PDA

View Full Version : "I don't need any lessons in patriotism by the likes of Tom De Lay" - John Kerry

Chang Style Novice
04-06-2003, 06:49 PM
I don't think it gets better in public life, and certainly not in mine, than to be introduced by my brother, Max Cleland.

We were part of a special band of brothers in the U.S. Senate, Max Cleland, Bob Kerrey at one point, John McCain, Chuck Hagel, Chuck Robb, myself, and I'll tell you seriously that those of you who have served in the military, in particular those of you who've been in combat that share this sentiment with me, it's as close as men who don't throw the word around easily can get to loving another man in the most connected, personal, and extraordinary way, and when I think about Max Cleland saying something about Hemingway and grace under pressure as he just did I think all of you should join me in sharing the sense that this man, who left three limbs on the battlefield in Vietnam for this country, deserves better than what the Republican Party gave him in the last election here in Georgia.

Five months ago here in Georgia, Max Cleland's position on national security, known to all his colleagues, was deliberately distorted, and that was particularly outrageous given the kind of sacrifice and service that he has given this country. There is something very wrong in America when a hero like Max Cleland who has made his contribution is subjected to the worst in American politics. He ought to be in the U.S. Senate today. And let me tell you, every day in the course of my race for the presidency of the United States I will be motivated -- and I ask you to help me be motivated -- to hold them accountable for what they did to Max Cleland.

Max, who talked about grace under pressure, and I just want to share with you that for those of us who got to know him and love him so much in the U.S. Senate, who watched his personal effort each day, for anyone who needs an example not just of grace under pressure, but grace in life itself, I think you would share with me that Max Cleland is an example to every single American and we are grateful for his love of this country, for his patriotism, and for his contribution to all of our lives. Max, thank you, for who you are and what you have done ...

But let me just share today something I feel very strongly about, because today I had the pleasure of having Tom DeLay, Denny Hastert, and a score of other Republicans come out of the woodwork to attack me for speaking out regarding the direction of our country when I spoke up in New Hampshire yesterday.

I think that Max who served with me and many who have served share with me this belief: I don't need any lessons in patriotism or caring about America from the likes of Tom DeLay and the right wing, whose motivations can be questioned ... And the one thing that passed in the mind of those of us who served, who have fought for freedom, and the one thing that all those who are in the Middle East fighting today is the cherished rights of Americans to question and debate the democracy of our nation and to turn this country in the directions that we believe are in the best interests of America. Tom DeLay, hear me loud and clear: I speak out for America, not for politics, and as long as I have air in my lungs I will continue to speak my mind ...

Here in the South -- perhaps more than in any other part of this nation -- service, patriotism, and duty aren't buzzwords. They're a way of life. I believe we need national leadership that sees service that same way -- not as a slogan and rhetoric, but as a cause and a commitment.

Unfortunately, this administration has failed to honor the service of citizens who are doing what's right. After Sept. 11, Americans wanted to contribute and to serve. This administration told them to go shopping. They have cut AmeriCorps when we should be expanding it so every young person has the opportunity to perform national service. But nothing flies in the face of the values of duty and service more than what this administration is doing when it comes to fulfilling our obligation to our troops, our veterans, and their families. We can do better -- and our soldiers deserve no less.

We made a sacred bond with these men and women when we asked them to risk their lives for their country. And this administration has failed to hold up its side of the bargain. Just as we wouldn't think of sending our military into battle without the uniforms and equipment they need, we shouldn't neglect to care for our troops and their families before, during, and after the war. Yet, 20 percent of our Reservists and their families don't have healthcare coverage.

And at the same time that American soldiers are engaged in battle at home, this administration is proposing substantial cuts in federal school aid to children of military families. As we learned the hard way after Vietnam, our duty to our troops doesn't end when the battle is won. Those that put their lives on the line have earned a lifetime of support. And America must live up to that commitment.

Yet, two months ago, this administration announced it would suspend enrollment in the healthcare system of at least 160,000 qualified veterans. And now they want to deny another 230,000 veterans the healthcare they deserve.

