PDA

View Full Version : Asian tradition that all should adopt.

MightyB
04-08-2003, 08:21 PM
I'm not afraid to admit that SARS scares the crap out of me. I've visited both the CDC and WHO websites to read up on it. It seems to be spread through droplets and direct contact with infected people and objects. The virus survives for three hours, so, if somebody who's infected sneezes on a doorknob, it's lethal for three hours. So wash your hands often and never put your hands near your mouth without washing them.

So what "tradition" am I talking about adopting? It's the Asian method of bowing for introduction. The handshake is now lethal. A handshake can kill you. You may wash your hands religiously, but what about that other schmuck. Seriously, if you ever had to use a public restroom, handshaking would scare you anyway. Most people don't wash. It's friggin' gross, they're pigs and they're proud of it. Anyway, let's drop the unnecessary body contact and just bow like the Asians used to.

I must sound like a germaphobe, but dying from suffocation because you cough too much really sucks. That's how SARS victims die.

shaolin kungfu
04-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Laughing Cow
04-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Latest research suspects that it might be carried via ****roaches as well as be air-born.

And that like with AIDS that there might be carriers that do not develop the sickness themselves.

:( :(

BTW, so far Japan has NO confirmed cases.

No problems with bowing, already shook too many limp wet-rag hands.

shaolin kungfu
04-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Something else asians do more than the rest of us is wear those surgical masks when they are sick. That ssounds like it could be helpful too.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-08-2003, 08:43 PM
i survived cancer so i think it would be really funny if i were to only die to some new super virus a couple months aftewards.

SifuAbel
04-09-2003, 12:11 AM
Getting SARS doesn't mean automatic death. It kills at a high ratio, but its still 2700 infected to 60 or so deaths.

Mr Punch
04-09-2003, 01:40 AM
Currently a 4 % death rate. Marginally more dangerous than crossing the road.

Shaolin Master
04-09-2003, 01:56 AM
If you are meant to die you will so why worry so much, all the worrying is killing you :)

Mr Punch
04-09-2003, 02:00 AM
Yep: human race... everyone loses!

100% death rate!!!

Then back to the essence... doesn't matter!!!:D

Ryu
04-09-2003, 06:39 AM
I have a friend who went back to Taiwan to take care of her father. She doesn't go out much because of the SARS epidemic. She was telling me by email that she feels confined to her house. :(

Hopefully she'll be okay and get back here soon. This is getting to be a serious thing.

****ing diseases.....

Ryu

Former castleva
04-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Koreans,Japanese and Chinese do all shake hands in general basis.
Westernization :)

1 Finnish has died of SARS so far.

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Just remember what ol' Hank Williams said...

You'll never get out of this world alive!

StarBoy
04-09-2003, 07:14 AM
Currently a 4 % death rate. Marginally more dangerous than crossing the road.

*LMAO* :D

shaolinboxer
04-09-2003, 07:46 AM
Once you start running from danger, you may never stop.

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 08:28 AM
Running is dangerous.

fa_jing
04-09-2003, 09:14 AM
Agree about the handshake, and also take those shoes off before you enter the home.

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Taking off shoes will only spread more germs.

fa_jing
04-09-2003, 09:23 AM
KC: what if you just stepped in a steaming pile of SARS?

One custom we should not adopt: "Village" style dental work.

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 09:26 AM
I had no idea SARS formed into piles. This is getting worse.

BTW, what's the scoop on that flesh eating disease? Should I be worried?

guohuen
04-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Interesting about the roaches. If true it will be the only disease they have been known to carry surprisingly enough.

Kristoffer
04-09-2003, 10:01 AM
sound's like BS where did you read this?

Former castleva
04-09-2003, 11:18 AM
It was in the news.
Should have been in Swedish news too IŽd think.

Mojo
04-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Darn, I thought this thread was going to be about foot binding.:(

Former castleva
04-09-2003, 11:48 AM
No more foot binding.
No more pain and deformed bones.

omarthefish
04-09-2003, 12:23 PM
I got news for you about the "srugical masks", they aren't just worn by the sick people. In wintertime in Xi'an, all sorts of folks wear them. Mostly because the air quality sucks so bad wiht all the dust blowing in of the northwestern plains and all the coal being burned for warmeth and for hot water. Furthermore, those little "surgical masks" keep your nose warm and keep your lips from getting chapped by the cold dry air. They sell them on the street often with cute little mickey mouse designs or teddy bears printed on the front. I kept laughing at them all winter long my first year there. By the second year, I was wearing one myself, especially if I need to go somewhere on my bycycle in winter, otherwise the dust and traffic fumes leave me with a runny nose by the time I get to work every single time.

