PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin belts?

inpho
06-25-2001, 02:27 AM
I was wondering if Shaolin used any type of belt system. In movies and books I've seen Shaolin students wearing different colour uniforms and belts, I assumed they didn't use belts so perhaps these colours indicate secular deciples or something?

Furious Tiger
06-25-2001, 03:07 AM
I am new to both Kung Fu and this forum, though I have posted before. I do not think that there si a system in place in Shao lIn Kung Fu or Kung Fu in General. This seemd to be and american need to have one self evaluate and conciously see their own progression in the system. Again I am new to Kung Fu and could be totally off base. I believe traditionaly the Sifu monotors the progress of each of his students and then determins whether or not the student is ready to move on to the next level. ;)

Furious Tiger

Shaolindynasty
06-25-2001, 03:29 PM
I think in the temple the orange robes are for people who are full monks and grey is for secular disciples. I also think this isn't strongly inforced either. I guess color now can be a matter of preference.

Witness the Dynasty!!!
New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

inpho
06-26-2001, 02:49 AM
But the pictures of teh secular desciples show them wearing both, only their belts remain the same colour. Also I'm 99% certain the US Shaolin schools use belts.

Chi Hu
06-26-2001, 02:52 AM
I believe traditionally belts were not used in Shaolin kung fu, for time in the art is much more important than so called rank.

"Betray the art, and it will betray you"
Grand master Simon

Sil Lum Palm
06-26-2001, 04:27 AM
Shao Lin schools in the USA use sashs mostly for competition purposes such as forms and such. Sash's are a form of international ranking and it is agreed that this is an American thing, but that doesnt mean that it should be looked down on, it just means that it is different than the "old way". Sash's give the modern practitioner a way to measure thier growth in the arts.

LeiWulong
06-27-2001, 04:05 AM
Once Kung-Fu was introduced Sashes and different colored uniforms were used to distiguished initiates from disiples, and disiples from masters. Also they were used to differentiate between styles, and to instil a sense of respect and humility in students.

Check out www.shaolin.com (http://www.shaolin.com) for more info

Rory
06-29-2001, 06:15 AM
belts were used to keep your organs in place so when you twisted fast it wouldnt hurt them

SnowTiger
10-19-2001, 09:42 PM
Does it matter if you dont wear a belt or go to graduations in shaolin kung fu?Belts(or ranks) are good if you have to prove something to yourself,but I would just like to practice without one.My friends tell me that Iยดm just a coward butt I train much harder than them,they want belts so that they can just brag about it! :mad:

Kung Lek
10-20-2001, 05:51 PM
wear your belt for lower back support and awareness of your centre (Dan Tien).

If your teacher has a belt system wear it.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Ish
10-21-2001, 01:25 PM
My teacher has a belt system but you have to pay for the gradings and i'm not interested in wearing a coloured sash so i don't bother.

Colin
10-21-2001, 04:30 PM
Kung Lek said:
Wear your belt for lower back support and awareness of your centre (Dan Tien) If your teacher has a belt system wear it.

I totally agree!
Here in the west it has to be accepted that we like to see our progression within any activity.
Many styles now incorporate a grading system to enable students to assess their progress.
the thing to remember is that as each style has it's own ranking system the grade you hold is only relevent to your particular style.
I do not honestly believe that TCMA would be as popular in the west if their were no grading systems!
I know that this is a controversial issue, but realistically i think that complete beginners can and have been put off CMA's because they have no way of comparing the class or the instructor to other martial arts.
It is also usefull for instructors to enable them to teach the appropriate techniques to each student.
Also when we are practicing certain Chi Gung excerises we tighten our sashes ( very tight ) to enable us to focus Chi to our Dan Tien.

So don't feel that by wearing a coloured sash you are not upholding the traditions of your style.

Colin.................

GeneChing
10-21-2001, 07:08 PM
Welcome to Gene's Shaolin Black Belt certification program.

Get your Black Belts here (http://www.martialartsmart.com/belt-with-solid-color.html)

;)

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

Colin
10-21-2001, 07:26 PM
We are funny aren't we!
Twat!!!!!!!!!

TatewakiKuno
10-21-2001, 10:19 PM
Its true that in todays day and age most people want belts because they think they are tough shiznet by saying I have a black belt. Well I got a news flash for ya folks there are a hell of alot of people out there who are terrible. Belts don't mean anything, its a piece of clothing. If you want to find out how good you are, see how long you can hold your horse stance, or see how many forms you can do and how good you can do them, and if it even comes down to it go spar some people.

