PDA

View Full Version : Progression from Wing Chun to JKD

pseudoswitch
04-02-2003, 06:31 AM
I was wondering if anyone here had studied Wing Chun before moving on to study JKD? I am curious as to how comfortable the transition is, especially regarding footwork. As i understand it, JKD footwork is mainly based on boxing and fencing footwork, and although there are minor similarities with Wing Chun footwork, it seems like a dramatic change to me. Should a Wing Chun person learn some basic boxing before moving on to JKD?

Cheers,

pseudo

Cyborg
04-07-2003, 08:03 AM
I have never formally studied WC, I learned my JKD from Ted Wong. The WC people that come to his seminars don't adapt all that well to the footwork. (it could just be them) I don't think you NEED to study boxing first (I did) but like boxing and say "why not?"

Guile
04-08-2003, 09:33 AM
I guess it would takle a while to adjust the footwork.

yenhoi
04-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Just like any style, JKD varies from teacher to teacher.

I came from 'pure' Wing Chun to JKD, no problems, but thats me and my teacher, not you and your teacher.

Some JKD camps have almost no "Wing Chun" left in their particular method. Use what works for you. Martial art is a individual process.

:eek:

Guile
04-08-2003, 09:56 AM
Keep what u use, discard what you dont...;)

davethedragon
04-11-2003, 07:06 AM
i studied with wing chun for about 3 years during that time i learnt about an art that is complete and diverse.
i am now interested inlearning what other arts have to offer in order to obtain a greater overall perspective.
i have trained in other different arts including tai chi chuan and systema and find them all fascinating. i also think that there is a lot to offer in learning other arts.
does this make a jeetkune do practitioner i dont know im just doing my thing and loving every minute of it!!!!:D :) :) :) :) :D :D
i love these things!!