And many of the vets already in the system are doing little better. More than 200,000 veterans are waiting six months or more for their first doctor's visit. We need to do much more to deal with this backlog and get the veterans healthcare system ready for the hundreds of thousands of vets who will be returning from Iraq. Yet, this administration says we cannot afford healthcare for veterans because they prefer a massive tax cut that harms economic growth and gives the greatest benefit to those with the least need. Today the Republican majority leader in the House of Representatives announced that -- and I quote -- "Nothing is more important in the face of war than cutting taxes." Let me make this clear: Never in its history has the United States passed a big tax cut in a time of war. We have always believed in shared sacrifice.

And I say to Tom DeLay, one thing I know about America is that in the face of war there are things more important than cutting taxes and it is wrong to reward the wealthiest Americans before we fulfill our solemn obligations to those that have served.

Georgia's brave sons and daughters have borne more than their share of the burdens of battle. Your heroes include soldiers like Chief Warrant Officer Ronald Young Jr. His dream was to be a pilot. And he made it. But when his Apache helicopter went down in Iraq, he was captured and is now being held as a prisoner of war.

Tonight, our thoughts are with all the prisoners and all the families of those held, lost, or fighting -- let us go home and say a prayer that he and all the troops are safe at home soon. But we need to do more than think and pray -- we need to vow that they'll come home to an America that keeps its promise to them, not one that turns its back on those who served.

And let's make sure they come home to an America that is moving forward -- where Democrats are fighting for them and for what's right.

Chang Style Novice
04-06-2003, 07:04 PM
...and while I'm on the subject, can we PLEASE have Geraldo Rivera buried alive for revealing the specifics of troop movements on live TV?

rogue
04-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Yet, 20 percent of our Reservists and their families don't have healthcare coverage.

Well maybe Mr Kerry could help them by liquidating his new found fortune and pay for at least some of their healthcare himself. Should do OK living off that Senators salary of his. Another rich liberal after my cash.

Xebsball
04-06-2003, 07:53 PM
I think freedom of press needs to be respected, if you want Geraldo to be put in prison or killed then you what you really want is a totalitary governament, kinda like Saddams, or Hitlers.
The work of the press is to watch the sources of power and their moves and then inform people bout it.
If Geraldo or his crew had access to that info its cleary the military's fault to let it slip out and reach him.

Another thing is, the press that accepts censorship is like a dog bitting his own balls off. I have no respect for the press that asks their governament for permission before being allowed to publish this or that thing. Ive no respect for ones publishing only what is "governament aproved", thats like ASKING to be fuked in the ass by propaganda.
That is crap, that makes them servants of the governament, wich is not what they are supposed to be in the first place given the context of freedom and blah blah blah.
Any half-assed journalist should know this, even i who am not from the journalism bussiness know this.

Christopher M
04-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

I speak out for America, not for politics...

...this man, who left three limbs on the battlefield in Vietnam for this country, deserves better than what the Republican Party gave him

I don't need any lessons in patriotism or caring about America from.. the right wing, whose motivations can be questioned...

...Democrats are fighting for them and for what's right.

...this administration is proposing substantial cuts...this administration announced it would suspend enrollment

...they prefer a massive tax cut that harms economic growth...

In other words: "There is tragedy in the world, therefore support my personal partisan political interests"

That's not just disappointing rhetoric, it's offensive.

Chang Style Novice
04-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Rogue -

Come on, man. You know that actually supporting the troops isn't free. I mean support that goes deeper than an "American flag/Kick Saddam's Ass!" bumper sticker. Do you seriously suggest defunding benefits for military and reservists? And if not, where else would the money come from except taxes?

Xeb -

My beef with Geraldo isn't his politics, or his position with the most partisan, useless-as-news news network going. It's that as an embedded journalist, he has a responsibility to the troops he serves with to not put them in danger of enemy fire with his reporting. He failed in that responsibility. Once again, if he is ACTUALLY INTERESTED in supporting our troops, and not just sloganeering about doing so, he won't give away his unit's position to the enemy. What I'm suggesting isn't censorship, it's punishing an act of treason.

Chang Style Novice
04-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Sorry, Chris, I didn't see your reply before.