Traditionally there were no black belts, belts became that color because of a persons extensive training. You wear your belt all the time as you train and eventually through all the dust, dirt, blood, and so on it became darker.

I'm in no way trying to be offensive to people with belts its just there are alot of fake schools out there who just hand out belts for money. So be careful.

Silumkid
10-21-2001, 10:40 PM
All true...one aspect of this story I have heard before that seems to get missed a lot is that, yes, you wear the same belt until it turns black from all the abuse. As you continue to train, the belt takes more abuse, more wear and tear and starts to fray and then....it turns white again.

Not that it means anything...

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

Kung Lek
10-21-2001, 10:53 PM
Kaga and sillumkid-
the story of the belts aging and filling with sweat dirt and blood is true of the Japanese martial arts.
that is indeed how it worked with Karate.

In Chinese martial systems that use sashes, teh colours have more of a cosmological/elemental reason to them.

Most kung fu schools that use sashes have only 5 sashes, these align with the 5 elements and teh 5 associated colours of the elements in contect to traditional chinese medicine.
This is what my Si Fu has taught me about this relatively new feature of Chinese Martial arts.

Otherwise, they are for lower back support due to the strenuous activities and workouts of the chinese martial artist. They are also very helpful on gaining focus of the centre.and of course they hold your pants up if you don't have a drawstring :D
peace

Kung Lek

Jeff Liboiron
10-22-2001, 01:22 AM
The only thing belts are good for are to keep your pants up :)

Pointy
10-23-2001, 12:33 PM
...then why not use color coded suspenders?

They'd be sooo cool!
:D

"Pain is only natures way of telling you're in terrible agony"

shaolinboxer
10-23-2001, 04:16 PM
Where I currently train, the black belts are very skilled and are good teachers. Getting certified as a black belt requires years of training, home study, teaching, and development of character.

The tests are difficult and require a lot of memorization and clarity in technique. Personally, tests tend to scare the crap out of me and turn my brain into a blank slate. I find myself spending a lot of time working throught the exam techniques on my own, adding to my overall practice (healthy motivation). Also, I spend time after class working with the more advanced students, and pick up the tricks that have helped them learn. By placing this exam in front of myself, I force myself to learn to be cool under pressure and to absorb the techniques to a point that I can execute them a bit fear blind.

From spending many years training beltless, I find that belt testing can be a healthy and worthwhile goal if the tests are appropriately difficult and your need to test comes from a desire to excel and perfect rather than to dominate.

Belts not not just hold your pants up in the dojo. They tell your fellow students that you have a knowledge base they can draw from, and remind you of who you are.

[This message was edited by Lyle on 10-24-01 at 07:31 AM.]

Stumblefist
10-23-2001, 05:45 PM
Sashes are better for tying people up, also for attaching to various weapons(such as making rope darts. slingshots, etc) and scaling. Also good for trainig such as blindfold, using restraining cirles to inhibit movement to practice technique and to tie two opponents together in a match.

Belts are stronger and heavier.Belts make better defensive weapons as they can catch and entangle various other weapons as they are somewht stronger.

They both have many uses. I prefer sashes. If you take your sash off, your uniform still stays on. If i am wearing the belt and gi, i am forever wrapping myself back up again. Silk is quite strong. Sashes are somewhat lighter and more versatile. However a sash is not so good for keeping a katana in place for the draw.

Gene That's good. $4.74 for a black belt. How much is 2nd Dan?

GeneChing
10-23-2001, 07:44 PM
You want 2nd Dan w/stripes?

http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/product---index-11-90s.html

To be honest, I totally respect belts when they respect themselves. I had kyu in Judo and Kendo (not dan, never stayed with it that long) but both of those belt systems were well organized and honorable. As for kungfu, when the school or system honors it internally that's great. But I sell belts (obviously) so I also know the marketing end, probably better than most would want to know.

