PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate this school for me?

WVUKungFu
04-09-2003, 12:36 PM
http://www.asma-inc.org/tsk/web/index.html
(Click on Kempo)

Based on the descriptions on the website and the bio of the teacher, do you guys think this school is legit? I've never heard Kung Fu referred to as "Kempo" before.

Heres the description from the website

"SOUTHERN CHINESE KEMPO is a system of Kung-Fu based on Confucian ideals and utilizes exercises and fighting techniques that were being used during the Tang and Ming Dynasties (525 A.D. to 1644 A.D.). Confucianism is not a religion but more a school of thought and moral philosophy (ethics).
The Shaolin Temple fighting methods found in this art are based on the movements of animals (i.e. the eagle, tiger, snake, preying mantis, butterfly, dragon, etc.) and include hundreds of ancient and proven techniques for self-defense.
Traditional Southern Chinese Kempo is a powerful yet graceful long-fist art, but through the study of various animals, you will also learn short range fighting, finesse, cunning, speed and accuracy. "

I'd really appreciate any comments you guys have, as this is the only school I can find in my area.

Thanks!

PHILBERT
04-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Just go visit them and see how you like it. Only idiots, and I mean really STUPID idiots put up on there website that makes them look bad. Looking at a website doesn't evaluate the school or instructor.

norther practitioner
04-09-2003, 02:07 PM
????????????????????////
Traditional Southern Chinese Kempo is a powerful yet graceful long-fist art ????????????????????????//////

Taomonkey
04-09-2003, 02:13 PM
GYAKU-NAMI-DO was developed through studies of various forms of Karate, Kung-Fu, Judo, Aikido & Kobujutsu (weaponry) and therefore may be viewed as an "eclective art"; but never before has there been a system that embraces such an extensive repertoire of techniques ...nor has the coordination of such seemingly opposite philosophies been blended so masterfully.
Not just "hard" and "soft" elements in one system, but in each technique, Gyaku-Nami-Do has been described as the Missing Link between Karate & Kung-Fu. In thirty years of training, I have never seen such a complete system.
Gyaku-Nami-Do is a recognized branch of Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Karate and is our most demanding program. With an instructional style not unlike the Marine Corps, this is the ideal Martial Art for the serious student.

Sounds suspect, but the classes are cheap, check it out, the guy may be a fraud or real, but the question is does he have something you can learn. Try it, it wont take long to realise what you have found.

carly
04-09-2003, 03:02 PM
http://www.gzfs.20fr.com/

Oso
04-09-2003, 03:05 PM
carly, I'd have to agree. The quote by Royce at the bottom of the page is great.

herb ox
04-09-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm with taomonkey -

Southern Chinese kungfu AND long fist are rarely combined! Long fist is usually a northern style. Furthermore, Kempo is an american melange of styles - nothing to do with the southern styles (I may be wrong though :p...)

Also, I was unaware the butterfly is one of the animal techniques. Other than butterfly palm, sounds like he got mixed up with Mohammad Ali...

has anyone learned the butterfly animal form???

herb ox

GLW
04-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Just one question..

SOUTHERN Kempo being classed as a LONG FIST art....

Perhaps he misspoke.

Brad
04-09-2003, 03:51 PM
I have seen Southern Longfist divisions at most major Chinese martial arts tournements. Anyway, if honesty is something that's important to you in a martial arts teacher, be sure to ask the teacher who he learned from, check up on his background, and all that good stuff. There might not be much point in researching th actual history of the art, as it seems almost every style of Chinese Kempo looks fishy on paper :D So, don't take the history of the art seriously(unless you think the teach is making it up himself), and focus on the teacher's honesty and quality of instruction :)

WVUKungFu
04-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Thanks a lot guys! Good insights here.

Thing is...I'm not really into Jiu-jitsu or ground fighting at all. I've had my heart set on Kung Fu after seeing movies like both Legend of Drunken Master movies and of course Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

I NEED to do Kung Fu. This is the only place I can find (at least on the net or in phone books) that has anything resembling Kung Fu. I'll definately go check it out as soon as I have time. Its 30 minutes away, as I haven't actually moved to Morgantown yet. I'll be going there for college, and moving there in the middle of summer.

Again thanks for the insights all. Keep 'em coming! :D

carly
04-09-2003, 04:19 PM
colleges usually have martial arts clubs, they always have students who have leaned kung fu - put up a poster asking if anyone knows kung fu and wants to work out with you and you'll find someone.
Also, I a quick google search brought up the names of a few martial arts schools in the area.
If you really want kung fu, you'll be able to find it.

Brad
04-09-2003, 04:31 PM
I NEED to do Kung Fu.
Well, Kempo isn't kungfu, it's kempo(despite what most kempo schools say). All the Kempo I've seen has resembled Karate much more than kungfu. Maybe some of you other CMA guys have had different experiences with Kempo?

joedoe
04-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by herb ox
I'm with taomonkey -

Southern Chinese kungfu AND long fist are rarely combined! Long fist is usually a northern style. Furthermore, Kempo is an american melange of styles - nothing to do with the southern styles (I may be wrong though :p...)

Also, I was unaware the butterfly is one of the animal techniques. Other than butterfly palm, sounds like he got mixed up with Mohammad Ali...

has anyone learned the butterfly animal form???

herb ox

5 Ancestors Fist has Lohan as one of its foundation arts - definitely a longfist component in a southern art.

I have never heard of butterfly either, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. :)

Royal Dragon
04-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Tai Tzu has a Southern Long Fist division called Cheung Kune Pai

It has most all the same techniques as the Northern Tai Tzu branches, only they are done with a Southern flavor.

Choi Lay Fut is Southern Long Fist as well.

SevenStar
04-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Let's asked you this - what are you expecting to get out of a martial art? After that is answered, then decide what you need. Don't decide you need kung fu based on some movies you saw...

WVUKungFu
04-09-2003, 05:52 PM
It does sound like a very cheezy reason. I should say...that is that movies are what first opened my eyes to Kung Fu. I hadn't previously know what it was. Seeing the Drunken Master flicks just mezmerised me.

What I want to get out of it...well first of all I want to get back into the shape I was in while I was doing Tae Kwon Do a few years back. I was flexible, was in shape, and was really enjoying myself. So in short, I wanna get back into martial arts.

I'm doing Kendo right now. Its great in that it provides a great competitive aspect. The downside to it is that its very straightforward. Its 100% practical movements. You don't do anything that isn't neccesary to win the point. The focus is on your technique, and the perfect execution of it (otherwise you don't get ippon).

What I'm looking for in addition to this is a martial art that is both practical and beautiful. To me Kung Fu seems like a mix of both practical fighting, and beautiful forms. I'm fascinated watching any Kung Fu forms. (Not Wushu mind you, that seems more like gymnastics). No, Kung Fu seems like there is a mix of deadliness AND beautiful movements. This intrigues me. I want to get involved with it.

Thats the best way I can put it into words I suppose. :D

SevenStar
04-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. To me, the practicality is the beauty. especially when it's pulled off seemingly withoout a hitch. to me, there's nothing in MA more beautiful an a precisely executed throw or a perfect juji gatame.

Oso
04-09-2003, 06:17 PM
c'mon Seven, can't we have just one more guy???;) :)

joedoe
04-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Yeah, let us have one more. :D

SevenStar
04-09-2003, 06:26 PM
Okay, okay...gee ****!

:D

SevenStar
04-09-2003, 06:27 PM
LOL @ KFO censoring wh!z

Laughing Cow
04-09-2003, 06:39 PM
WVUKungFu.

First I think you need to look at what your goals are:
1.) Do you want to study a specific style.
2.) Do you want to learn to fight.

Unfortunately they are not mutually exclusive, but a mixed style might suit you better if you want to become a good fighter in the street.

No matter what art/style you choose, it will look beautiful & effortless if executed by a skilled practicioner.

Just some thoughts.

WVUKungFu
04-09-2003, 06:54 PM
#1.
Really...want to learn...Kung Fu. I'm fascinated with it. :D

Laughing Cow
04-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by WVUKungFu
#1.
Really...want to learn...Kung Fu. I'm fascinated with it. :D

Ok, you need to look at a variety of styles and choose which one you like.

I am sure that there will be some offered close to you. There should atleast be some Tai chi or similar.

WVUKungFu
04-09-2003, 07:04 PM
This is the only one I've found so far in the area with an internet and phone book search.

I kinda thought it looked at least semi believeable, but after what you guys are saying I'm starting to think a bit differently.

As far as styles...how about 8 drunken immortals? :D

No but seriously...so far what I've seen that I like is Hung Gar and Praying Mantis. I'm not picky though. If I can find genuine Kung Fu, I'll take it.

Especially if I can find an Iron Crotch school. Man, that'd be nice. :p

herb ox
04-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon
Tai Tzu has a Southern Long Fist division called Cheung Kune Pai

It has most all the same techniques as the Northern Tai Tzu branches, only they are done with a Southern flavor.

Choi Lay Fut is Southern Long Fist as well.

Pardon my ignorance... I never heard of those styles classified as Long Fist... I learn something new everyday!

It's true though, Kempo is not kung fu and I bet you'll be barefoot and wearing belts and a karate outfit...

Royal Dragon
04-09-2003, 08:02 PM
herb ox,
Tai Tzu Chang Chuan = Great ancestor's Long Fist.

Cheung Kune is just Chang Chuan in a Southern Dialect.

Tai Tzu has a Southern Short fist system as well, but it was created independantly buy the Southern Sung as basic training for the troops (my current understanding), and is not directly related to the Tai Tzu Chang Chuan of Sung Tai Tzu. The Cheung Kune IS the same style as the Northern, but due to it's being propagated in the South for so long, it morphed into a Southern system. The forms are different, but if you break them down, vertually all the Northern techniques are there.

GLW
04-09-2003, 08:30 PM
The Kempo I have seen has had more similarity to Southern short hand systems than any southern long. The stnaces were typically high and close with everything fairly close to middle range.

Then again, I have also had Chinese people tell me that a southern long hand system they did was northern because it was long hand...even though its methods were southern applied to long hand.

RAF
04-10-2003, 10:06 AM
If you are discussing the martial arts of the late Willie Chow of Hawaii whose art was labeled Kempo Karate then I can tell that it is a definitely sourthern Chinese System.

In the late 1970s, long before I was involved in martial arts, I was friends with a Paulist Priest by the name of Father Al Kim. Willie Chow was his Uncle and he told us funny stories about his Uncle V(W)illey. He told us that his Uncle's father or grandfather (can't remember) left Southern China and settled in Hawaii.

Father Kim is now permanently stationed in Hawaii and is a parish priest.

He was one of the first Asians I ever met and he taught me how to eat spicy food to that point that Sichuan families raise their eyebrows at what I used to eat (mild Asthma put an end to my heavy spice eating).

Father Kim said that he never practice the art (I don't believe him) and his sisters were adept in it. One of them appeared on the old series of MASH.

Now, I don't know how Willie Chow's kungfu got mixed into Mitrose's Kenpo (Japanese) and how Ed Parker may have added or subtracted from the system but the original style practiced by Willie Chow is Southern Chinese.

Taomonkey
04-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Here is where you can find a copy of Mitose's book, its a great work and an interesting read.

http://www.tracyskarate.com/History/Mitosebook/masterpage.htm#Pages