PDA

View Full Version : Ba Gua Schools in San Diego

Kodiack
04-06-2003, 04:31 AM
Hello everybody. I hope you can help me out. I am interested in studying Ba Gua Zhang and was wondering if there are any qualified instructors in San Diego Ca. I have some prior MA background (Aikido, not that it matters much when you start a new art) but have always been interested in Ba Gua.
Any help in finding a quality teacher of Ba Gua in San Diego would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Stacey
04-06-2003, 10:22 AM
your aikido will help more than you know......you'll just get a foundation to make it all work together.

Kodiack
04-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks for your reply Stacey. I'm sure my prior MA experience will help, but I always try and "empty my cup" when learning something new.
I did a Google search for Bagua teachers in SD and found a couple. Mike Patterson teachs in La Mesa (just outside SD) and there is a guy named Rogelio Lopez listed as a certified instructor under Master Bok-Nam Park. Anybody know these people?
I'm still looking and any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks.

J
04-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Hello,

I don't know of any bagua schools, but Steve Martin teaches Liu He Ba Fa. Go to www.sojournpast.com (or something like it).

Cheers,
J

Waidan
04-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Hey there,

Mike Patterson is reputed to be a very good instructor. His website and school info can be found here (http://www.hsing-i.com).

Hope that helps :)

stma
04-07-2003, 08:35 AM
Victor Crandall teaches Cheng Tinghua Style in Chula Vista.
victorcrandall@yahoo.com

Kodiack
04-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Waidan and STMA thanks for your help. I will be checking out your suggestions.
Anybody else with any ideas?
Thanks

Justa Man
04-07-2003, 04:33 PM
you can try rogelio lopez at lindleylopez@cox.net

he teaches park's pa kua.

www.pa-kua.com

Rory
04-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Hey I did look for Bagua About 2 years ago and did a pretty extensive search for one. Sadly Theres not the best internaly community in san diego. Even most Tai Chi places are really bad one person I have looked at and found his credentials to be quite good and his form is to the website is http://taichimaster.go.to/. But on Bagua he doesnt teach at least not when I met him. BUt Dont Get involved with MIKE PATTERSON hes not very good go take a look for yourself. E-mail me if you have any questions Rory@nethere.com

uncle
04-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Do yourself a great favor and look up Sifu Jason Tsaohttp://www.chikungintl.com :cool:

Ima Pseudonym
04-14-2003, 12:01 PM
if you aren't deadset on bagua or don't find an instructor to your liking in that particular style, check out the school i train at. www.tigerkungfu.com
i guess you could call it a "lesser known" internal style.

D

Kodiack
04-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi Everybody! Thanks for all of your replies. Thusfar I've only found a couple people that teach Bagua in SD. Rogilio Lopez teaches Bok Nam Parks version of Bagua. I observed one of his classes. He is a really nice guy and serious about his training.
I've also been in contact with Victor Crandall and am going to visit one of his classes, hopefully this week. I'm not going to decide whom I would like to train with until I've seen each instructor personally.
As for Chen Taichi, it looks very interesting. If I can't find a Bagua instructor I'm going to look into it as an alternative.
What I'm looking for is a school/teacher that can teach the martial/combative aspects of whatever internal system I decide to train.
Thanks for all your help, my search continues.
David

cha kuen
04-14-2003, 07:07 PM
Mike Patterson is very good at what he does, even if he doesn't get along with many people. There are 4 good teachers in san diego

Mike Patterson - Hsing Yi, chen tai chi, pa kua
Steve Martin - waterboxing, dragon, mok gar
Mike Dasargo - northern mantis
Frank Primicias - choy lay fut

cha kuen
04-15-2003, 04:28 AM
You should check out Steve Martin too. Waterboxing is an internal style and not known by many.

Steve is a great guy, really nice, and he dedicated his entire life to kung fu. You can learn waterboxing from him a few days a week. He's also gives all of his students free form correction on the other days - such as the daytime.

He's always at the school morning til nite so I would say that, if you were serious, you could get a lot from him.

Leimeng
04-26-2003, 10:43 PM
~ I heard there is a disciple of Li Zi Ming in San Diego, but I am not sure he is teaching.
~ There are also some people associated with Dr Vince Black and the North American Tang Shou Tao association in San Diego area. Those would be my first two reccomendations.
~ The only other person who I know who has good Hsing-I, Bagua type of internal skills that is easily accessable who I would reccomend would be Mike Patterson.
~I hope that helps some or at least confuses you all the more.
:)

Peace,

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

:cool:

cha kuen
04-27-2003, 03:21 PM
KOdiack,

So what have you chosen?

kungfuyou
04-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Kodiak,

Sorry I missed this thread?? Depending on where you live in SD, my old Sifu is in Escondido and teaches Pa Kua and Hung Gar. The name of the school is:

Escondido Kung Fu and Tai Chi.
2435 East Valley Pkwy, Escondido, 92027
760-745-4495.

Go check him out, you might see like what you see!! :)

Good luck