PDA

View Full Version : Reprints of old articles?

freedom76
04-04-2003, 06:46 PM
I went to buy the Oct/Nov '98 issue (Cung Le on the cover) for the 18 Luohan article, but to my surprise it is sold out. I have bought some other back issues, but I was wondering (hoping) if there is a chance that you might reprint some of the articles from back issue that are sold out. Apparently they were pretty popular. Or perhaps there is another way to get a back issue that is sold out...Thank you, I do enjoy your magazine. By the way, when was the latest issue (Lou Reed) mailed? I haven't received it yet, but it's been on newstands foe awhile.

GeneChing
04-22-2003, 03:51 PM
... sometimes our distributors get our magazines out before we even see them. Magazine distribution is weird that way.

But as to your question, we may one day do reprints, but it's a back burner project. We have discussed posting them all on the website here, or making books like some other mags do, but we have yet to decide on a serious plan. FWIW, sold out issues are more a result of our print run than popularity. If we think we have a particularly hot issue, we print extra. Sometimes we misjudge and either get sold out or are left with hundreds of back issues. Sometimes our printer messes up. Once we lost several thousand issues to a printer error and had to scramble just to fillour subscriptions. We don't print there anymore. They gave us a refund, but we still took the loss on the print run. Anyway, we hear you and are thinking about what to do with our popular sold out stuff, but I can't say that we'll do anything soon. Your best bet for a reprint is to ask someone here on the forum. Unfortunately, I can't do reprints here even though I have access to the issues - it's a company policy thing. But I'm sure someone has a copy out there that they might be willing to copy for you.

freedom76
04-29-2003, 11:30 AM
I did finally get the Lou Reed issue. I was actually surprised that I liked the article about him. I didn't think I would. I also understand that the publishing business is quite touchy and fluid. A book of forms from the magazines would be nice.
I don't want to break copyright law to get a copy of the luohan article, but I would definitely like to see it.
Would a copy for personal use violate the copyright (knowing that I didn't purchase the original copy)?

GeneChing
04-30-2003, 09:19 AM
Seriously, do you think we can send out copyright ninjas to break down your down and get bust you for an illegal xerox of some old article?

norther practitioner
04-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Seriously, do you think we can send out copyright ninjas to break down your down and get bust you for an illegal xerox of some old article?

Gene, I'll send you my resume`

freedom76
04-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Gene: I was just asking because my wife and I have our own business where copyrights are very important. I'll keep a look out for those men dressed in black. Would it say tigerclaw across their backs by chance?:rolleyes:

shaolin kungfu
04-30-2003, 12:16 PM
Copyright ninja's are totally sweet!

GeneChing
04-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Our ninjas are babes. (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/sexyninja.html)

freedom76
04-30-2003, 05:29 PM
:rolleyes:
How can you tell?

GeneChing
05-01-2003, 09:42 AM
I dress them. :eek: :D :cool: