PDA

View Full Version : favorite kung fu movies

TjD
04-09-2003, 12:24 AM
havent had one of these in awhile so i figure what the heck :D

personally (my top two):

#1 - Iron Monkey - i love this movie with a passion, i dont know why. the kung fu scenes are excellent. and the name ownz. fighting on burning poles ownz.

#2 - Drunken Master (the original) - humorous, good kung fu and the part where jackie chan does some insane forms always makes me want to go train, even though my wing chun forms look nothing remotely close to that.

shaolin kungfu
04-09-2003, 12:52 AM
Chinese super ninja's. Or five deadly venoms. They have the fakest hair i've ever seen, the worst actors, crappy dialoque, and choppy fight scenes. They are the best movies ever.

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 01:01 AM
shaolin kungfu: you havent seen "shaolin drunkard" then if u think that :D

i like too many to list - drunken master 2 is just amazing - one of the best movies i have ever seen :)

dawood

shaolin kungfu
04-09-2003, 01:04 AM
Hey! I just passed post 400! :D

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 01:09 AM
congrats :D

unfortunately for me i have a university class now and havent done any study for it :(

laterz,
dawood

Sho
04-09-2003, 01:15 AM
Shaolin Temple III (Nan Bei Shaolin). Unbeatable. :D

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 01:36 AM
is that the one when it was jet li and the shaolin kids against the wudang gals? :confused: if so then its cool :D

dawood

Ether
04-09-2003, 02:57 AM
hmmmm,

The young master (Bench fights!)
RoadHouse (comedy)
Snake in Eagles Shadow (The footprint training scene)

and far to many others to mention.

Sho
04-09-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
is that the one when it was jet li and the shaolin kids against the wudang gals? :confused: if so then its cool :DNaah, that's Shaolin Temple II. :D

ST3 is the one where Jet's gang plans to kill the ruthless emperor.

norther practitioner
04-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Fong Sai Yuk
1 and 2

Invincible Armor

36th chamber

any of the old Jet or Jackies are OK
any of the later Venoms

Shaolin V. Lama

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 07:25 AM
I have about 50 or 60 favorites. Because I'm an idiot with no life.

This seems like as good a place as any to ask a quiestion that's been on my mind for a while now, though.

In Wheels on Meals, there are three big final fight scenes. The most famous (and it is in my estimation the most exciting kungfu fight ever filmed) is between Jackie Chan and Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez. The other two are pretty cool, too, though, and I have no idea who the foes are, what kind of notoriety they may have, and what else I might be able to see them in.

Yuen Biao wins his fight by fleeing acrobatically from the second henchman, eventually tiring him out, then smashing a pitcher upside his head. Who's the guy with the headache, and is he a real life kungfu badass or just some dude?

Sammo Hung chases the evil count into an antique armory, and finds himself outfenced until he can glom onto a pair of duelling sabers, which he wields like double jian. This strategy stalemates the evil fencing count until jackie and Biao show up. Who is the evil count, and is he a real-life fencing badass, or just some dude?

It'd be nice to think that with Benny the Jet playing one villain, they got equally talented scrappers to play the others.

Guile
04-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Shaolin Soccer is a great movie!

Guile
04-09-2003, 07:31 AM
36 chambers is good too (same movie as Shaolin master killer I think)

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 07:39 AM
36 chambers is good too (same movie as Shaolin master killer I think)

Yes, it is.

Sho
04-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Guile
36 chambers is good tooI gotta get that movie.

Guile, Shaolin Soccer isn't a kung fu movie, but yea it rocks. :D

SaMantis
04-09-2003, 07:44 AM
The Buddhist Fist, if for nothing else the chopstick-fighting-poison-dart scene with the hunchback assassin.

I've seen Shaolin Temple I, where can I get II & III?

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 07:53 AM
Did anybody hear something?

;) to ghthomason

Return... is okay, but not a patch on the original. I really like the fact that the motivating force getting Gordon Liu to Shaolin is a labor dispute, though!

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Ha, yeah, that's some irony. He wants to learn kungfu to defend his co-workers at the fabric plant, and ends up working for shaolin temple for a year for free - only he's getting what he came for and doesn't even know it!

Um, my favorites, yeah...

I have a special fondness for the late seventies/early eighties Golden Harvest stuff teaming some combination of Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung, and Ya Kan Leung - Knockabout, Prodigal Son, Magnificent Butcher, The Victim (maybe my favorite ever!), and so on.

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 08:11 AM
Too many to name.

Am I the only guy that kinda digs Dragon Lee? Yeah, I know he's a Bruce Lee knockoff. And korean, if I'm not mistaken. But two of the first saturday afternoon 'kunf fu theater' entries I ever saw were his movies. And I've wanted to get a copy of them ever since.

Stuart B.

Guile
04-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Im surprised no one said ninja scroll.
whenever i mention forigen flicks in a conversation some one pops that ups. (yes it is not a KF flick, just ranting)

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Ooh. Maybe I am, yeah. I suppose there's not an awful lot of point ordering something like that on DVD. I have 'Shaolin vs. Ninja' on DVD (another old favorite). And the quality's terrible, there's no extra stuff, etc.

norther practitioner
04-09-2003, 08:21 AM
CSN thats a good era/studio....

Shaolin Temple movies

Shaolin Temple

Shaolin Temple 2: Kids from Shaolin

Shaolin Temple 3: North and South Shaolin

Fong Sai Yuk I and II are also known as Legend I and I

I also enjoyed The New Legend of Shaolin.

Jet did some good stuff in the 80s and 90s.

Invincible Armor is good especially concidering it came out in '77.

Born Invincible a Carter Wong flick, good stuff.

I own like 240 Kung fu movies now... It is hard to remember the names of a lot of them.
Ebay can be a great place to get the movies in bundles...

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 08:29 AM
I suppose there's not an awful lot of point ordering something like that on DVD. I have 'Shaolin vs. Ninja' on DVD (another old favorite). And the quality's terrible, there's no extra stuff, etc.

Well, nobody's going to accidentally tape over a DVD, at least. Otherwise, I agree. Except that apparently the new issues of the Shaw Bros. flicks are going to get the royal treatment according to the articles I've read, like the one in this month's issue of Kungfu Qigong Magazine (http://www.kungfumagazine.com).

I'd love to see some of these things in the widescreen, full length versions they were meant to be. My copies of Iron Flag and Chinatown Kid are apparently missing almost a half hour each! And Chinatown Kid is missing about half the picture frame for sure.

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Hmm... I'll have to keep an eye out for these. Though, I have to say, Shaolin vs. Ninja was still fun from an MST3K perspective. But not so much from a kung fu angle anymore. Disappointing, that.

norther practitioner
04-09-2003, 08:39 AM
AP... I've gotten that one, just put it in and it plays, not even any chapter selection.

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 09:05 AM
And it's got a couple of blank patches in it too, right? (Or is that just mine?)

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 09:53 AM
CSN: the guy fighting yuen biao is Keith Vitali and at the time was/is a karate badass :)

Sho: the movies are all the same to me man :D

dawood

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Yeah, Keith Vitale was a big competitor in the 70s and 80s, right? Taekwondo expert. And star of such screen gems as 'Revenge of the Ninja' and 'No Retreat, No Surrender 3.'

Yes, I've seen both of them. Repeatedly.

I feel shame. [sob]

Stuart B.

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 10:12 AM
he fights like a shotokan guy :D
ive seen the NRNS series as well... 2 was weird!

dawood

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Thanks, Dawood!

Anybody got a lead on the fencer?

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 10:46 AM
he fights like a shotokan guy :D
ive seen the NRNS series as well... 2 was weird!

dawood

You're not wrong about that, mate. NRNS2 was weird. But it was the first time I saw Loren Avedon, who's entertaining in an extremely cheesy way. Cynthia Rothrock is okay. The korean badarse who's name escapes me (Hwang Jang Lee?). And Matthias Hues. That movie's got a lot going for it... sorta.

:)

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 11:09 AM
cant remember who the bad guy was? was it bolo yeung from enter the dragon and bloodsport?

i saw it when i was like 12 or so so cant remember much - just this huge russian guy against a little guy... loren avedon - yeah he was also in a real freaky Don the dragon Wilson movie when he played a computer created bad guy who spoke through his mind with the voice of Worf form Star Trek :eek:

dawood

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 11:11 AM
dezhen - I, The Hungry Wolf, have challenged you on etapout! Will you accept?!!?

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 11:16 AM
crikey i forgot all about that... let me find it :D
guess this is what i get for trying to help u on movie trivia huh? :( lol

dawood

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 11:19 AM
Hey, I just want a match, and I know how to get hold of you. The real question is WHY do I want a match?:p

Cause I don't really know. Funny thing - you're ranked higher than I am, even though I have a 1-0 record and you're 0-0. I guess you must've signed up first, or something, and my victory against an equally untested fighter doesn't mean much.

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 11:21 AM
cant remember who the bad guy was? was it bolo yeung from enter the dragon and bloodsport?

i saw it when i was like 12 or so so cant remember much - just this huge russian guy against a little guy... loren avedon - yeah he was also in a real freaky Don the dragon Wilson movie when he played a computer created bad guy who spoke through his mind with the voice of Worf form Star Trek :eek:

dawood

The bad guys were Matthias Hues (the russian) and Hwang Jang Lee (the korean with the wicked jumping kicks).

Grid Runners. One of the few Don Wilson films I've been fortunate enough to miss (most of).

Loren Avedon also appears briefly in one of Olivier Gruner's more recent films (The Circuit). Oddly enough, he doesn't really do anything. Why get Loren Avedon (and Bryan Genesse, for that matter) and then not have them do any martial arts?

I digress.

Stuart B.

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 11:22 AM
coz im a 150lbs 5'10" kickboxer weakling? :D seems as good a reason as any lol

dawood

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Hey, I'm a 5'6" 135 pounder and whipped a 6'2" 235 lummox in my one bout so far. Apparently size only plays a limited role in their fight logarithm.

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 11:25 AM
grid runners - thats it! :D

jeez... i seen so many movies and cant remember the name... what about the don wilson one when hes trained by Mako in some kind of ninjitsu or something and takes on 2 street gangs and james lew as the evil ninja... also has dax from deep space 9 in it (terry farrell) :eek:

we must look real sad right about now. :(

dawood

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 11:30 AM
oh boy... I've seen that one. But I can't remember what it's called. The only reason I remember it at all, really, is that Terry Farrell was in it. (The woman from DS9) I don't even like Star Trek, but for some reason, I remember her anyway.

Stuart B.

p.s. Yeah, we probably look sad. But whatever. It's like a support group for b-movie addicts. :)

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 11:35 AM
An imdb search for titles featuring both Don the Dragon Wilson and Mako yields...

Red Sun Rising!

Um, I've seen it, too. Any fans of "Kill or Be Killed" and "Kill and Kill Again" here? The first one features a Nazi Dwarf, and the second one has a plot to take over the world with a mind control drug extracted from potatoes. This drug is evidently not called "vodka" for some reason.

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Red Sun Rising! That's right. It was all about the dreaded 'dim mak', right? Everyone was death touching everyone else, or something.

Never seen Kill Or Be Killed or the sequel. But I have seen Kickboxer 5, in which Ryan plays an evil South African 'kickboxing' champion who kills kickboxers who refuse to join his organization. And who saves the day? Marc Dacascos, no less.

Stuart B.

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 11:48 AM
thats it! i just got some food and was thinking and gonna post it and u beat me to it :D i thought of rising sun but thats with big sean c, wesley snipes and a very nice looking tia carerre.

dawood

ps. how the heck do we fight or whatever on that game? :confused:

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 11:48 AM
ghthomason,

But who can forget the dramatic images of Billy Blanks in "Balance of Power"?

hmm... me, possibly. gimme more info. i'm willing to bet i've seen it. :)

stuart b.

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 11:52 AM
Billy Blanks has been in a few freaky movies... TC2000 was really cool (with bolo yeung and others) and so was Expect No Mercy in a freaky way :)

gosh were sad! :D

dawood

Chang Style Novice
04-09-2003, 11:56 AM
dez - that had me confused too, for a while. Turns out the programmers drop both fighter's stats into some kind of 'fight generation' program, and come up with a narrative and a result. I imagine it takes into account size, experience, vital stats, style, and strategy plus a little randomness. Anyway, they'll run it tonight and post results tomorrow. Then we'll find out how our imaginary surrogates did. They seem to be constantly tweaking the interface, though, so it may get more interactive as time wears on.

apoweyn
04-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Liked TC2000. And Talons of the Eagle. Skipped Expect No Mercy. (Actually, I thought I'd seen that one. But I thought that Blanks wasn't in it. Wasn't that David Bradley and Jalal Merhi?)

dezhen2001
04-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Blanks was in it for sure and Jalal Merhi too - kinda enter_the_dragonesque with the huge school full of expendable combat fooder :D

CSN: cool hopefully we will see what happens tomorrow :)

Guile
04-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Enter the Dragon of course is standard to the favorite flicks:D