PDA

View Full Version : Wrists

Fu Jau
04-10-2003, 05:09 AM
I have very painful wrists, I have had it before (doctor said 'tenosynovitis' it cleared up with ibuprofen and rest) as a result of too much piano playing but I havent done much to strain them recently. I dont like taking any medicine like ibuprofen, aspirin, are there any exersizes that would not strain but strengthen them since wrists are pretty important to Kung Fu! ?

Robinf
04-10-2003, 05:38 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anatomy.htm

click on the forearms.

Also, doing pushups only on your fists (palms facing each other). This will strengthen the wrists and not cause further problems as flat hand push ups.

Use light weights and grow very slowly from there.

Before you start doing these things, though, check the exercises out with your doctor and be sure they're safe for your particular wrists.

Cyborg
04-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Wrist curls are OK to start with but I would recommend using a plate instead of a db or bar. It will scorch your fingers and thumb. Also do pullups using a rope instead of a bar, or a board where your fingers are at a 90* to your hands. Basically, anytime you lift anything you should concentrate on crushing whatever it is you're lifting. If you want to work out when driving try www.ironmind.com and get the captains of crush gripper! Trust me, start with the trainer. Oh wait, if you play the piano you might not want those as they have a rough grip. Kettlebells work your grip pretty good too...

PHILBERT
04-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Get some Baoding Balls (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/45-41l.html) to use on your wrist.

Fu Jau
04-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Thanks, that website robinf said was useful. Philbert, I have some baoding balls but what should i do with them to help my wrists? Move them around in my hand? For a long time?

abobo
04-11-2003, 10:27 AM
wrist roller - basically a dowel / short bar with a weight connected via rope in the center. You roll the weight up with your wrists parallel to the ground, palms down. You can turn it around and work either side of the forearms. And you can make your own with one trip to the hardware store.

Leverage exercises will help when your fist is vertical. Like lifting a sledgehammer, for example.

In the gym, plate curls / plate wrist curls will do.

There quite a few useful exercises for hand and wrist strength, so just pick a couple to start with and go from there.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Playing piano hurt your wrists? Hmm... I would say that it helps me... Ive been playing piano for 15 years now, its done my hands nothing but good. However, I have a broken right wrist, and to work it I simply bought one of those *golds gym forearm excersizer* its just like a sleeve with a handle and adjustable tension that focuses mainly on your wrists... a Heavy tension grip master is good too. Wrist push ups work great, but only if your wrists are strong enough to do them to begin with. If they arent the damage could far outweigh the good.

WinterPalm
04-13-2003, 12:36 AM
MASTERY OF HAND STRENGTH!!!!!
Nuff' said...