If you aren't happy with Max Cleland's war record, are you happy with Dennis Hastert's? Because Dennis Hastert sat out vietnam, and then won Cleland's seat by casting aspersions on the wounded veteran's patriotism.

Tell me some more about partisan sloganeering, won't you?

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 08:29 PM
CSN.

Do you really think that the iraqi's need to rely on CNN or similar for their intelligence?

I am pretty sure that they got their own intelligence gathering going on.
Mechanized battalions aren't exactly easy to hide under a rock. Those things create quiet a dust cloud when on the move.

OTOH, I agree that as little information as possible that could hurt an initiative should be published. (Troop strength, plans, disposition, morale, etc.)

Just some thoughts.

joedoe
04-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Actually, the news broadcasts from CNN etc. can be a good way for them to verify their intel.

Either way it was wrong of him to do that.

Chang Style Novice
04-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Just a clarification - Geraldo works for Fox News, not CNN. A real news channel wouldn't have his Al-Capone excavating ass.

Christopher M
04-06-2003, 08:34 PM
If you aren't happy with Max Cleland's war record, are you happy with Dennis Hastert's?

I didn't remark one way or the other concerning Mr. Cleland's war record.

Laughing Cow
04-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Just a clarification - Geraldo works for Fox News, not CNN. A real news channel wouldn't have his Al-Capone excavating ass.

Fox, CNN, ABC whatever.

If it wouldn't have been for the Gulf War CNN would still be an upstart channel.
;)

Peace.

Chang Style Novice
04-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Chris -

you quoted this

"...this man, who left three limbs on the battlefield in Vietnam for this country, deserves better than what the Republican Party gave him"

A simple statement of fact about Cleland's war record, and claimed that it was offensive. I agree, but I think the facts are offensive, not the citation of them.

Christopher M
04-06-2003, 08:49 PM
What I claimed was offensive was that it was being used as an opportunity to shout "Vote Democrat!" at everyone, as was the war.

Never mind this one man, Mr. Kerry was leveraging people's moral outrage over September 11th and the current war (that's thousands of lives) in an attempt to draw support for his stances on issues like tax cuts. That is offensive. If someone wants to mourn a tragedy, they should. If someone wants to talk about tax cuts, they should. If someone wants to use the unrelated horrendous deaths of thousands of innocents to leverage their partisan politics - that's offensive.

Chang Style Novice
04-06-2003, 08:52 PM
So...republicans aren't using the war for political advantage?

I got some seaside property in Arizona for you, if you believe that one.

Christopher M
04-06-2003, 08:53 PM
So...republicans aren't using the war for political advantage?

Did I say that?

Chang Style Novice
04-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Oops, you edited.

Okay - cutting benefits for troops and veterans while sending the country to war is callous and anti-troops. So, I believe that is relevant. Cutting taxes during wartime (when the gov't needs money to wage war) is irresponsible and will harm both our economy and our ability to wage war. So that's relevant, too.

It's true you didn't mention the republican party at all, but you did single out the democrats for criticism on this issue, making the GOP look innocent by mere omission.

Now I gotta log off. But I thought that was a great speech and wanted to share it.

Goodnight, all.

Christopher M
04-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Okay - cutting benefits for troops and veterans while sending the country to war is callous and anti-troops. So, I believe that is relevant. Cutting taxes during wartime (when the gov't needs money to wage war) is irresponsible and will harm both our economy and our ability to wage war. So that's relevant, too.

From the traditional Democrat point of view, perhaps. Isn't that necessary for the comments to be partisan, as I implied?

Moreover, he was clear that these remarks did not pertain specifically to the war. He explicitly mentioned cuts done before the war, ("After Sept. 11, Americans wanted to contribute and to serve. This administration told them to go shopping. They have cut AmeriCorps when we should be expanding it") and he explicitly explained that his reasoning was that tax cuts did long-term damage to economic growth and rewarded the wealthy ("tax cut that harms economic growth and gives the greatest benefit to those with the least need.") - views both only of democrats and unrelated to the war.

