have longer legs and arms with a shorter upper torso. I currently split my routine as such :

quads-back

calves-chest-forearms

hamstrings-shoulders-calves

anybody bennefitting from training legs only once a week or think twice is the way to go? I do no more than 5-6 sets for each body part and my goal is to up the poundages as frequently as possible.

Robinf
03-31-2003, 11:31 AM
I do twice a week. I found I got nothing out of only once a week, and my knees bothered me after three times a week.

I assume you also do leg extensions. Also, have you ever tried the leg press, single leg? I found this helped me.

Robin

Former castleva
04-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Once a week is unlikely to do much.
Work-out schedule is quite a personal thing but as general rules,48 hours of rest between training (of an invidual muscle group(S) ) is absolute minimum/necessity and at least in the case for beginners.
However when you advance and start to work harder,more systematically and with specific stress it is reasonable to have a good rest.At this point,coming back to invidual needs...
If there is unbalance,you basically work more with those areas that are lacking for you until comfortable.You cannot,however,increase the amount of training for other groups at the same time since recovery becomes more tricky again.

Kempo Guy
04-01-2003, 10:14 AM
If you're looking for muscular endurance (in your legs), I really recommend doing the "lower body" workout portion of Scrapper's routine #1. You can find the routine here. (http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml) This workout includes Hindu Squats (also called shootfighters), Bootstrappers (these are killer) and lunges.

I occasionally do one-legged squats and substitute mountain climbers for the lunges at times as well.

When I'm on a weight training cycle, I do mostly deadlifts (different variations like romanian, duck etc.) and squats. Usually do 5 x 5 with heavy weights.

I train my legs usually 2-3 times per week.

KG