Like anything inanimate, it has meaning if you imbue it with meaning. Inanimates can symbolize anything - just study fetishism (not the sexual kind, the anthropological kind.) And far be it for me to comment too harshly on something as inocuous as a belt.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

Shaolindynasty
10-23-2001, 08:37 PM
Hmmm...... oh the anthropological kind, nevermind.
I was actually thinking of some kind of color ranking. The tests would still retain the same diffuculty level but instead of saying level 3 it might be yellow belt. If I did I would use those cool corded belts that wing lam sells, I think colored sashes look tacky and I don't like karate belts. So maybe I would say yellow cord.... Anyway I think since belts are so commonly known in the USA it is easier than explaining how we don't use belt all the time and trying to explain why :rolleyes:

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Stumblefist
10-24-2001, 07:30 AM
Gene: Those are colored belts with stripes, i.e. kyus. I don't think the black with white stipe is a dan grade.
Are you trying to demote me?
I want my 2nd dan inscribed with my chinese name, which coincidentally is "Shi". So fate has already pre-ordained me to be a monk.
I don't know how i'm going to live with that "no killing" rule.
--------------
Now in Aikido, many sensei's give the rank, but allow the kyus to always wear white belts in respect of a certain philosophical attitude.
It really sharpens people up in practice. You don't have the color of the belt to help you, you have to repond to the technique and not seeing the belt color.
I never heard of dan grades wearing the white. Some bb's do when they forget their black belt, but as a custom, i'm not sure.

GeneChing
10-24-2001, 06:46 PM
Well, that's the problem with belts. They are not universal. Beleive me, I sell them. Everyone has their own system. Some are definately traditional - other are just made up. Some use the stripes like the next step after dan. I even remember one account that used the white belt as the highest - something to do with the death association. Whatever. Anyways if your really want that belt Stumblefist, just order it. We do embroidery.

In kendo, where they wear hakama like aikido, there are kyu and dan but the are just numbers - no colors. No place to wear a belt with a hakama really, excpet maybe an obi and no one sees that usually. So it's just rank, and it works quite well in the kendo circles because it's still fairly contained. As martial arts spread, well, as we know there's no way that one governing board can oversee all all the systems, so in a universal sense it makes no sense. But personally, and within a specific school, it can be very meaningful.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

shaolinboxer
10-24-2001, 09:53 PM
Your hakama ties onto your belt, does it not?

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

GeneChing
10-25-2001, 01:04 AM
A hakama has four straps that secure it, two for the front and two for the back. They wrap around the waist to secure it. It is not tied to a belt.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher

shaolinboxer
10-25-2001, 08:35 PM
Interesting. Thanks.

LeiWulong
10-26-2001, 10:57 PM
Belts have always been in use in the shaolin temple and in shaolin training. But for different reasons than we have them for now-a-days. Now-a-days a blackbelt means nothing except you've paid enough money and ran through a few forms. Belts are useless except to keep up your pants. when your training you don't need a belt or a certificate to tell you when and how much you have improved. That was the main reason I turned away from the karate and tae kwon do schools when I was a little and apprenticed under a great master.... god rest his sole.

-buddha's name be praised-
Lei

Kung Lek
10-27-2001, 12:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now-a-days a blackbelt means nothing except you've paid enough money and ran through a few forms. [/quote]

maybe in other schools Lei, but not where I went and not in plenty of other schools.

They measure achievment, let younger students know who can and is qualified to help them and sets a curriculum standard in many schools.

Many schools that do not use belts do use titles.
IE: Si Dai, Si Hing, Si Fu, Si Gung, etcetera.

peace

Kung Lek

phoenix-eye
10-27-2001, 02:37 AM
In our school there is a "sash" grading system which is very well defined and is clearly set out on paper for each of the 8 sash grades to black so that you know what is basically required for each.

It is therefore consistent for all students and shows a clear progression from basic techniques to more advanced. The syllabus for each new grade always retains elements of the previous grade so that a true progression is maintained.

It's true that belts mean nothing overall - but at least in a system like this you know that whoever has the belt/sash has studied the same things as you and has achieved the same things you are trying to.

I therefore don't see the sash as being a bad thing in this type of structured teaching system.

It becomes very bad when there is no clearly defined structure to the system and sash grades are awarded with very little apparent consistency. In this event they really do become meaningless.

I suppose the real answer I'm suggesting is that the sash is a reflection of the sifu. If the system and sifu are respected then your sash grade should be respected.

However, at the end of the day the sash means nothing unless you are true to yourself and recognise your own true level within the art you study.

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

Kung Lek
10-27-2001, 02:58 AM
Phoenix eye, I was using the term belt and sash interchangably. I understand what you mean though and I do agree.

My Si Fu has specific recquirements for each Sash and also for levels of instructorship. which all fall in the Black Sash level of training.

To me personally, the "door opens" at the level of black sash, prior to this is all fundamental developement even though quite a bit of knowledge is acquired before the black sash is bestowed upon a student.

My Si Fu holds high standards and demonstrable knowledge, understanding, attitude, spirit, loyalty and skill absolutely had to be present before advancing.

peace

Kung Lek

azwingchun
10-27-2001, 07:51 AM
I agree with what you are saying, though your school seems to be an exception. I have gone to other schools (many to be exact) and I see 9 year olds with black belts. This drives me crazy! Then there is a Hwa Rang Do school here in Arizona which I visited where you couldn't even test for black until you were at least 18 years old. Which I think is great.

As far as the ego which belts seem to bring on, well I see this alot. The funny thing is the ego I usually see comes from the Karate type schools. And NO I am not bashing systems, just passing on what I have seen.

My Kung Fu brothers and I have been torn between the issue of to wear sashes or just have levels. Since again, people tend to want to have it to show how they have progressed. We finally decided not to wear them, though one of my Kung Fu brothers decided to do it for the children, you know to keep them interested and to give them some sense of accomplishment.

I once had a Karate teacher who would say "A black belt and .25 cents(wow just realized my keyboard doesn't have a "cents" sign) on the street will by you a cup of coffee." Though we did have a belt ranking system, I knew what he was trying to get across to us. :D

PaleDragon
10-27-2001, 09:38 AM
i tested for my first sash today...i "passed"...but i dont think i will wear it till more people in the class have tested.

Ming the Merciless
10-27-2001, 11:27 AM
Here's the thing....

Personally I don't care too much about belts. what matters to me is...can I handle myself on the street.

A black belt/sash means nothing to me. I guarantee you it means nothing to the guy who is trying to take your wallet or beat you down because he doesn't like the way you look.

Kung Lek
10-27-2001, 03:38 PM
Agreed, it means little on the street in a superficial sense.

But not in your skill sense if you have truly worked for the sash/belt in the frmework of pratice of true martial arts.

Karate does have a lot of aggression in it and makes the point of aggression a key focus of its practice. Fierceness and an agressive attitude are encouraged in the foundational study of Karate.

I have often heard the phrase 50 cents and a bachelors degree will get you a cup of coffee too :) nevertheless, you do the study and work required to get the degree.

peace

Kung Lek

triskellin
11-04-2001, 05:13 PM
we work off the sihing/jei, sidai/mui titles in my school, no belt ranking...
anyways, last yr during cny, 2 of my sihings came back after a 6yr break or something to help us with the lion dance... my simu took out these *really* long sashes for them to wear, and one of the guys told me they were for the dai sihings of the school. i thought it was complete bull at first, cause they're a bunch of egomaniacs, and they're not the dai sihings, but i remembered i grabbed one of the sashes to wear cause it was the closest one to me, and my simu said no don't wear it, and i said 'oops, *looks at it* yeah it's too long'

anyone ever hear of anything like that?? cause the guy looked at the sash and said 'maybe i should pass this down...' lol, that was funny. see, even with no belt system ppl can get egotistical!

To see what you want to see is worse than being blind.

Dash Iros
03-25-2005, 04:40 PM
I know that Karate has the Belt system to measure a fighter's ability. But does Kung fu has anything like that to measure's one ability?

norther practitioner
03-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Depends on the school.

China came up with the duan system too...

but not "traditionally"

PangQuan
03-25-2005, 04:52 PM
generally with alot of students it makes it easier to teach with a rank system, a colored belt system has been incorporated into lots of kung fu for this reason.

I dont play too much into it though. Some schools you can get your black belt in a few years, some it will take you 10 years. I have met blackbelts who dont match up to some middle rank belts. And then i have met some that are seriously good.

