PDA

View Full Version : My First Shaolin Class

TatewakiKuno
06-28-2001, 09:52 PM
Well last night I took my first class of shaolin kung fu. It was for 2 hours in a room that was atleast 105 degrees. I have to say it was the hardest workout in my life and we didn't even do that much. I have very strong legs (i used to do TKD) and i can lift over 800lbs on the legpress but I couldn't hold a horse stance for more then 2min. It is extremely hard stuff and as I sit here typing every part of my body hurts. I loved every minute of it though and I'm gonna keep going and training on my own.

In the state where the mind, body and soul unite to transcend the power of enlightenment, the teachings of the zen believe the human spirit embodies the ability to master any domain. The desire to challenge the mind,the drive to push the limits and the motivation to defy the status quo. For all walks of life, the search for identity and wisdom begins with the attitude of the mind...

Shaolindynasty
06-28-2001, 11:08 PM
I noticed that when TKD blackbelts came to our class once they could only hold the horse stance for 1 min. Maybe TKD takes a different kind of leg strength than Shaolin. Where was this class?

Witness the Dynasty!!!
New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

TatewakiKuno
06-28-2001, 11:54 PM
it was in a community center, really ****ty place but i don't mind because its real training. When I took TKD it was such a sellout school, air conditioning, music playing during warm ups, like 5 year old black belts, people getting new belts every month. The adult classes were a bit better like you could only test for a belt when he thought u were ready but it was still a sell out school. This shaolin stuff is real training, we dont use mats or anything like that. Its just good ol fashion stuff. I can't wait until he tells what style I will get to learn, I know this won't happen for awhile but its just so exciting.

In the state where the mind, body and soul unite to transcend the power of enlightenment, the teachings of the zen believe the human spirit embodies the ability to master any domain. The desire to challenge the mind,the drive to push the limits and the motivation to defy the status quo. For all walks of life, the search for identity and wisdom begins with the attitude of the mind...

Shaolindynasty
06-29-2001, 12:00 AM
What state and city? Who is the teacher?

Witness the Dynasty!!!

TatewakiKuno
06-29-2001, 12:02 AM
Asbury NJ, Sifu Derek Dene(or Dean) im not sure how its spelled

Shaolindynasty
06-29-2001, 12:16 AM
"I can't wait until he tells what style I will get to learn, I know this won't happen for awhile but its just so exciting."

What styles does he teach?

Witness the Dynasty!!!

TatewakiKuno
06-29-2001, 12:48 AM
im not sure about all of them, ive only done one class, so ive only seen alittle bit. I saw some people doing eagle claw and some doing northern mantis. I've heard he teaches alot of stuff though

bdragon
07-10-2001, 06:14 PM
I'm up to my fourth class. Im taking it at the Central Jersey Shaolin Kung-Fu Academy. I love it, I just started learning punch exercise #1 last night.

Sil Lum Palm
07-10-2001, 09:25 PM
It's great that you enjoyed your Shaolin class, thats what this art needs is more serious students to carry on the tradition. I also know the feeling about sell-out schools, they come a dime a dozen around here. I felt the same as you during my first class, I couldn't hold the horse stance more than a minute either and I have trained just about my entire life in MMA. Shaolin kung fu is demanding, but the rewards are limitless. Keep up the hard work.. I also know what you mean about waiting to see what your going to learn, our instructor does the same because there are a few different systems offered at our school. Also, you get a yin and yang animal as well. I hope to do the monkey and mantis.