PDA

View Full Version : different mother stances

wingchunalex
04-09-2003, 07:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone had experiences with different mother stances of different branches of wing chun?

I know many wing chun styles use the pigeon toed stance, or at least with the hip joints rotated inward so the knees point down and in like a triangle.

has anyone had experiences with stances similar to pan nam wing chun's wider and paralleled foot/knee stance?

has anyone had experiences using a narrower parrallel foot/knee stance like the neutral stance of tai chi where the feet are sholder width apart and the knees are just bent naturally and weight sunken?

Has anyone had experiences where the feet/knees are turned in but the the hips are not rotated up/ pulled up/ pushed forward (however you want to say that), and that the hips are just sunken staight down?

have any of these different variations on the mother stance (yee jee kim yeung ma) worked better or worse for you?

Have any of these different variations worked better for shifting/turning stance than others?

I think its kinda apparent my direction of pondering here, there's no need to answer each quesiton specifically, just kinda tell me what ya think if that works for you.

EnterTheWhip
04-09-2003, 11:40 PM
with different attributes and therefore purposes.

Rolling_Hand
05-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Hm...

Sam has some pa kwa stances in his Fut Sao WCK lineage.

t_niehoff
05-08-2003, 04:39 AM
IME the YJKYM is not a stance but is a vehicle for learning and developing a specific set of body mechanics. If you see the mechanics as the point of the YJKYM, it becomes formless; if you don't get the mechanics, then all you are left with is the shape (which leads to concern about the details of the shape, etc.).

Terence

reneritchie
05-08-2003, 06:13 AM
Everything in Wing Chun Kuen is the Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma, only the interpretation of it varies. For the Foshan lineages proper, it is the trapezoid shaped yang (meridian) clamping horse (or for some the goat clamping horse). The legs to varying degrees are rotated inwards (from imperceptible to obviously convergent) and internally adducted (from knees a fist-width apart to quite apart). Even Pan Nam falls into this group, as he views the Yueng/Yang as the 3 Yang points aligning.

For others the Yee Jee:

--
----

Rather than showing a trapezoid ( / \ ) shows two parallel lines ( = ) and thus they believe the feet should be parallel.

Hope this helps.