Pk_StyLeZ
03-25-2005, 08:49 PM
belts are used to keep ur pants up traditionally....
and that wat i use mines for =)
and also belts are used for back support too
just like how those weight lifters use belts on there back..dat why kung fu people use belts too..same reason.....and keep pants up..=)

belts = ranks = level..is all bull crap to me..since every system/shool has there own way of reaching a black belt..so if u tell me u a black belt it doesnt mean anythin to me..jus like the guy above me stated..seen some good black belts..seen some black betls dat look like whit belts...all dont mean anything to me

wdl
03-26-2005, 09:00 AM
belts are used to keep ur pants up traditionally....
and that wat i use mines for =)
and also belts are used for back support too
just like how those weight lifters use belts on there back..dat why kung fu people use belts too..same reason.....and keep pants up..=)

You left out:

various partner stretches so they can pull you taunter
partner assisted one arm pushups to help students attain one without assistance
getting tied to your sparring opponent for a continuous fight
etc, etc, the list goes on and on

My point being, who cares about rank when you can use it as a training tool. As others have mentioned, I've seen black belts that I'd not hesitate to get into a fight with, then I've seen others that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot poll.

So what is a black belt? I appears by this reasoning it's a measure of how much time you've spent studying a martial art(assuming it takes atleast 3+ years for a black belt, I know big assumption) and whether or not you've actually done anything in that time period. From my observation, they either suck or they don't after atleast 3+ years in. :D

-Will

David Jamieson
03-31-2005, 10:39 AM
belts are used to recognize levels of achievment in an individual.

Coloured belts or other denotations of rank within a heirarchy are common, even in Buddhist temples! (look how monks are dressed compared to higher level monks compared to the abbot of the temple) All are ranked according to their station in the heirarchy.

anyway, they are not required, but in a kwoon, dojo or dojang, they are really quite useful in keeping things set and straight.

It makes it easy to identify who is who and what is what and where people are at in the curricullum. You go to school and achieve grades, I don't see a problem with the same thing in another type of school.

All martial arts schools I attended that were formal in their output had ranks, belts and sashes. Karate, TKD and Kungfu. All of em.

Plenty of serious traditional martial arts teachers use the system of belts or sashes.

In less formal type of training, they aren't necessary really. For instance an informal group of adults training really doesn't have a place for heirarchy.
But a mixed group in a publically operated kwoon crys out for structure and order and ergo belts are a tool to this end.

In summary, belts and sashes get some people uptight and other people can't give a rats ass whether they are used or not.

It really depends on who is giving the material and how they want to do it. Period.

g0pher
04-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Belts are more of a "Karate School" type thing. Most of the Kung Fu schools here in Philly, PA use no ranking system. For instance, in my schools we all wear the same black sash whether you have been here for 15 minutes or 15 years. The only rank we have is junior master, which is a red sash and it's given out hardly.

...Belt systems are only useful in a large class that does not accomodate a diverse group of students.... And for people who enjoy ego trips and saying they got a black belt in 3 months from Tiger Schulman's Karate.

Scythefall
04-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Belts don't make sense to me anymore. I've run into many people that haven't trained in years, but still quickly let people know that they have a black belt in a certain art. Through conversation, I've found many times that the person doesn't remember much of their system. When you reach the point that you're struggling to remember things associated with your "rank" are you still that rank?

If my Sifu wants to test me, that's good, because then he can let me know if I'm doing things correctly. I don't want a belt though..just more training.

Starchaser107
04-03-2005, 01:40 PM
The nature of Shaolin Kung Fu is to evolve to suit the times.
But really , there is no right or wrong when it comes to belts or sashes.
It's a good gauge of progress when used correctly, therefore it's adopted.
I think that a properly used ranking system is an effective method of quality control. And I reiterate Control. Because in alot of cases (hopefuly alot doesn't translate to most) the emphasis is placed on the rank and not the training itself.
Human beings are a heirarchial even if a no sash/belt/rank system is in place there would be an unspoken heirarchy.
People say "traditionally" and talk about "no-sash tradition" with such high esteem. I believe that this method can also have it's grave problems and injustices. Favouritism being one of them. In todays society especially in the west I think it's agood idea to have some tangible symbol of progress. The notion of proof being in the fists is not realistic especially in these times where such a thing is frowned upon. Of course certification increases the likelyhood of frauds and chaletans, however I think there are more benefits to it than drawbacks.
A student can have more visible goals motivating them to train harder.
It's easier to have an idea of who has greater physical proficiency or knowledge.
:cool:

Banjos_dad
04-06-2005, 07:36 PM
in our school you can't tell who has achieved what levels, by looking at them...we all wear the same thing.
achievement is based on where you're at in the curriculum. Sifu keeps records but since we're not a mega-mac-kwoon he basically just remembers who is doing what.

** edit

Sparring day also illustrates who is who pretty clearly... :D

GeneChing
12-30-2016, 09:54 AM
A black belt at age 10. In Shaolin Kung Fu. For young McDonald.

