PDA

View Full Version : Are vinegar based dit da jows harmful?

phantom
04-01-2003, 12:36 PM
I think I have read somewhre that it is bad to use a vinegar baesd dit da jow, I believe it is because it makes your bones brittle. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

herb ox
04-04-2003, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure of the correct answer to your question, but I do remember soaking bones and eggs in vinegar back in grade school. The vinegar gradually dissolved the calcium carbonate in the bones and eggs and rendered them very rubbery and flexible, such that we passed the egg thru the mouth of a milk jug.

Silliness aside, it would seem that the vinegar would make the solution very acidic - prolonged usage may affect the pH of your skin and body... not to mention it may change the way the herbal compounds dissolve into the solution.

I've generally heard rice wine is the best, but I've also had a bottle of dit da that had a vinegar base... left a powerful smell on my arms and hands...

the choice is up to you.

cheers
herb ox

phantom
04-04-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks, herb ox. I wonder if using a combination of both wine and vinegar in a jow would help to prevent any harmful effects on your body? I have heard of jow formulas that use a mixture of both.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
04-09-2003, 08:38 PM
I am no expert in making Dit Da Jow, but, I believe that vinegar is a poor substitute for vodka. Especially if you have a very powerful recipe - using vinegar in it would ruin it. The efficacy of the recipe would be zilch. Stick with the 80% vodka. I believe it to be the best for all purposes. Have a good week.

silfversurfer
04-10-2003, 05:22 AM
hi folks.

isn't it like this...
if you use wine - as in most traditional recepies - and store it too long - then the wine turns into vineagar...right?

just wondering if this isn't the way the use of vineagar came up (besides this it has the biochemical aspects you guys already mentioned).

all the best

silfversurfer

David Jamieson
04-18-2003, 08:13 AM
both alcohol and vinegar will dry the skin.

do not use water on your hands until the dit da jow is fully absorbed. (1-2 hours after application) water will only make the drying problem worse.

otherwise, I agree, alcohol is better and vinegar is merely a cheaper way to go about making your jow. It will not have the efficacy of an alcohol based jow.

cheers