PDA

View Full Version : snake forms

netfreak
04-10-2003, 06:03 AM
Hey, does anyone know the names of the forms for snake kung fu? If so, please let me know. It will be appriciated.

David Jamieson
04-14-2003, 04:27 AM
1.ted the snake

2.ted the snake finds the apple tree

3.ted the snake hits on a chick by giving her an apple

4.ted the snake hides out

5.ted counts to ten

6.ted the snake visits the dentist

I'm pretty sure that's all of them. At least teh ones from teh "ted the snake style"

cheers
:D

Kristoffer
04-14-2003, 06:13 AM
"stroking the snake"

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 07:55 AM
you forgoet
7. Ted the snake hangs low
8. Ted the snake enters cave
9. Ted the snake stands tall
:)

David Jamieson
04-14-2003, 09:52 AM
seriously though....

the names I have heard associated with snake are:

sare kuen, se kuen and she kuen.

The form i was taught from the Ha Say Fu system is Sare or She Kuen.

Snake style in and of itself is not common and rather, the snake is a guiding principle of coiling power, constricting power and pinpoint striking.

Snake style develops Chi (breath) in the practitioner and as a style, it's movements are similar to that of a snake. IE: undulation, weaving, 45 degree footwork, coiling, fa jing, constriction and pinpoint striking to soft tissues and vital areas.

you would be hard pressed to find it as a stand alone style. But you can learn it withing styles such as Ha say fu, Hung Gar, Wing Chun and in some curriculums of Shaolin Kungfu.

cheers

cheers

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Gotta agree with kung lek...
Ive learned 3 sections of snake ba gua...
When I was learning, one way it was described to me is that snakes have no arms or legs, so while performing snake, move as if you are one whole, not a body with arms and legs. another main focus of snake is using the coil momentum like a spring, twist a spring tight and when you let it go, the energy resulting from the coil is enormous.

ursa major
04-25-2003, 06:35 PM
I only know of one Snake form from Hay Say Fu system. I think I counted some 200+ strikes in the form. I am always winded after practicing it.. great excercise. I was taught it as "Snake".

Several decades ago I was taught a Tiger & Snake form but have long since lost it. Too bad eh ?

David Jamieson
04-26-2003, 06:26 AM
ursa-

the snake form I was taught is also from Ha Say Fu and in chinese is called "she kuen" or simply "snake fist".

there are a lot of finger strikes in the form and a considerable amount of 45 degree stepping patterns.

where is your Ha say fu from?

cheers

ursa major
04-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
ursa-
the snake form I was taught is also from Ha Say Fu and in chinese is called "she kuen" or simply "snake fist".

there are a lot of finger strikes in the form and a considerable amount of 45 degree stepping patterns.

where is your Ha say fu from?

cheers

Probably the same form or rooted in similar form as yours. Mine was part of a Hung Gar curriculum along with Crane, Dragon, Leopard and Tiger forms. I also practice the Canton mixed forms eg: Tiger & Crane, Ten Forms, Five forms, etc that have Snake woven in to them.

I find Hay Say Fu 'Snake Fist' form to be unusual, unique with fang, cobra, tongue strikes. It explores Snake it far greater detail than any of the mixed forms.

UM