Kristoffer
04-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Former castleva - oh I just read something about it. sorry :)

Black Jack
04-09-2003, 01:26 PM
I guess bowing would make sense if you never sparred, grappled, or touched each other in class in any kind of way whatsoever and just stayed in your own little world doing forms.

I will skip the bowing.

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 01:28 PM
What was that about? Bowing doesn't preclude any of those things.

Black Jack
04-09-2003, 01:42 PM
It's about not shaking hands so to not get a disease right?

Don't people in training use those same hands to strike and grapple with each other in class?

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Oh, see I wasn't relating it to training. I thought he was saying just bowing instead of hand shaking in general.

Black Jack
04-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Gottcha,

I have nothing on bowing, well I do but thats a different thread, but it won't make a difference if you are making contact in training anyway.

Think about how nasty you are when training is over, its the same feeling one gets at the gym after lifting weights but worse, you have been sweated on, had hands grabbing, twisting and striking you, not to mention if you train in a enviroment that goes barefeet.

Just saying that shaking hands is the least of the problems.

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 02:12 PM
It's all silly anyway. You can't isolate yourself from all danger, and like a few people get a disease, they asign it a name, and everyone's suddenly ordering plastic bubbles.

I mean, christ, what about lockjaw? What about scurvy? Doesn't anyone worry that we're just a few weeks supply of vitamin C away from death at any moment?

It's getting where only the shut ins will be safe, if they can ever come up with a sure fire method for dealing with bed sores.

Don't just sit there all calm, it's panic time. Is the milk in the frig safe? Better buy new milk, just in case. I hope that's not chicken you're eating.

A strict diet of spam and pepsi is the only way to be sure you're okay.

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 02:23 PM
is there no Halal alternative? :eek::(

dawood

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Maybe there's like turkey spam. Although why anyone would be looking for a spam substitute is beyond me. I mean, it's a food substitute to start with. It's like "Finally, a soy dog that TASTES like a turkey dog".

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm afraid you're just gonna have to accept spam in your life.

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 02:35 PM
actually i think there prob is an alternative :D
and it probably contains turkey too :D

dawood

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 02:36 PM
So, would that make it tram?

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 02:48 PM
dont care what itd be called as long as i can eat it... oh - may contain traces of nuts as well :D

we must be bored today?

dawood

joedoe
04-09-2003, 04:49 PM
I can't believe that I am going to be the first to say it!

Royce would choke SARS out :D

Water Dragon
04-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Bowing sure helped the Chinese avoid SARS, didn't it?

joedoe
04-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Bowing sure helped the Chinese avoid SARS, didn't it?

Modern Chinese don't bow anymore - they have taken on the western habit of using the handshake.

When all is said and done, I don't think it would make much difference. If you get coughed on you get coughed on.

Serpent
04-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Yeah. People always spit in my face anyway.

Even if I bow.

joedoe
04-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Ewwwwww.

Hang on. You said spit on your face not sh!t on your face didn't you? And you also said bow not blow.

Sorry, my bad :D

MightyB
04-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Hey, dropping the handshake ain't so bad.

I used to do all these corporate videos and broadcasts, so I'd meet the big whiggs of all these companies and they always want to shake your hand. I used to hate doing it because I swear, the higher up the executive, the less likely they'd wash their hands after using the lavoratory. I mean, I could be standing at the urinal and hear one of these guys step out from a stahl, and not once would I hear the sink run. All I'd hear is the sound of the door shutting.

(A little inside note. If you're participating in a long live broadcast, you wait to use the facilities until about 10 minutes before air time. Even the talent waits. Most CEOs and such are speakers at these things, so naturally you'd be in the rest room at the same time).

Serpent
04-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Dude, you have serious issues about cleanliness.

Go outside and eat some worms. You'll feel a lot better.

shaolin kungfu
04-09-2003, 10:27 PM
better yet, eat your own poo. It won't kill you, and you'll get over your fear of germs.

Serpent
04-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Or, if you're ever in Germany, eat someone else's poo.