PDA

View Full Version : Power Yoga

GoldenSPARTAN
04-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know of any websites of power yoga picture discriptions or do any of you do power yoga because I would like to learn and do it on the weekends because i am really sore from weight lifting and kung fu practice during the week and would like to do yoga to help my stress and to help my soreness but the only thing is that I dont have a place where I can join a yoga class can anyone help me thanks.:cool:

GoldenSPARTAN
04-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Can someone please reply if you dont no tell me dont just read my question and not reply. six of you have read my topic can someone please reply...someone. You help out all the newbies why not me oh well I guess most kung fu forums are like that I thought this one was different guess not.

GoldenSPARTAN
04-06-2003, 11:32 AM
hello hello 10 veiwers and still nothing

nothingness
04-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know where I can find any good power yoga in New York City?

just kidding. #1. It sounds like what you're looking for is not power yoga. Power yoga is a really TOUGH workout. I had a teacher tell me once that, among other things, one of his classes includes the equivalent of 50 pushups (with slow negatives). Basically, it sounds like what you're looking for is some good slow, relaxed HATHA yoga, or maybe even kundalini or iyengar. My recommendation would be to either go to the library or buy a book on yoga. Do a search on the author last name Iyengar- he's got a solid book out there (I think it might be called Light on Yoga). You can also get videos, which are the next best thing to a teacher. As in MA, however, learning from a teacher is best. luck

ZIM
04-06-2003, 03:26 PM
Not a lot of ppl go to this forum, unfortunately...

Here's an index of poses, good site, too. (http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/index.cfm)

"Ashtanga" yoga is AKA power yoga; look that up on google. You need a hot room for ashtanga, like 75 degrees or so, to loosen the muscles, then you get into breathing patterns and body locks. This is combined for the ujjayi breath, similar in some ways to sanchin breathing.

Hope that helps! Yoga is great... I'm still begininng in it.

GoldenSPARTAN
04-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks you guys im pretty sore for a 15 year old ill probaly take both of your advices.oh and thanks

Kristoffer
04-18-2003, 05:29 AM
SOmeone I know is very experienced in different Yoga's and he think's Astangha is the ''best'', most allround. He dislikes power yoga wich he says pulls tendons the wrong way

scannerb2
04-22-2003, 06:58 AM
You can try the Five Tibetan Rites. They only take about 5 minutes and many people claim they get more out of them than 2 hours of traditional yoga. Any search engine will show them. If you can't find them, let me know and I'll get them.

GoldenSPARTAN
04-22-2003, 07:47 AM
What is the 5 Tibetan Rites mean.

scannerb2
04-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Here they are:

http://www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm

Give em a try for a month or so and let me know what you think

Taomonkey
04-22-2003, 01:53 PM
have practiced yoga for 7 years, taught for 3, if you cant find a good teacher definately check out Light on Yoga by Iengar. Its a great system for the martial artist. As for the modern hot room, skip it and go outside. You'll sweat werever you do the Iengar yoga. I would start with basic hatha for a few months untill you have a good level of flexability.

GoldenSPARTAN
04-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Thanks Scannerb2 I have been doing the 5 rites for two days now and the first thing noice I got done with them is a in increase in strength im nowwhere near a month but I do expect great results in a month and will reply to this topic about the 5 Rites in a month. Is the 5 Rites better than Yoga I hane noticed that some of the moves are from yoga? I'll probaly do the 5 Rite 7 days a week and do some type of yoga during the weekend whether its Ashtanga or Hatha yoga (i'll probaly mixed them together). I might look up that book Light of Yoga by Ienger on amazon .com or just look for it at the local Border's book store or Barne's and Noble or maybe even the libarey.

IronFist
09-09-2003, 12:28 PM
wtf is power yoga?

chen zhen
09-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Another way of capitalizing on an eastern discipline gotten popular.

hope that gives the picture;)

yenhoi
09-09-2003, 02:46 PM
http://welcome.to/shotdownmind

links has much concerning yoga.

lots of gyms and fitness places call pilates power yoga, and many in my area offer something like cardio yoga that they use the same marketing for.

Yoga depends on the teacher, sect, and type.

Search posts by prana and fa_jing

:eek: