PDA

View Full Version : Do I sound disrespectful?

Shaolin Dude
04-05-2003, 11:31 PM
my sifu told me to do a form in front of my other classmates and I said no. and do any of you have stage fright?

shaolin kungfu
04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Just flat out saying no probably sounded disrespectful.

Also, you'll never get over stage fright if you never perform.

PHILBERT
04-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Yes, that is rather disrespectful. Does your Sifu know you have stage fright?

jon
04-05-2003, 11:42 PM
Why did your sifu want you to perform infront of the class?

PHILBERT
04-06-2003, 12:16 AM
jon, I will perform in front of the class too sometimes the first form while my teacher does something else with some other students. Plus he is watching to see how I do the form, how I flow, etc. And sometimes other students in my class will do the form. I think I've lead the class through Sil Lum Tao probably 4 or 5 times.

Usually when he has someone do the form its `cause the higher students are gonna go do the second form.

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 12:37 AM
Yeah, I would say that you sound disrespectful.

I your sifu asked you do perform than he had a certain purpose in mind.
Doing a Form in front of the whole class in the beginning can be a bit unnerving.

Where I train Sifu corrects a few Students at a time in front of the whole class.
;)

scotty1
04-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Don't worry about it unless he seemed really p!ssed.

Apologise in private before the next lesson and explain to him why.

jon
04-06-2003, 01:07 AM
My reason for asking is that its hard to know what his sifu had in mind for him to be refusing in the first place.

I perform in public a lot, to be honest i shake horribly before i start and i still find it hard to do. I often have to perform infront of important people as well and this of course adds to the whole fear thing.
I have a habbit of basicaly just doing my thing and ignoring the crowd. Most times when i finish i have no idea if people enjoyed it or not and have to ask my other team mates.
Still to be honest...
This pales in comparison to having to actualy use your stuff for real or even just against someone trying to do you real harm. My advice is dive in the deep cold water and just try to get used to it. IMHO its all part and parcel of being a martial artist.

TjD
04-06-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin Dude
my sifu told me to do a form in front of my other classmates and I said no. and do any of you have stage fright?

i think you definatley sounded disrespectful by flat out saying no. you choose a teacher because you think he is the one who can teach you good kung fu (or whatever your taking). if you cannot trust his judgement then you can't be a good student. that is unless your taking some martial art where your teacher is an obvious fraud :D

either way, you should have sucked it up and done your form. if you cant do your form in front of your classmates who you should respect and trust, how are you going to do any of the motions when **** gets thrown down and your in a real fight?

Stacey
04-06-2003, 10:07 AM
your a *****,

How can you ever fight, if you don't have the stones to make a mistake in front of others.

You will never be a martial artist as long as you carry this pattern.

You are tipped by the assumed thoughts of others. Your neck deep in illusion and too afraid to do something simple. You will crumble in combat.

You were disrespectful and your Sifu will teach you the watered down version of everything. Take up badminton, your wasting your time in the martial arts.

guohuen
04-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Stage fright is a big deal. Performing and fighting are not the same thing. Chastising someone for something beyond their immediate control is not helpful.

Stacey
04-06-2003, 10:18 AM
no, but they both require an extinguished ego, confidence and a selfless lack of fear. This sally has none of the above. on top of that, he was disrespectful to his Sifu, so he made the school worse for everyone and he won't be taught as well, because it wont matter.

ok...then, your earth isn't producing wood......get that checked out...you be a'ight.

Vapour
04-06-2003, 10:20 AM
You must make sure that your sifu understand why you said no. If you haven't next time you see him apologised to him first and explain to him the reason. He probably appreciate you doing that.

shaolin kungfu
04-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Can someone please tell me why a man would call themself stacey on an internet forum? I have a theory.

bung bo
04-06-2003, 10:31 AM
i think it was a bit disrespectful. appologize to your teacher in private and discuss it with him. but, seriously, the only way to overcome it will be to face it head on. if you don't, you'll develop a bad habit of not being assertive. and , like stacey said, your teacher WILL teach watered down gong fu.

the first time i performed in front of an audience(tai chi performance)i was real nervous. then i did some mantis stuff on this past chinese new year in front of a lot bigger audience. i was way calmer the second time. that mindset that motivates stagefright is useless and self-destructive. plus, it is admirble to see someone perform if you know they have stagefright and they did it anyway. your teacher will respect you more if you show him you can do that.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-06-2003, 11:56 AM
da mn guys, it might not have been that big of a deal. i mean if sifu just came up and said hey would you do this form and he said that he'd rather not then it's not disrespectful. if sifu pushed it and he still refused that's different, but we don't know. either way i wouldn't lose any sleep over it. just suck it up and do it next time.

how long have you been at this class? if you haven't been there that long i could understand being nervous, but the only way to overcome that is to say fu ck it and do it anyway. i do not agree that fear of performing in front of people relates to combat efficiency in any way, but it does reflect character. those who can perform with butterflys have more balls then those who take to it naturally and balls will help you in all walks of life.

Stacey
04-06-2003, 12:20 PM
I'm Russian

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Aagree with GDA that performing in front of someone has nothing to do with combat efficiency.

I like many others do training in the park, I simply choose a quiet corner and do my thing.
Sometimes pole come up to watch, some make a few comments and some come and train along for a bit.

Stacey
04-06-2003, 01:59 PM
Thats because your a wuss too.

joedoe
04-06-2003, 04:38 PM
If your sifu is reasonable it won't bother him. Don't worry too much about it, just talk to him. It is normal to get nervous about performing - you are worried that you might stuff up. Learn to deal with it and after the first few times it gets a lot easier.

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 04:45 PM
Shaolin Dude.

Forget to mention one thing.
In my school every student that has trained 1yr or more has to join into demo's during tournaments, meetings, Seminars, etc.

Up to now each school where I trained at one time or another asked their students to do a demo either in front of the class or public.

I guess it comes with the territory.
;)

Tiger_Yin
04-06-2003, 05:16 PM
holy ****,

you people are mad :eek: talking disrespect because someone was opposed to performing.. what are u poeple..cultists? since when has kungfu or any arts for that matter OBLIGATED someone to perform for others??? If the man doesnt want to... the teacher should understand and let it be. u all sound like mad raving lunatics :| you idolise your teachers too much :D me and the people who teach me speak on an equal level.. in class or outside training. i know they are better then me.. they know theyre better then me.. so whast the use ok totaly kissing there behinds? we do the formalities..but if something liek this would happen.. itd end there.. no remorse... god.. u all need to loosen up this isnt the army..

Peace!

Stacey
04-06-2003, 07:10 PM
your French aren't you?

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Tiger_Yin
we do the formalities..but if something liek this would happen.. itd end there.. no remorse... god.. u all need to loosen up this isnt the army..

Yep, it ain't the army neither is it the "Pink little fairy playground for rebelling children".
:D

As many pointed out performing in front of people is part of learning a MA.

Cheers.

Serpent
04-06-2003, 09:08 PM
No it's not.

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
No it's not.

Not sure if this is directed at me or Tiger_Yin.

My viewpoint is if you can't perform your form in front of your Sifu, Sihing and fellow students than how can you get good corrections and be shown your flaws.

I learn as much from my Sifu as I do by observing others doing our forms.

Cheers.

Serpent
04-06-2003, 09:19 PM
Yeah, it was directed at you, Laughing Cow.

Demnstrating forms for your teacher for correction is essential. Demonstrating a form for your calssmates is not.

Admittedly, demonstraing and being corrected in front of the class is common, but it's not necessarily "a part of learning MA."

Just being picky really, but it's a relevant point.

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Serpent.

We need to agree to disagree on this point.
;)

Cheers.

joedoe
04-06-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow
Serpent.

;)

Cheers.

What?!?!?!?!?! You guys need to argue your points of view around in at least 15 more circles before you are allowed to agree to disagree. :D

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by joedoe

What?!?!?!?!?! You guys need to argue your points of view around in at least 15 more circles before you are allowed to agree to disagree. :D

Naaah.
You will have to look for your entertainment somewhere else.

:D :D

joedoe
04-06-2003, 09:45 PM
And no namecalling?!?!?! What kind of argument is this? :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-06-2003, 10:19 PM
yeah ... im disapointed in the two of you. somewhere in heaven a geek has lost his tricorder.

Serpent
04-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Serpent.

;)

Cheers.

In order to add some colour into the lives of joedoe and GDA:

Laughing Cow, you little b!tch, what the hell do you know? You obviously have a charlatan for a sifu that just likes you to perform for him like a dancing terrier in a pink chifon tutu. Get a life!

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

In order to add some colour into the lives of joedoe and GDA:

Laughing Cow, you little b!tch, what the hell do you know? You obviously have a charlatan for a sifu that just likes you to perform for him like a dancing terrier in a pink chifon tutu. Get a life!

Sorry, no go today.

Too busy reading my NEW Chen TJQ book, you will have to take a number and wait at the end of the queue for your turn.

;) ;)

Serpent
04-06-2003, 10:36 PM

joedoe
04-06-2003, 10:40 PM
That's more like it Serpent. LC is being a little f@g though. Wouldn't surprise me if he were French :D

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Joedoe.

If I were french you could suck my "freedom fry".

:p

Now go away and play doctor with serpent and let the adults read.

joedoe
04-06-2003, 10:44 PM
LOL! BTW Chen TJQ is for girls :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-06-2003, 10:51 PM
calling him a pu ssy was my favorate part.

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 11:02 PM
LOL! BTW Chen TJQ is for girls :D

So why haven't you taken it up than??

Sorry, forgot you are the founder of:

"Fight like a girl club"

joedoe
04-06-2003, 11:16 PM
Hey hang on. Why are we doing the namecalling. You and Serpent are supposed to be namecalling! :D

Then reason I haven't started learning Chen TJQ is because I heard you were doing it and I figured it was too girly for me :D

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 11:21 PM
Then reason I haven't started learning Chen TJQ is because I heard you were doing it and I figured it was too girly for me :D

True you would never achieve the grace and softness needed to master it.

;)

joedoe
04-06-2003, 11:30 PM

True you would never achieve the grace and softness needed to master it.

;)

Grace & softness - so that is how you explain away the limp wrist now? ;)

Serpent
04-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Joedoe.

If I were french you could suck my "freedom fry".

:p

Now go away and play doctor with serpent and let the adults read.

There are adults here!?

Serpent
04-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
calling him a pu ssy was my favorate part.

Yeah, pussies are my favourite parts too.

ShaolinTiger00
04-07-2003, 06:52 AM
At one time my sifu's school was at the busy intersection of a suburb. In good weather we would often practice forms and weapons outside in the parking lot. I was at first very shy about performing in front of a crowd, but as time went on, soon learned to block them out and focus. We recieved all sorts of attention. Honking horns, people comming over to watch and ask questions, guys yelling kias from moving cars.. it all became very natural.

If you don't perform in front of a crowd, you won't be able to get over the fear.

No_Know
04-07-2003, 07:34 AM
Your Sifu might not have asked if it wasn't good for you, the other students or the School. You might not realize it yet but your class mates are like family. Family like we love you no matter what.

Former castleva
04-07-2003, 08:32 AM
You can always say "yeah,right) "f**k no!" :rolleyes:

Sorry,could not resist the flow.

jun_erh
04-07-2003, 12:49 PM
I actually know his sifu and you don't say no to this guy. He's very into formalities. One time some one yelled out his name at a tournament and he leaped over the judges table ( "like a bird" my teacher recalled) to find the ******* who would dare call him by his name and not MASTER _____ .

apoweyn
04-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Then it seems kinda odd that Shaolin Dude would be suffering any confusion over whether he was disrespectful. Sounds like his sifu would have given him some 'feedback' straight away.

Not adding up, this.

Stuart B.

joedoe
04-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by jun_erh
I actually know his sifu and you don't say no to this guy. He's very into formalities. One time some one yelled out his name at a tournament and he leaped over the judges table ( "like a bird" my teacher recalled) to find the ******* who would dare call him by his name and not MASTER _____ .

Sounds like he has a huge ego rather than being very into formalities.

Tiger_Yin
04-07-2003, 04:53 PM
heh.. ego comes along with having a class or two always calling you master.. he probably let's it go to his head :D

what about my being french anyways? :| since when is that a point to down someone on :rolleyes: go back to ur mother russia where babies are born with three eyes and defformed arms :D commy... :rolleyes:...

joedoe
04-07-2003, 05:17 PM
heh.. ego comes along with having a class or two always calling you master.. he probably let's it go to his head :D

what about my being french anyways? :| since when is that a point to down someone on :rolleyes: go back to ur mother russia where babies are born with three eyes and defformed arms :D commy... :rolleyes:...

Actually, you can have 50 classes calling you master and still not let it go to your head. ;)

The French thing was a joke. Or don't you have jokes in French? :D

BTW I ain't from Russia :D

Former castleva
04-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Sounds like an ego master.

dezhen2001
04-07-2003, 05:33 PM
BTW I ain't from Russia :D where he lives is not even cold :D

dawood

Tiger_Yin
04-07-2003, 05:49 PM
nooooo no no no i ment that stacy guy :p he said the french thing didnt he? o_O

and hell... dunno much occidentals that wouldnt let 500 good fallowers calling him master get his ego inflated a bit :D

joedoe
04-07-2003, 06:13 PM
nooooo no no no i ment that stacy guy :p he said the french thing didnt he? o_O

and hell... dunno much occidentals that wouldnt let 500 good fallowers calling him master get his ego inflated a bit :D

Well, I made a joke about being French too. I don't know if Stacey did because he is on my ignore list :D

I think that regardless of ethnic background, having a lot of 'followers' would put anyone at risk of growing an oversized ego ;)

Tiger_Yin
04-07-2003, 06:15 PM
god forbid the all mighty chinese grow and ego :O what would budha say :P

ignore list... theres a thought :D i dont even come here often..and he already agravates me :/

joedoe
04-07-2003, 06:19 PM
god forbid the all mighty chinese grow and ego :O what would budha say :P

ignore list... theres a thought :D i dont even come here often..and he already agravates me :/

The only way the Chinese get an ego is to grow one - we are born without one. A quirk of genetics :D

The ignore list is indeed a wonderful thing.

Shaolin Dude
04-07-2003, 11:11 PM
after I said no, sifu then asked another person to do it with me. when I was doing the form, he was saying this speech like don't be afraid(something like that).

hey jun_erh, are you talking about my sifu? cuz everyone in my kwoon calls him by his first name.

Laughing Cow
04-07-2003, 11:16 PM
after I said no, sifu then asked another person to do it with me. when I was doing the form, he was saying this speech like don't be afraid(something like that).

Learning to do the form in front of an audience, IMO, is a good thing.

It really teaches you do concentrate on the form and not your surroundings.

And, YES, I am still nervous when I have to demo as I still feel that I am not good enough.
;)

In November I am going to be part of about 200 students doing a mass-demo, and I don't want to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

So lots of motivation for hard training.

Still better than having to demo your form in Chen Village though, as some of our students will soon do.

apoweyn
04-08-2003, 04:27 AM

hey jun_erh, are you talking about my sifu? cuz everyone in my kwoon calls him by his first name.

Doesn't sound like the same cat that jumps over tables and berates people for not calling him 'master.'

To my mind, you weren't disrespectful. You had stage fright. It wasn't that you didn't feel like doing it.

But here's the thing: He's your teacher, right? If you aren't going to trust, to some degree, that he knows what he's doing, then what's the point? If he asks you to do the form in front of the class, he's obviously got a high degree of trust in you. He's not going to put you up there to humiliate you. And there is a lot to learn from performing in front of people. So while I don't think you were disrespectful exactly, I do think you need to do what he asks despite suffering from stage fright. After all, you didn't sign up for kung fu classes to not be challenged. You signed up to better yourself. Right?

Stuart B.

jun_erh
04-08-2003, 03:15 PM
sdude - I meant no disrespect. Is your sifu the asian guy or the other guy? Maybe there were other circumstances

Shaolin Dude
04-08-2003, 10:55 PM
my sifu is yao li

Mr Punch
04-09-2003, 01:44 AM
You should disembowel yourself.

Or lie down in front of a tank in Baghdad with a plastic gun whilst Freedom-kissing a dead HK Chinese with a face turned purple.

Doing forms in public is not necessary for good kungfu. But as GDA put it, it's a good ball-development exercise.

shaolin kungfu
04-09-2003, 01:47 AM
I'll go with mat on this. Commit seppuku, it's the only way to regain honor.:rolleyes:

shaolinboxer
04-09-2003, 07:53 AM
You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. However, if you do things that you are afraid of (not self-destructive things however), you will build strength. If your sifu has good insight, he may see that this is a hard thing for you to do and will guide you to the point where you are ready to break through your fears and reach a higher level of your personal kungfu. Even if you look like crap, you will have made a huge improvement ;).