PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol Advice?

Serpent
04-02-2003, 10:18 PM
OK, what's the deal with cholesterol?

I know it's bad in excess, but where does it occur, what's the best way to reduce it, what are the symptoms of having too much, etc.?

Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

harry_the_monk
04-03-2003, 12:22 AM
You are probably gonna get loads of answers, but here's my 2cents... I'll try to keep it simple(like me):D

You have 2 types of cholestoral HDL and LDL one is classified as good, the other is classified as bad. Normal cholestoral testing as I understand it only gives you the total cholestoral in your body, not the ratio of HDL to LDL. That test is normally done by hospitals if it appears you have a 'dangerously high cholestoral level'.
LDL(low density lipoprotein) cholestoral goes running around the arteries and then sort of gets stuck onto the walls of these arteries. Over time this would lead to a blockage.(try to imagine chucking food and things like that down your sink, eventually it gets clogged up.) The more you have of these LDLs the quicker, in theory, you will cause a blockage and cause a stroke/heart attack etc.,
HDL(high density lipoprotein) cholestoral is like an artery cleaner(sort of). The LDL that are on the walls of the vessels can be pulled off by the HDLs before they harden, they are then safely carried away to do whatever they will do next in the liver, etc.,.(this would kinda be like pouring sink unblocker down your sink to clean the blockage, but not quite so effective.)
If your cholestoral levels are 1:1, its thought that is not really that good.
However if you have a much higher percentage of HDL cholestoral this in theory is better as the 'cleaners' outnumber the 'clingers'.

Exercise can help the body produce more HDL, eating mono-unsaturated fats helps lower cholestoral, but lowers more LDL than HDL which is good; and poly-unsaturated fats lower total cholestoral(both).
Saturated fats help to increase cholesterol, but thought to increase LDL more.

I have not mentioned VLDL as there are fewer of these found within the body.

If I have mistaken or misunderstood the topic, please correct me

Om mani peme hung

Robinf
04-03-2003, 07:04 AM
Nicely done.

To answer the other question. I don't think there are any "symptoms" of high cholesterol. You have to get your cholesterol checked in a doctor's office, or during some health fair.

Xebsball
04-03-2003, 07:09 AM
I was diagnosed with low HDL like an year ago i think, im gonna die! yay!! :D

Guile
04-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Lay off the Little Debbies and you'll be fine.
:D

rubthebuddha
04-03-2003, 02:18 PM
exercise is grand for it, as are your omega 3, 6 and 9 essential fatty acids. you'll get these from deep sea fishies, flax oil, stuff like that.

joedoe
04-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Psyllium husk is also good for helping lower cholesterol I was told. Also keeps you very regular. :D

Another thing I had read was that the cholesterol you eat has little impact on the cholesterol levels in your body. What is more important is the foods you eat that lead to your body producing cholesterol. Anyone care to clarify this?

Guile
04-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Lipitor also reduces cholestorol but it is a presciption drug.