PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on SLT stance

straight blast
04-08-2003, 01:58 AM
Every time I do SLT (and joyfully this is many times a day :) ) if I stay in the stance for more than about 10 minutes my feet go numb and I then have to train with pins and needles for the next couple of minutes...frustrating!

Is this a common thing?

Does it go away?

In my lineage we don't spend 15 minutes going through the SLT once like some do-I can usually get it in about 3 times in 10 minutes but I like going back over it again and again to really get the feel of it and my numb feet are getting me down.

Help!

sel
04-08-2003, 02:07 AM
lol ! that used to happen to me. i also got burning hot soles. it goes away after a while (couple of months in my case)...don't know what it's from.
i once asked my sifu about it and he said it had happened to him too (in the beginning) but it went away after a while.
after 10 years i can easily stay in stance for long periods without any foot discomfort at all. good luck!!

straight blast
04-08-2003, 02:21 AM
Woohoo!

stuartm
04-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Hi Straight Blast,

Dont know how long youve been training but this will improve with time. When you first learn Yee Ji Kin Yeung Ma, your Sifu will normally tell you to really push in the toes and knees and to lower the stance (Lok Ma). This is so that the theory of good structure through triangulation is patently obvious. Dont worry about the initial discomfort - all my new students are exactly the same and try to rise up in the stance when im not looking !

The key is to learn to root by sinking the weight into the ground and not retaining it in your hips and knees etc. Your spine should be aligned with the leg and the weight should be centred, and gravitate into the floor through the perineum. n tai chi, they ask you to imagine a pole passing through the top of your head and down through your perineal musce in your anus. The weight should travel down this line and into the floor. This is why Tai Chi, Bagua and Hsing-I masters have incredible structure and balance.

If you continue to find it difficult, you could maybe ask a good Tai Chi instructor, or Chi Gung would be just as good. i hae my old tai Chi instructor comingto my class shortly to do a semiar on rooting, chi gung etc.

Be assured though it will improve. I have students who have only been coming a year and are now really comfortable in thestance. You will also find that with time. your stance wil open out to a more wider comfortable position, without any loss in structure.

Good luck in your training !

Stuart

Stevo
04-08-2003, 04:12 AM
...imagine a pole passing through the top of your head and down through your perineal musce in your anus.

Imagining the pain of that pole will take away the pain in the feet and knees, too! :D

stuartm
04-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Nice one Steveo - doesnt hurt too much though ! LOL

Stu