Moreover again, he was clear to remark not just about issues, but explicitly in support of democrats over republicans, noting on several occasions, without any issues implied, that it was democrats who supported, represented, and would fight for america, and republicans who cannot be trusted, as I quoted in my original post.

So if your argument was that he was staying on topic, I would agree if it were true; but it seems not to be.

It's true you didn't mention the republican party at all, but you did single out the democrats for criticism on this issue, making the GOP look innocent by mere omission.

All I did was comment on the topic of the thread, without including outside sources in support nor attack against either party. I'm not sure what else you expected. :confused:

Good night.

guohuen
04-07-2003, 08:15 AM
John Kerry is the Man, not some sorry arsed phony conservative (read fekking thief and lier.) As Americans we have the right and obligation to question his views, but those that would question his honor are not worthy to carry his prosthetic leg.

rogue
04-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Dude, it's John Cary of Neb(?) that has the bum leg.

monkey mind
04-07-2003, 01:51 PM
That's Bob Kerry of Nebraska w/ the leg thing.

rogue
04-07-2003, 05:36 PM
That's right John Cary is the blind combatives instructor.

FatherDog
04-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Who's on first?

shaolin kungfu
04-07-2003, 08:19 PM
no, who's on second.

Chang Style Novice
04-08-2003, 07:24 AM
And just to dispel the notion that I never say anything nice about republicans, while it's true I consider Donald Rumsfeld to have no respect for the constitution, the international community, the principle of due process, severelly underqualified to be Secretary of Defense, and generally little better than a Mussolini wanna-be, I actually think his poetry is pretty good. (http://slate.msn.com/id/2081042)

shaolin kungfu
04-08-2003, 08:01 AM
The first one's my favorite.

Mr Punch
04-09-2003, 01:56 AM
A Confession

Once in a while,
I'm standing here, doing something.
And I think,
"What in the world am I doing here?"
It's a big surprise.

—D. Rumsfeld, aged 7 3/4,
May 16, 2001, interview with the New York Times

Mr Punch
04-09-2003, 01:58 AM
:eek:

Something spooky with the censor:

D. for Donald has come up on my screen as the Japanese character for kindness...

Back off you CIA freaks! I'll take you all!
:D

guohuen
04-09-2003, 10:05 AM
OOPs! My bad. I always get those two brothers mixed up. Of course I meant Bob Kerry. I ussually agree with Bob Kerry and dissagree with his brother John although I still respect him. (oh my dear God I just wrote that I respect a Massachusetts politician. Now I'm going to have to punish my fingers!)

Budokan
04-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Gee, imagine that. Politicians who are also hypocrites. Who'd a thunk it?

Shoot, even Shrub went into the National Guard, after his daddy bumped him over 100,000 other guys. Hastert is nothing more than a cowardly weasel. Like "Pre-emptive" Wolfowitz. Like "Let's keep 'em rolling" Rummy. Like "Is my heart still ticking?" Cheyney.

I have always found it particularly foul that someone who hasn't served in the military...in fact went out of his WAY to serve in the military...are often the biggest hawks out there. Incredible. It is to laugh, but it's really to cry. (To paraphase Roger Waters)

But that's the dangerously simplistic rationale of the GOP and they're not going to change in the forseeable future. Lucky world.

(Logic has never been their strong point, anyway.)

Oh, and What's on second. Not Who.

GLW
04-09-2003, 03:43 PM
An interesting note on that:

Of all of the folks that served in Congress, according to a source I heard today, NONE of their children ever served in any form of combat in Viet Nam.

NOW...of all of those in Congress, only ONE soldier serving is the child of a person in Congress.

Nice to see how much ALL of them believe in the value of their wars.

Let's send YOUR child but not mine seems to be the approach.

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 04:00 PM
That's EXACTLY what I mean when I say "chickenhawks."

Marky
04-09-2003, 04:14 PM
A certain man returned from Vietnam and burned his medals at an anti-war protest. When he later ran for Congress and he couldn't get votes because of that incident, he claimed that they were someone else's medals, and he wouldn't dream of diminishing the honor of serving his country.

I don't worry about disagreeing with two-faced people like that... I figure, eventually they'll turn coat and agree with me (at least for a while)!