PDA

View Full Version : Point striking

DrunkenMunky
04-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Hey I was just wondering if there were any sites that showed all the vital points in the body and how they work. Thanks for the help.

ShaolinTiger00
04-07-2003, 03:09 PM
*kicks you in the crotch*

did that hurt?

*pokes you in the eyes*

How 'bout that?

*punches you in the larnyx*

Feel good?

Detect a trend? If it's soft tissue.. it hurts.

Oso
04-07-2003, 06:27 PM
http://www.qi-journal.com/tcmarticles/acumodel/AcuModel.asp

;)

Former castleva
04-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Besides mere acupoints,if you are willing to take time you will find out that www is full of that stuff.

TjD
04-07-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Former castleva
Besides mere acupoints,if you are willing to take time you will find out that www is full of that stuff.

and then when you try and use them you'll find your time would have been better spent training the basics. hitting a pressure point at the correct direction/depth/angle/time of day/season takes a whole lot more than studying some charts.

i'm with shaolintiger00 on this one. the simplest points are the best :D

that is... if your using these to supplement your martial arts training. if theyre for something else then just ignore my little rant.

Oso
04-07-2003, 06:50 PM
I posted a chart intended for healing;)

Oso
04-07-2003, 06:58 PM
and, you know, I think most systems/arts start with the basic strike points and work up, usually much later, into the intricacies of meridian striking.

So, I agree it is worthwhile to focus on the basic strike points unless you have already trained them for years and years and are capable of moving on to more specific methods of attack.

But, detailed meridian striking is not pointless, just not basic or simple.

joedoe
04-07-2003, 07:15 PM
If you don't have the skill or the control to be able to use the points then what is the point in trying to learn it? Like others have said, make sure your basics are good enough and the rest of it will come by itself.

Oso
04-07-2003, 07:18 PM
:D I just saw a pun in my last post.

joedoe
04-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Oso
:D I just saw a pun in my last post.

I noticed it but chose not to comment :D

But, detailed meridian striking is not pointless, just not basic or simple.

Oso
04-07-2003, 07:29 PM
best thing to do when you notice, or not, a pun.

ever read Spider Robinson?

joedoe
04-07-2003, 07:31 PM
Can't say that I have. What's it about?

Oso
04-07-2003, 07:35 PM
He's a sci-fi writer although few of his stories have anything to do with ray guns and rocket ships...although a ****roach from another galaxy threatens to blow up Earth in one story.

His most acclaimed series is the Callahan's Cross Time Saloon series (as well as the spin off couplet of books about Callahan's wife's bordello) although Mindkiller is a great stand alone as well as Time Pressure.

In the Callahan's series puns are rampant and abused...mostly with prodigious amounts of alchohol and laughter.

Easy afternoon reads...recommended with your favorite beverage handy.

joedoe
04-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Sounds like Roger Zelazny's style of writing as well. Very enjoyable stuff.

I once shared a house with a friend who was a rampant pun-maker. Made for some funny conversations :D

Oso
04-07-2003, 07:45 PM
I've read some Zelazny but didn't care for him myself. Just my particular taste though, Zelazny is well recognized.

I can see where you would draw that comparison but if you give Spider a shot you would probably find him to be different from anyone else out there. The first of the Callahan series is "Callahan's Crosstime Saloon" with "Time Travellers Strictly Cash" second. The first of the bordello couplet is "Lady Slings the Booze" but it makes references to things from a couple of the Callahan's series. "Mindkiller' is totally stand alone as is "Time Pressure"

just a suggestion...

joedoe
04-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Cool. I might check him out.

MightyB
04-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Do you have to factor in the different time zones for those charts? I mean, midnight here ain't midnight in China...

Really, does time of day really factor in or is it just martial myth?

Oso
04-08-2003, 12:42 PM
That's a good question.

I don't have a clue about an answer though. Several thoughts came to mind but not enough to make sense as an answer.

Is there a 'cosmic' time clock that the conventional times are compared to for the 'real' time that it is effective to strike those points?

I also think that the points can be strike at any time and create a blockage that may not be noticed, in the short term, until the cycle comes around the body to that point. But, long term, any blockage will start to cause issues in it's associated organ systems.

DISCLAIMER
The above reply only illustrates my poor understanding of some of the point striking theories. I make no claims to being able to do it and don't include this in my training.

