PDA

View Full Version : Defining MMA.

Former castleva
04-01-2003, 11:15 AM
What is it to you?

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 11:35 AM
To me, MMA refers to the competitions. To the format itself and to the 'style' that has become prevalent in that format (the mix of kickboxing and submission grappling).

The actual term 'mixed martial arts' could just as easily be applied to a great many styles, both modern and older. But then it kinda ceases to mean anything at all. So MMA, as it's generally used, makes me think of the competitive format.

'Modern' systems might train in firearms retention, deescalation, knifefighting, etc. Or might just be an eclectic mix of other things that you don't necessarily see in the NHB circuit.

Obviously, it's just a term, when you get right down to it. But when I hear the term, I think of the comps. If I'm talking about something else (modern self defense systems, more traditional amalgams, etc.), I usually use different terminology.

Stuart B.

Former castleva
04-01-2003, 11:52 AM
Thank you a little Stuart. ;)
Or is it Stuart Big? It´s not Brittle I hope. :)

:cool:

OK,I´m taking it easy for now.
I agree it has to do with both translating the term and general appreciation.

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 12:01 PM
Just a little?

Stuart B.

p.s. Glad to see that someone put that post of Black Jack's in their sig line. It deserves to live on in perpetuity.

:)

apoweyn
04-01-2003, 12:03 PM
Ah. Stuart Little. I gotcha.

Just another in a long line of really inauspicious characters named Stuart (or some variation thereof).

:)

TjD
04-01-2003, 12:59 PM
mma = martial arts for people with attention-deficit disorder

(edit = spelling)

Former castleva
04-01-2003, 01:09 PM
So I guess the question would,then,be whether to direct MMA ppl to psychiatric or neurological service. ;)
Or join the skeptics of this disorder which supposedly has biological basis.
However,thank you dearly and so on.

TjD
04-01-2003, 01:29 PM
from what i've seen, MMA people fall into two camps.

camp #1 has a basic set of skills that they test out against as many styles as possible to refine them. camp #1 can kick some serious ass.

camp #2 does everything and learns nothing. usually because their ego is too big to give anything enough time to learn how it works. camp #2 usuallly end up being people who know a thousand techniques that they cant use and end up getting their asses seriously kicked.

camp #1 trains harder. camp #2 thinks harder about training.

i like people from camp #1. camp #2 people **** me the hell off :D

Former castleva
04-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Very interesting.

Mr.Sleazy
04-01-2003, 05:09 PM
I'm with Apoweyn on this one (and the majority according to the poll results).

MMA techniques should be tested in a competitive atmosphere against opponents who are trying to hurt you. Competition should be as "open" or minimum rules as possible, so long as safety can be addressed. Of course, there are varying levels of comfort for contact and the rules of these competions will vary based on this.

Kids MMA, for example - I just watched some kids pankration comps a couple weeks ago, no head shots allowed, no striking on the ground, and of course no elbows or headbutts etc.. One of the competitors got choked, tapped out, and then cried. It was cute and sad at the same time....

The bottom line is that techniques should be tested to ensure they they can be consistently and effectively applied.

Guile
04-01-2003, 11:31 PM
TO me MMA is kind of anything goes, not like TKD or other point sparring tournies. YOur style vs whoever comes your way. I guess the basis of JKD is MMA? limit with out limits ....

Former castleva
04-02-2003, 12:46 AM
Thank you.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-02-2003, 02:21 AM
mephitic menstrual additives?

Guile
04-02-2003, 10:00 PM
2 days and only 15 votes :confused:

Serpent
04-02-2003, 10:02 PM
It's because no-one cares about MMA.