PDA

View Full Version : Workout for getting my wind back

CrippledAvenger
04-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Okay here's the deal, guys.

I've been cleared for intense workouts (finally) by my doctor following a broken leg and subsequent surgeries. But seeing as it's been about 5 months since I've been able to really work out, what is a good routine to get myself back into cardiovascular shape? So far, I'm running a mile and a half two days a week, and hitting the bag three days a week, but I keep feeling like there's got to be a better way to get my wind back.

Any suggestions?

Robinf
04-04-2003, 07:43 AM
Guerilla Cardio! That's what it's called.

You do any kind of cardio exercise you enjoy, for as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then slow down for 15 seconds, then... Do this for a minimum of 4 minutes. Be absolutely sure to warm up for 4 minutes first and warm down for 4 minutes after.

You can do the guerilla inside your typical cardio. I suggest at the end. Or you can do the guerilla instead of your typical workout--especially since you've been out for so long, take it easier to start.

But, if you decide to go a strict 30 - 60 minute workout, be sure you're getting your heartrate up to between 65 - 85% of your max heart rate for the cardio workout--not including warm up and warm down.

The guerilla has helped me so far. I do it for a four week stint (three times a week, on the days I don't do martial arts), and then take 4 weeks of regular cardio--just for variety, really.

Robin

Ford Prefect
04-04-2003, 08:02 AM
Do three miles on a track. Jog the first quarter mile, then sprint the next quarter mile. Go back to jogging and recover the next quarter mile, then sprint again... When you work up to an 7 minute mile do these two workouts:

3 Mile Track Workout -

Jog 1 mile in 7:00
Sprint 1/4 mile
Jog 1/4 mile in 2:00
Sprint 1/4 mile
Jog 1/4 mile in 2:00
Sprint 1/8 mile
Jog 1/8 mile in 1:00
Sprint 1/8 mile
Sprint 1/8 mile
Sprint 1/8 mile

4 Mile Track Workout -

Jog 1 mile in 7:00
3 x:
Sprint 1/4 mile
Jog 1/4 mile in 1:45
6 x:
Sprint 1/8 mile

This can turn you into a **** good cardio powerhouse in a few months. I'm currently training for a triathalon and I've had some great results using workouts like this.

Guile
04-04-2003, 10:30 AM
That is a pretty good wrokout from Ford Perfect.
I would do jump ropes, chcek out a few of the posts from the last month.

Guile
04-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Link to Jumprope post (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21080)

CrippledAvenger
04-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Sweet! thanks for the info guys...

As it stands, I'm not able to do as full of a workout as I used to, but this is the workout I'd like to work up to over the next few weeks:

M-W-F:

* 15 rounds of bagwork (depending on how loose I feel), split into jabs, hooks, crosses, combinations, and done both orthodox and southpaw.

* in between every 5 rounds of bagwork, I do 2 rounds of bodyweight excercizes-- alternating between pushups, pullups, hanging, and leg raises. The last 2 round break, I jump rope.

* at the begining and end of the workout, I do three rounds shadowboxing, working on footwork.

T-Th-Sat.:

Jog half a mile warm up, stretches

Alternating sprint/jogging for every 1/4 mile, for one mile.

Jog half a mile to cool down, stretch.

Does this seem feasible or do you guys think I'll be pushing myself a bit hard? If at all possible, I'd like to get myself into ring-shape for the begining of the summer, but I don't want to re-injure myself or overtrain.

Robinf
04-04-2003, 11:56 AM
How long are your rounds in your bag work?

You have to work up to what's comfortable for you. Some people think my personal work out is too much, some think it's too little. I'm happy, so I don't care.

CrippledAvenger
04-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Since my eventual goal is to fight in the Chicago golden gloves, I've been doing 2 minute rounds.

Actually, on second thought I think I'm going to pare down the monday and possibly Saturday workouts, because I also play rugby on the weekends and I'll probably be incredibly banged up by then.

Robinf
04-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan. You might want to pare down the running to two days a week and take a day off for rest, since you do play rugby--rough sport. If you feel your body can handle the running, then keep it up to 3 days. I have knee trouble, so I base my advise on that.

I wish you well in your endeavor. Golden Gloves will be quite an accomplishment.

Guile
04-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Yeah, the Rugby tackles hurt

CrippledAvenger
04-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Not to dredge up an old thread or anything, but I just wanted to say that I timed my mile today at 9:12 (versus 9:26 last week), so the workout is definitely begining to work.

Thanks guys!

Guile
04-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Glad you are making progress:)

Robinf
04-09-2003, 05:13 AM
That's great! Dredge up anything. We love to hear/read about success.

Kempo Guy
04-09-2003, 08:05 AM
Good work!

BTW, you may want to check into Taku's interval training, which you can find here. (http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml)

KG