:D ;)

Feng Huang
04-08-2003, 12:42 PM
http://pressurepointfighting.com/public_html/pointdiags/dim_mak_stomach.htm

Oso
04-08-2003, 12:44 PM
Wasn't Romel a German Tank Commander in Africa during WWII?

Cool, never read about his kung fu training.

Former castleva
04-08-2003, 01:34 PM
"Really, does time of day really factor in or is it just martial myth?"
Both might do,will have it´s naysayers.
There really,really is a big thread or two on this subject that I have posted if they are still stored.
Theoretically,the power of the strike if strong should compensate.

To get back at the roots,since the original question was on "vital points" (too tired to start breaking verbal bits and bolts down) but if what I´d call "real world" physiology supports the attack,then there will be no doubt it will work and mostly regardless of time being.

joedoe
04-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by MightyB
Do you have to factor in the different time zones for those charts? I mean, midnight here ain't midnight in China...

Really, does time of day really factor in or is it just martial myth?

I have also heard that for some systems you also have to factor in which hemisphere you are in :eek:

I think the issue of time etc depends on the system. My sigung used to teach a system that was not time dependent.

The time thing is local as I understand it - it is based on the cycle of your body's energy through the day, and how to disrupt it. Raises an interesting question - what if you try it on someone who is still jet lagged? :)

Oso
04-08-2003, 07:16 PM
or someone who just transporter beamed in from Venus.:)

Lowlynobody
04-09-2003, 05:36 AM
The time thing is local as I understand it - it is based on the cycle of your body's energy through the day, and how to disrupt it.

That is my understanding from Sifu. Though I'm not into it enough yet to bother with times etc. I like to stick to - ok I hit you here you hurt alot and/or fall down..... :p

Lowlynobody.

Oso
04-09-2003, 05:49 AM
so, chi movement through the meridians is somehow controlled by the sun?????? or, rather light/dark intervals????

what's that chemical that you can take if you work 3rd shift so you can sleep better during the day??

and how does that potentially tie in the the legends of the monks retreating to caves for years and years?? were they 'beating the system' so to speak??

Former castleva
04-09-2003, 06:21 AM
Humans actually have biological clocks and circadian rhytm. :)
The difference is that these are not made up.
A flick at a nerve that exists in there will hurt regardless.

Lowlynobody
04-09-2003, 06:54 AM
and how does that potentially tie in the the legends of the monks retreating to caves for years and years?? were they 'beating the system' so to speak??

I think it potentially doesn't. Indeed, perhaps they were just trying to get away fom people asking stupid questions? Maybe so...

:D

Former castleva
04-09-2003, 07:09 AM
lol

Oso
04-09-2003, 07:16 AM
LOL, probably getting away from all the acolytes.

ok...

yes, humans have biorythms and circadian rythms (what's the difference) but what regulates those rythms?

and nerve strikes and 'point' strikes are two different things, are they not??

joedoe
04-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Oso
LOL, probably getting away from all the acolytes.

ok...

yes, humans have biorythms and circadian rythms (what's the difference) but what regulates those rythms?

and nerve strikes and 'point' strikes are two different things, are they not??

I don't know what regulates the body rhythm, but I would suggest that it could be the pattern of sleeping and waking, or maybe the moon? I don't know enough about it to say. Maybe someone like Repulsive monkey could help us out as this really is getting into the realm of TCM.

Oso
04-09-2003, 06:11 PM
It's the 10,000 things.;)

ok, so waking and sleeping...traditionally controlled by the rotation of the earth...causing the 'rising' and 'setting' of the sun.
giving us light to hunt and gather by and since we we're tired from all the hunting and gathering we slept.

what if we had evolved as nocturnal creatures?

do androids dream of electric sheep?

Former castleva
04-10-2003, 06:33 AM
"yes, humans have biorythms and circadian rythms (what's the difference) but what regulates those rythms?"
Such is very closely associated with brain,namely the organ behind about any action.We need to know more about these things though,we are just about to get a good grasp about them.

May someone jump in with metacrackpot bogus hocus now. ;)

GeneChing
02-03-2020, 03:06 PM
Developing Pinpoint Accurate Strikes
The Copper Man Acupressure Dummy of Choy Lee Fut
By Emilio Alpanseque

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/9183_202001_Winter.jpg

WINTER 2020 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1518)

THREADS
Point Striking (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?21278-Point-striking)
Choy Lay Fut (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?1177-Choy-Li-Fut)