PDA

View Full Version : More White Crane

Shaolin-Do
04-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Apparently a lot of people have been looking at the other crane post so I may as well give you all something to quote back on... hmm....
Any good crane training excersizes?
favorite crane katas...?

illusionfist
04-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Katas are from karate so i'm not sure you'll be getting any responses here.

Shaolin-Do
04-09-2003, 11:49 AM
forms...
my sincerest apologies... It was still early in the morning and sometimes my early Tae Kwan Do beginning still tangle my memory.

yutyeesam
04-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Hey Shaolin-Do,
The Lee Koon Hung lineage of Choy Lay Fut has a Crane Form. You can view a video clip of it here (the picture quality is not that great):

http://hpccss.net/kevinchan/movie/pastmov4.wmv

If you watch some Bruce Lee documentaries, you'll probably see his screen test in America. In this he demonstrates some Crane form. I don't know what it is, but I realized he used that same (or similar) sequence in Return of the Dragon, right before he kicked the fat Italian guy's back.

Shaolin-Do
04-09-2003, 12:16 PM
interesting... thx for the link.
does anyone have a link to the list of all 18 crane forms? (fukien)

Tsuruken
04-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Shaolin Do :

Firstly there are a great many more forms than 18. It all depends on the lineage or style of Fukien White Crane you have studied.

Please give us an example of the lineage or style of your White Crane?

If your interested in Crane-Fist, please visit the KOBGK Paihequan Wuyangkuan International Web Site at:

http://home.austarnet.com.au/tsuruken

Shaolin-Do
04-10-2003, 12:44 PM
yeah... GM Sin kinda keeps that all vague to us.... I know it came from the Fukien province.... the particular style we learn has 18 empty hand forms... I honestly couldnt tell you which particular style it is however... :(

ZhouJiaQuan
04-10-2003, 04:20 PM
yutyeesam,
that was a nice form, good stuff, anymore vids you can share?

btw that kicking combination you mentioned, if im thinking of the same one, is in some older modern wushu forms(an older changchuan form if i remeber correctly)

thanks
(nice sig btw, krishnamurti is an interesting thinker to say the least)

Brad
04-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I really liked that clip. The Bruce Lee footage was pretty cool to, and I remember thinking it was longfist, as it was just like what I did in some of my forms(modern).

Tsuruken, just add a .com to SD's name and that'll take ya to his orgs website.

As for that clip, was it a White Crane form or a crane form unique to CLF?

Tsuruken
04-10-2003, 09:56 PM
The CLF Crane form (Vid clip) is not typical of the Fukien art which is less acrobatic and not as long-ranged in technique execution.

From looking over the "Shaolin-Do" web site and while not trying to be controversial or to cause any offence, the art looks modern in origin and eclectic in style.

Tsuruken
04-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Further exploration of the Shaolin-Do web site raises some questions in that they refer to their forms as "kata's" not Taolu.

Why does Mr. Sin Kwang The' keep the lineage of his forms vague? How do you know they (the forms) came from Fukien province?

joedoe
04-10-2003, 10:45 PM
All very good questions that have been raised before Ron :). If you search for Shaolin Do or Sin Kwan The on the forum you will find a myriad of threads/arguments about this :)

Tsuruken
04-11-2003, 01:25 AM
Joe Doe :

Thanks. I see that the "Shaolin-Do" art has been the subject of quite a bit of discussion.

As for the query about the forms origins, I suspect an honest answer from Mr. Sin Kwang The' :confused: would serve to settle the manner. I for one, remain highly skeptical that his forms have any link to Fukien Crane-Fist.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 07:09 AM
lol.... Its really hard to find things out tho... Its kind of treated like "master level politics" that the rest of us should "stay out of"... I believe master Ie Chang Ming's gravestone is still in the fukien province actually... Ill do some serious research today and over the weekend to see what I can dig up on our lineage...

GreyMystik
04-11-2003, 07:15 AM
hint- do research OUTSIDE the SD circle, and see what you come up with...

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 07:48 AM
Actually... All of the dirt Ive dug up came from inside the circle. :)
The only things Im trying to find now are Sin The' s actual lineage... trust me tho, I have been looking in and outside the circle, and everywhere in between.

Tsuruken
04-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Shaolin-Do :

The more I read from the SD web site, the more skeptical I become.

Points of concern:

* The use of the term "Kata" to describe forms (Taolu)
* Belt degree ranking system (styled after Karate)
* The wearing of Gi instead of Gongfu uniforms
* Questionable lineages (Never heard of Ie Chang Ming)
* Questionable forms: Bai Hur Chon Su, Bai Hur Chuan Sip, Bai Hur Chua Chou (incorrectly spelled .... Bai He)

This list goes on and on.

What rank level are you in SD and how long have you been doing it?

What made you begin to question it's lineage and credibility?

Tsuruken
04-11-2003, 06:52 PM
From the Shaolin Do website at: http://www.swshaolin.com/kungfu.html

Our Great Grandmaster, Ie Chang Ming, introduced the use of colored belts to divide the material between student and disciple into five levels (White, yellow, blue, green, and brown)

The rank of ninth degree is considered a Grandmaster, but the position of tenth degree is held by only one person; the highest of the Grandmasters. While there can be many 9th degrees (there were often ten in a temple), there can be only one 10th degree. This person is given the awesome responsibility of assuring the continuation of Shaolin, in its purest form.

shaolin kungfu
04-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Shaolin do seems to be a collection of different arts. There also seems to be a lack of understanding of these arts. My guess is that the founder either saw these at one time and tried to copy them, or learned them from a book.

Tsuruken
04-13-2003, 02:49 AM
Shaolin do seems to be a collection of different arts. There also seems to be a lack of understanding of these arts. My guess is that the founder either saw these at one time and tried to copy them, or learned them from a book.

It seems to be a mix-mash of differents arts all thrown in together with no defing purpose.