PDA

View Full Version : Swansea Ving Tsun - New Class

stuartm
04-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Hi ,

As some of you on this forum know, i teach for Samuel Kwok in Swansea, South Wales UK. Just to let you know that due to the expansion of the club we now have a second night at Manselton Community Centre in Swansea, same time 7.30 -9.15 every Wenesday, as well as private sessions. All are welcome

A quick reminder to all my students new or prospective - the seminar with Sifu Kwok will begin at 1.30 prompt.

There are seminars on the horizon from fellow sifus on footwork and Chi Gung. More info on the website:

http://mysite.freeserve.com/swanseawingchun

Anyone interested in attending the class can contact me on 07816 877159 or e-mail swanseavingtsun@yahoo.co.uk

Best wishes, Stuart

captain
04-10-2003, 06:37 AM
hello stuart,is swansea near cardiff?id love to drop by
one time see what the welsh boys are up to.can you
tell me stuart,if s.kwok student ,robin osborne still teaches
in the west mids.
cheers
Russell.

Jim Roselando
04-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Hello,

Hey! Do any of you Welsch Wing Chunners know Dave Preston and Robert Stevens? Both are my friends and good guys! Actually, Rob was here for a long weekend training about one month ago.

Good luck with the seminar.

Regards,

stuartm
04-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. On a general note - all are welcome at my class regardless of age. lineage, style etc. The only rule is no machismo or unecessary agression.

Captain - Swansea (where i live) is about 40 miles from Cardiff (where i work) and takes about an hour to get there. Please feel free to call in to the class anytime. Dont know Robin sorry.

Jim - dont know them unfortunately, but again theyre welcome !

Regards, Stuart

foolinthedeck
04-11-2003, 04:53 PM
just to make everything fair...

theres also Mike Arnolds Wing Chun class on wednesdays from 6.50-9pm in the YMCA in swansea, part of the midlands wing chun association, Yip Chun Lineage.

also on mondays in Neath - same Sifu.

also, Mike Kaniewski is teaching Wing Chun again in swansea.

also, i love chi sau and dont charge anything LOL, i'm available all the time and have Yip Chun Lineage thru Michael Tse (originally).

i'm not 'trolling' you stuart, i must say that Mike Hart from Chanquanshu highly recommends Stuart's club, but its Ip Ching lineage so slightly different from what i've done.

stuartm
04-13-2003, 06:40 AM
Hi foolin,

My original post was not a political attempt to lure students, just a general point of info. I myself inform students that my old sifu teaches in the ym and they are all free to go there or anywhere else. I would like nothing better than to pop into his club for a chat and some friendly chi sao but unfortunately this is not the case. WC practitioners in Swansea are quite lucky as they have the opportunity to train both Ip Ching ad Ip Chun method. Its a shame we cant just unite in representing the late Grandnaster Ip Man. As ive said before, maybe you could pass on these thoughts to your sifu.

To make things clear, what i teach also contains Ip Chun, that is why i chose Sifu Kwok as he has represented both sons of Yip Man. I spent three years of Ip Chun lineage and so much of what i learnt still remains, i just prefer the Yip Ching way, especially chi sao and the theory of 'fan sao', which to me is the essence of wing chun. The energies and emphasis within his forms are also completely different.

Take a look at the Ip Ching demo on the Ving Tsun Conference VCD from 1999 and you will see his biu jee and him applying this and fan sao with a student - pretty awesome. I practised Chi Sao with Sigung at Foshan last year and it was completely different to anything i had ever experienced. When my website is done i will try and place it on there for you to see. I also find his method is more suited to deal with bigger circles - people do not attack you in the street using a very tight approach with purely centreline attacks, so your chi sao needs to train you for this also.

Regards,Stuart

Nat from UK
04-15-2003, 05:29 AM
I am glad your club is proving a success.

I keep threatening to pop in if my work brings me in the area at an appropriate night.

Nat from UK

Ish
04-15-2003, 05:53 AM
Hi Stuart

glad ur classes are going well, Just wondering when the seminar with sam Kwok is and if you have any Ip Ching seminars planned for this year.

foolinthedeck
04-15-2003, 07:04 AM
hi stuart,
no probs, i never said that you were being political or luring students. just wanted anyone who looked at this thread to see the options - see i even mentioned Mike Kaniewski, who also teaches wing chun now. i've never met him and cant comment on his skill but just put it out there.

i'm happy to roll with anyone, just not so much into paying £5 to do so...

headstock
04-16-2003, 02:40 PM
I would like to add if you are further east of swansea, there is a class in bridgend on a thursday night with Sifu Steve Jones as part of the South Wales/Midlands Wing Chun Association. It is the Ip Chun style and the students range from beginner to advanced. I think it's strange there's no class ni Cardiff i've heard of, people come to bridgend from around Cardiff. If you want anymore details of the class you can email me headstock666@hotmail.com. Hi Foolinthedeck, hi stuart, hope things are good.

stuartm
04-17-2003, 02:00 AM
Hi all,

Nat / Ish - thanks for the comments. You are all welcome at the club any time. As for seminars, I believe Sifu Kwok is trying to bring Sigung Ip Ching to the UK later in the year so keep an eye on my website or at www.kwokwingchun.demon.co.uk

Ish - the seminar with Sifu Kwok was last Saturday and went really well with 17 of my students attending which i consider to be a top turnout given the club has only been running just over a year. Sifu focused on footwork, punching and lok sao. He will be coming back probably twice more to my club this year so keep checking the website or e-mail me privately if you wish to attend.

Headstock - never spoke to you before, thanks for comments. I used to train with Steve in Corntown on Thursdays for a few years - Steve is really nice guy and excellent at Wing Chun.

Foolin - no problem mate, although im not quite sure where the £5 comment comes from? Doesnt your sifu charge £5 per lesson which i understand is about standard at most clubs. If you remember when i emailed you privately, i also said you could pop around for some free chi sao / discussion and a cuppa to see what you thought of the Ip Ching differences. That offer still stands........

Best wishes, Stuart

foolinthedeck
04-17-2003, 11:50 AM
oh sorry stu,
i only remembered that you mentioned private sessions being £20 an hour and didnt get the part about free non political chi sau and tea. i dont drink caffeine though so it'll have to be ginseng tea - i've got your mobile no. so i'll send you a text when i have some time!

regarding what headstock said about cardiff - is there a class that way? i know of one in Bristol YMCA where i used to go, dont know which 'lineage' it is but the Sifu's name is Jess Whatley. seems strange that swansea is such a hotbed of wing chun!!! nice though! lets keep it that way!

stuartm
04-18-2003, 02:37 AM
Hi again foolin,

Please do send me a text and call around, i love meeting new WC friends and learning from. Thats why i made the offer - to exchange ideas and not as any sort of challenge.

By the way private lessons are £20 per session which generally last about 1.45 hrs whih i think is more than reasonable. Last time i trained with yuor sifu he was charging his other stuidents the same price. I have the same view as your sifu - that £20 for nearly two hours of my weekend lesiure time is a small price to pay !

Send that text soon !

Take care, Stu