PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into shape (TRICEPS)

Feng Huang
03-31-2003, 11:11 AM
I'm trying to get back into shape after being out of commission for about 10 weeks due to a chest injury and car accident related stuff. Before this, I was training a lot, going in about 4-6 days per week for a few hours to do class, sparring, or conditioning. Although I'm starting to get back up on my cardio (I'm walking 3 miles right now, hopefully moving on to jogging and then running) and doing stretches and isolated strength stuff, I'm not sure how to work on my TRICEPS without overworking my chest too much. My third rib was popped out and the cartilage that connected it to my sternum was torn a bit . it was healing and then was reinjured in a car accident along with some other stuff, but I think it popped back in this weekend. FINALLY! anyway, I'm trying to get back into shape and i could use some advice as I've never been injured enough to force me to stop doing MA, even when i had a broken rib. :S Any advice on working my triceps or other parts are definitely welcome. please help!

Thanks!

Robinf
03-31-2003, 11:34 AM
Single arm, dumbbell extension. You can do it kneeling on a bench, which might be the easiest on your rib cage.

Dips between weight benches--so the pressure isn't on your chest but behind you, more on your shoulders as you work your tris.

Hope this helps some.

Feng Huang
03-31-2003, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the tip :) But i was wondering, how many reps and sets should i do? And any suggestions on weight? i'm a girl. I used to do a lot of tricep stuff to keep the strength but not increase the bulk too much. I haven't really done too much with weights though for this.

Robinf
03-31-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm a girl, too. Nice to finally have a sister around.

Two sets should do it, of 12 - 15 reps. I don't know how strong you want to get. In general, it depends on genetics and caloric intake if you'll bulk (first, genetics, though)

My goal is unassisted, full motion dips. I worked heavier weight for low reps, three sets. Now, I can do those dips for three sets of 4 reps. I kept from bulking too much by keeping a close eye on my caloric intake and upping my cardio workout.

Go for the dips in between benches. You might want to start with your feet on the ground. The progression would be feet on another bench, then feet on one of those stability balls.

Former castleva
03-31-2003, 01:52 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Triceps

Right what you wanted? Well...

additionally.
http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_61tris.html

Off the top of my web.
(Injury not taken into account,contact your MD for such)
And do not worry about bulking up too much,won´t happen. :)

Robinf
04-01-2003, 07:05 AM
Geez, I didn't realize the bench tricep exercise was "El Geeko" (I read the articles). Now that I think about it, that exercise really can injure the shoulder, unless you know how and take the time to stablize.

Thanks for those two links, the first one is really fun.

Guile
04-02-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey if you have one of those tricep machines in the gym, you can isolate it so you dont have to pressure your chest.

Robinf
04-03-2003, 07:02 AM
Former castleva,

That second article helped me a lot. Thanks. I changed my tricep exercises to make better use of gravity (so it causes the stretch). What a difference.

Former castleva
04-03-2003, 08:40 AM
Glad it made a difference.

45degree fist
04-04-2003, 09:02 PM
A good non resistance exercise that requires nothing
is too just flex it and hold it for as long as possible, about ten reps each side this should be good prep work while you heal.
but if your healthy enough to use weights or body weight by all means have at it.

Guile
04-04-2003, 10:30 PM
You mean like Dynamic streching? (I think that what it is)
That stuff is good but you dont want to push it too much.
Might just pop a muscle from the tension:eek: