PDA

View Full Version : quistion on clf

racerX
04-09-2003, 01:51 PM
hello iam new to the board,most of the time i just read never post,anyhow iam curious about three diffrent linages of clf.do you have same forms,does one style express diffrent technique or power, footwork?who did lee koon hung train under?i dont care which style is better or who started clf,iam interstred in similarties.:)

monk weed
04-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Hello racerx and welcome to the board. All branches of clf share the same techniques and stance. They all pretty much share the same philosophy on power and speed. Having said that you will see that not all clf practioners execute their clf in this manner. Why? Who knows. Maybe it's the way their sifu taught them or maybe the practioner is to lazy or weak from improper practice. You will also notice that in all the branches of clf the names of forms are the same but are performed in a completely different manner. Like the sub ji kow da form. All branches have this form but it looks different from each branch. I think that has to do with the way clf branched out of China and the world. I have noticed that the Lee Koon Hung branch uses a lot of upper body power while Doc Fai Wongs branch tends to be a little softer. It does not make it any better or worse just different emphisis on theroy. I see that you are from Florida. If I'm not mistaken Lee Koon Hung has several of his students teaching in Florida some of which I think participate on this forum. I'm sure that you will hear from one of them.

CLFNole
04-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Lee Koon Hung trained under 5 different teachers:

Choy Lay Fut
Poon Dik - sifu
Leung Sai - si hing (top student of Poon Dik)
Chow Bing - si hing (top student of Poon Dik)
So Kam Fook - sisuk (Poon Dik's younger kf brother)

Sifu later trained with Shek Kin in northern style.

Peace.

racerX
04-10-2003, 05:48 PM
monk weed what do you mean by softer?ive seen people go so fast that there tenique looks sloppy and have no power. than others alittle slower with great power and crisp tenique or do you mean softer has in more internal? how does your school teach?anyone else feel free to join in.

CLFNole
04-10-2003, 06:52 PM
When it comes to CLF soft does not mean internal. Internal is a feel and understanding of power through efficient movement and understanding of technique. We had a post about this a long time ago.

CLF is done differently throughout the branches and within each branch. Doc Fai Wong's CLF is different from Lee Koon Hung's, which in turn can be different from others.

Within our own lineage Tat Mau Wong has differences as does Mak Hin Fai and Li Siu Hung, all of which learned from Lee Koon Hung. Each person interprets things slightly different than others, however the overall integrity remains constant.

Most important is to perfect one's own CLF to the best of their ability and accept the fact that we are all a little different.

Peace.

Serpent
04-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Excellent post, CLFNole.

:)

monk weed
04-11-2003, 01:12 PM
well said!

RX: I like to practice with power and speed. I'm a little hyper.