PDA

View Full Version : Over Zealous Moderator(s)?

woliveri
04-02-2003, 07:23 PM
I noticed that one or more threads created here have been moved and I haven't noticed why. Is there some reason that those threads are not appropriate for this forum?

BeiTangLang
04-02-2003, 08:24 PM
yes. They were general kung fu topics that would better be discussed elsewhere. I am hoping to make this forum contain items of intrest specific to mantis practitioners.
Thanks for understanding my "Over zealous"ness.
Best Wishes to all,
BTL

woliveri
04-03-2003, 12:05 AM
My opinion is you're putting a damper on an already limited posting environment. I would hope that you monitor if people get nasty, name calling, known trolls, over all negative behaviour, etc. I found those other threads you moved interesting and since I almost never frequent the Kung Fu forum I would not have seen them. There are general interest issues that the NPM people would like to talk amoung their forum friends. I dissagree with the moves.

Frogman
04-03-2003, 05:58 AM
Agreed, the general kung fu forum is more polluted then Beijing. No offence to either. Many of the folks that frequent this forum have good information and it may go a little off the PM path, as long as it is KF orientated I fail to see the issue.
:confused:
RibHit,
fm

BeiTangLang
04-03-2003, 06:33 AM
I appreciate the input.

I will consider your opinions, but I also wish to let you know that this _is_ a forum that is for and about Northern Praying Mantis; The whole reason NPM forum is here, is to discuss particulars/events/discussions about what we do, not opinions or thoughts about kung fu in general.

If it is the majorities wish, I will be a little more lienient, but not a lot.

I do not understand the "limiting posting environment" comment.
I would appreciate it if you could explain a little more on that subject

I want this to be the place where we can come to share about our collective art.

Best Wishes to all,
I look forward to your replies.
~BTL

isol8d
04-03-2003, 06:34 AM
Personally, I just enjoy speaking about general kung fu with other Mantis players here.... I don't read the other forums here that often...

Perhaps the moderators should ask the customers of this forum how they would wish to use it....

BeiTangLang
04-03-2003, 06:39 AM
That is what I'm doing.

I'm the only active mod here, so I'll take full responsibility for these actions; as well as take your opinions & requests into consideration & action.

as a side note; you can still access these threads from this forum by hitting the redirect I left in the topics listing.

Thanks,
BTL

Skarbromantis
04-03-2003, 09:51 AM
I agree with the other posts, sometimes we want the opinion of a Mantis player, so we post general questions on this form, even if the question doesn't seem like it has to do with Mantis, if I post, "how do you train", Im looking for Pm training methods, doesnt matter that it doesnt say, not general answers that I would get if the thread was moved to the main form, how many serious Mantis replys, will I get over there.....none!

Skard1

Hua Lin Laoshi
04-03-2003, 11:03 AM
BeiTangLang`
The thread I started that was moved was intended to shed some light on some of the topics discussed on this forum. So far it seems to be going well over in the General forum but it was specifically intended for Wah Lum (and ex-Wah Lum) readers.

I'm another one who only reads/posts in this forum so even though the topics stray it's the responses of the NPM community that we're looking to read. I'm fine with whatever you decide.

Maybe give some notice before relocating so we can type 'praying mantis' occassionally in our comments. :)

BeiTangLang
04-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Speaking of WL; I know that many of you have your own views & experiences, but these are becoming "political" discussions specific to a school & not the art.
I have been _more_ than fair in letting these posts keep going.
Please pm or email each other on these topics as by now you know who each other are.

Being that it seems that you cannot discuss many techniques from your system to those outside it, I look forward to your commentary on other families discussions.

Like I said; I will be more lienient from now on topic-wise if that is what is wished by the majority.

Best wishes to all,
~BTL

flem
04-03-2003, 02:03 PM
beitanglang,

i totally agree with your intentions, but as for hua lins post i disaggree. his post is completly inline with the moral issue that we were discussing and though it is "general" in content it applies here- just a vote for keeping it here.

grifter721
04-04-2003, 02:57 PM
flippin right.
Who cares what the main board people think, anyone that is psting on the npm board wants to hear what other mantis people think not the mma/bjj/etc people think.
I ban it from now on. peace.

Stacey
04-04-2003, 04:28 PM
check out the needle **** who "will consider your opinions"

I think he forgot that he's moderator of an internet chat site, not a real authority figure.

RAYNYSC
04-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Hey Stacey,
You've just offended the deputy sheriff of the Mantis forum. Are you crazy? I bet Bei will feel compelled to lock down this topic like he has done before when ever someone say's something offensive that is not to his liking.:mad:

Oh & by the way Bei I think that in the future you should let the threads play out you're a moderator not a dictator.
With that being said I would just like to add that most of the stuff that is talked about on this forum is the same old rehashed stuff the only way to get some new stuff out there is to let the threads ride sometimes. Theres more to some topics then you may realize but you'll never know if you keep closing the threads.

Peace:D

BeiTangLang
04-05-2003, 12:11 PM
As a mod, it is my job to keep the forum in order & mostly on topic.
No more, no less.

I do let threads play out; just elsewhere if they are not NPM specific. Per request of the posters, I will be a little more leinient as far as topic content, but not too far off.

Rehashed materials are not always a bad thing; as many newer users will be seeing it for the first time.

If you have any new ground-shattering topics of discussion to bring up, please do so as I'm sure everyone would like to read & discuss them.

Thanks Stacey for your ever-enlightening post & you too RAYNYSC.
Everyones opinions are welcome & I will "consider your opinions"
as well.

Best Wishes to all,
BTL

SevenStar
04-05-2003, 05:42 PM
I think you're doing the right thing. If this is a NPM forum, the threads should reflect such. if it's a general training question that you want the info of of other NPM guys on, then name the thread something like "NPM training"

Good job, BTL

Stacey
04-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Hey seven...you got something in your mouth.....oh yeah...its Beitanglangs wang head deep in your esophogus

SevenStar
04-05-2003, 06:59 PM
that was almost funny.... I've read better from you. go back and play on the general forum where we put you in place on a regular basis...

Frogman
04-06-2003, 06:54 AM
:D I think this thread should be moved since it does not seem to be about kung fu at all.
Personal I don’t care either way sometimes it’s interesting to read about stuff other then PM but PM is why I come here.
So………………………………..
Would you like some cheese w/ that.:eek:

RibHit
fm

yu shan
04-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Actually, I think the moderators do a fine job and are quite liberal. Not exactly my view, but we are given a wide spectrum. Thank you!