PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay attention to?

Phenix
04-06-2003, 02:53 PM
While praticing the Wu and Fook routine in SLT/SNT, or as in some lineage called it Sam Bai Fut. Some are practicing this part for a long time....

IMHO, there are concepts of Yee, Ying Yang medirian's flow, .. and six direction resultant force..... involved in the practice of SLT/SNT.

So,
What do you pay attention to when you slowly practice this part of SLT/SNT? what do you expect to gain from this practice?

PHILBERT
04-06-2003, 03:34 PM
I pay attention the the movements as I perform them.

TjD
04-06-2003, 05:10 PM
i pay attention to my whole body in this section.

i focus on relaxing my legs/waist/torso/arms (the whole body), keeping the elbow in, the pelvis forward, the back straight, and making sure my other arm stays properly chambered.

after awhile of practicing wing chun and siu lim tau, the fook sau automatically begins to move outward on its own, the wu sau automatically moves backwards. in my school we focus our intent (*intent*, not muscles) on pulling the arm back and slowing the outward motion on fook sau, and pushing the arm out and slowing the inward motion on wu sau.

sifu calls what this trains jarn di lik (if i spelt it correctly) or downard elbow energy.

Marshdrifter
04-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Moving...

forward...

slowly...

kj
04-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Phenix
What do you pay attention to when you slowly practice this part of SLT/SNT?
Kim sut, lok ma, ting yu, deng tau, mai jahng. Settle.

Send, but don't follow. Be long and lasting.

Precision.

Patience, not haste or greediness. Learn to "allow."

Tolerance; "Savor the bitterness."

Jiang dai lik.

While I want to achieve these, and other things, I don't actually want to pay particular attention to any of them. I'm still working especially hard on that part, LOL.

what do you expect to gain from this practice?

Great posture, stability, and a strong horse. Internalization of movement and perfect positioning. A calm, focused, and neutral attitude. "Energy from the floor." Unity. For starters, anyway.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Phenix
04-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by kj

Great posture, stability, and a strong horse. Internalization of movement and perfect positioning. A calm, focused, and neutral attitude. "Energy from the floor." Unity. For starters, anyway.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Hi KJ,

IMHO, for me,

The different between a tree and a sun in the sky is that the sun float with the resultance force from 6 directions: up down, left right, forward backward, and still travel with it's track.
Some call the six direction force Peng. some call the six direction force Fighting force. some call the six direction force Sun potential.........

The tree stand there sinking it's root to the deep earth and never be able to travel.... A tree is better then a wood standing resting mounting to a wall. but it is not a sun....it break in the join when applied force.

with the sun, the wu and fook travel.....

"As it say's K1 is not the root and Dan dien is not the control. the willow spine flexibility such as not a bone, one hands spreading it is a thousand hand....."

the only way to achieve a thousand hand is in the domain of Yee........... the body decay but the yee never touch by the aging.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the sky opened up for me,
And the mountain disappeared,
If the seas ran dry, turned to dust
And the sun refused to rise
I would still find my way,
By the light I see in your eyes
The world I know fades away
But you stay

Only when the world one "know" fades away that one stay.. theta. then alpha:D

gnugear
04-07-2003, 09:03 PM
Lately I've been trying to melt down more

sel
04-07-2003, 10:43 PM
i think the main purpose for practising sil lim tao is to learn to use the power of your mind to do the movements. providing you have correct structure, focus and relaxation, you can concentrate on achieving this.
accordingly, when i practise i first spend some time correcting any structural faults, getting my body and mind into a relaxed state and then doing the movements with the projection of my thought/intent into them.
in terms of learning how to overcome and generate force, the first part of the form is most important, so i try to practise it even more than the other parts.

kj
04-08-2003, 05:16 AM
Nice post, sel.

I think what you describe requires patience; not something effectively achieved by rushing.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

reneritchie
04-08-2003, 07:59 AM
I focus on different things on different occasions. IMHO, there aren't any "locked in stone" answers, otherwise your training is dead. Sometimes I concentrate on my path (position over movement), sometimes on directing the power, sometimes on what a single joint is doing, sometimes on how the link is working together, sometimes on the overall powers, sometimes on the specific ones, etc. etc. etc.