3 hours ago
Waterloo's Matthew McDonald closing in on kung fu black belt at age 10 (http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/7043038-waterloo-s-matthew-mcdonald-closing-in-on-kung-fu-black-belt-at-age-10/)

http://media.zuza.com/4/a/4a55563b-6f3b-4c05-a0f9-67e9a8b9803c/B822907060Z.1_20161230083919_000_G4R1PPVHH.1_Conte nt.jpg
Matthew McDonald trains at the Shaman Martial Arts Club in Waterloo, Monday

Waterloo Region Record
By Justin Fauteux

2016 was quite a year for Matthew McDonald.

The Waterloo native spent the past 12 months travelling around North America and coming away with piles of medals from some of the top martial arts competitions in the world. Now as McDonald prepares for 2017, which will bring more high-level competition, he also finds himself a few steps away from a black belt — at just 10 years old.

McDonald practises Shaolin kung fu, one of the oldest disciplines of Chinese martial arts. The sport combines sparring with opponents, and continuous fighting with empty-hand forms, and weapons patterns that are assessed by panels of judges at competitions.

"He competes in everything — forms, weapons, sparring, continuous fighting," said Julian Shamuon, McDonald's sifu (teacher) at the Shamuon Generation of Martial Arts club in Waterloo. "He also does something called extreme martial arts. That's where you incorporate gymnastics into the martial arts."

Shamuon, a decorated martial arts competitor himself, has been working with McDonald since day one.

McDonald was just five years old when he and his parents heard about the club through a family member and decided to give it a try.

"We tried it out and he immediately really took to it," said Rod McDonald, Matthew's dad. "He loved all the teachers and how they work with the kids. Progressing as fast as he has, it's because of how the teachers really take him under their wing."

"I really liked all the sifus," added Matthew. "It was really fun, but they made me work really hard."

After a couple years of training, Matthew began entering competitions when he was seven-years-old. And for the past few years he's been travelling around the United States and Canada — and even further afield, including stops in St. Maarten, Mexico and Costa Rica — and more often than not, coming home with medals.

In the past year alone Matthew — now a member of the National Martial Arts Council competitive team — has taken part in 18 competitions, coming away with 22 first-place finishes, 18 second-place finishes and 17 third-place finishes, regularly winning the "triple crown" — a gold medal in weapons, forms and sparring at a single competition.

As impressive as Matthew has been sparring with opponents or doing a pattern with a bow staff or a sword, what impresses Shamuon the most about his student is his maturity and work ethic, both of which go well beyond his 10 years.

"I wouldn't actually do this, but I could put Matthew on the floor, do the bow in and leave and I'd be confident in his ability to teach the class. That's the kind of 10-year-old he's become," said Shamuon, whose father, Tom, opened the club 10 years ago.

"If I ask him to do something even when he's dead tired, he'll give 100 per cent. He'll give it everything he's got. Never will he give any thing less than that."

While Shamuon wouldn't leave Matthew alone to teach his elite team — the group of students at the club who travel to top competitions — Matthew has already begun teaching, sometimes kids as young as three, four or five, but sometimes students his own age or older.

As 2017 begins, Matthew's competition schedule will heat up quickly, with January's International Congress of Martial Arts competition in Panama, followed quickly by a trip to Chicago for the first tournament of the year on the North American circuit.

Joining Matthew in Panama will be the entire Shamuon's elite team, which includes: Noah Slater, 14; Kate Slater, 10; Lexi McGann Barclay, 15; Jaycen Turner, 9; Evan Turner, 6; Matthew Boyd, 13; Linos Matti, 8; and Hannah Wright, 10.

As great as winning competition after competition has been for Matthew, he says what he's enjoyed most from participating in martial arts is the discipline he's learned and the chances he's had to meet people from all over the world.

"I'm really looking forward to the (Panama) heat and meeting some more new people, getting to see some new competitors.

With a full slate of competitions on the horizon, Matthew is also, if all goes well, just two levels away from his junior black belt. From there, he can work his way up to an adult black belt.

-N-
12-30-2016, 11:09 AM
One of my coworkers recently told me about her young daughter being very excited about getting her black belt.

Then she asked me if I had a black belt in kung fu.

I just smiled politely and we talked about how kung fu can help people overcome challenges of dysfunctional and abusive workplaces.