PDA

View Full Version : education poll

foolinthedeck
04-01-2003, 04:01 AM
i've not done a poll before so i'm not sure if this will work...
i was wondering what level of eductaion wing chun people have.

Oh! this is sure to be controversial.. theres no real correlation between level of education and intellegnce etc, but humour me. i feel as if wing chun is the thinking man/womans art form. theres a certain amount of geometry, body mechanics etc needed, plus some philosophical undertstanding.

feel free to strongly disagree.

education poll:
1. primary
2. secondary GCSE
3. secondary A Level (High school)
4. College
5. Post Grad.

dezhen2001
04-01-2003, 04:42 AM
think it depends on the person and their level of maturity... i have a sihing who is still doing A levels but understands wing chun very welll :)

dawood

stuartm
04-01-2003, 04:52 AM
Hi,

I have a degree in History for what its worth - doesn't have any relevance on ability in my opinion. Some of the best people i have trained with do not have an academic background.

Foolin - still no hear? The offer is always open

Regards, Stuart

captain
04-01-2003, 06:01 AM
i know of certain teachers who will give their ma
students more respect if they know they have a uni
education.

Odie-wan
04-01-2003, 06:16 AM
My school is small but students are either teens or more mature (30-50). I agree that it doesn't matter what your education is. For Americans though, relaxing yourself in order to fight is contrary to American pop culture. I think that many WC students have experience in other styles and have either seen the light and switched or were forced out of their old styles because of physical injury.

yuanfen
04-01-2003, 11:23 AM
foolinthedeck-
Ip Man once said that wing chun is for bright people. Doesnt mean he had degrees in mind.There are lots of terribly bright folks who havent had the opportunity for a good education. Lots of good sifus who know how to think. But:
There are educated fools and uneducated fools. The latter group is even larger than the first. Your poll is likely to be "skewed"
because of the nature of participation.

pvwingchun
04-01-2003, 11:48 AM
It is my belief that the highly educated (post grad) are more into their prescribed field and less likely to stray and find a diversion. Just my opinion of course.

TjD
04-01-2003, 01:16 PM
well i got 4 years wing chun :)

i also just got accepted into my colleges PhD program... i'm still waiting to hear from a few other schools.

next few years are going to be **** busy... but doing WC should keep me sane :D

foolinthedeck
04-01-2003, 02:36 PM
thanks for your replies - no lynch mob!!! wow, but as i expected, the mature people reply, the immature didnt bother - so far.

for my part i completed a masters degree, but failed in the opinion of the examiners. silly fool.

anerlich
04-01-2003, 03:45 PM
but as i expected, the mature people reply, the immature didnt bother

Good to see you didn't bring any preconceived ideas to the table ;)

I have a B. Sc. (Comp Sci and Pure Maths).

IMHO BJJ requires more problem-solving ability of the type measured by standard intelligence tests than WC does. IMHO.

sticky fingers
04-03-2003, 10:42 AM
I have a sihing who isn't the brightest light in the harbour who sees wing chun as a series of techniques, and doesn't get the principles at all. Poor bugger wonders why he gets beaten in chi sau by juniors and even told me the other day ' geez, u guys are strong - I better lift more weights' :( :(