PDA

View Full Version : Who here is of Moy Yat lineage?

phantom
04-10-2003, 10:22 AM
For those of you that are, do you like Moy Yat's method enough to recommend it to others? Also, why is Moy Yat's approach commonly taught along with Hung Fa Yi wing chun? Thanks in advance.

45degree fist
04-10-2003, 08:23 PM
I recomend it because it covers alot of technical knowledge along side the physical.

As for the second part I know at least two HFY schools are also Moy Yat recognized schools . and teach Moy Yat Family Wing Chun within them.

Savi
04-12-2003, 10:18 PM
Hello Phantom! I am going to share with you my personal experience and perspective regarding your question. Again, the following information is only of my understanding...

The school I attend is rooted in this lineage:

Sifu Loewenhagen - Sifu Meng - Sifu Moy Yat - ancestors....

but is also rooted in this lineage:

Sifu Loewenhagen - Sifu Meng - Sifu Gee (inheritor) - ancestors...

Wing Chun schools which branch from my Sigung Benny Meng also teach Hung Fa Yi. The role of a true disciple is to learn and preserve the knowledge of their sifu. As such, each branch school is dedicated to preserving Hung Fa Yi as well.

Master Meng and Master Loewenhagen are disciples of the Hung Fa Yi family, which coincidentally are certified masters under GM Mot Yat. So to answer your question, IMO , this is one reason why Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun is 'commonly found' with "Moy Yat's method."

As 45degreefist also alluded to, the level of technical detail in GM Moy Yat's wisdom is very deep, intricate, and systematically logical. On many levels I can see its compatability with the methods and technical information in the HFYWCK.

In addition, it is upon these grounds of technical sophistication, which GM Moy Yat passed on to his disciples, which enabled those who decided to take their journey into Hung Fa Yi and excel in a fashion only a master-level practitioner can. As a student of Master Loewenhagen, I share his roots and can profess to the ability to comprehend and apply Hung Fa Yi much easier than if I didn't have a foundation in "Moy Yat's method", but I can't speak for everyone of course; just on my own experience!

Owen
04-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Phantom>
the vast majority of Moy Yat schools teach only Moy Yat Ving Tsun.
I have reccomended the style to several people, most of them have continued training and enjoyed it alot.

Tom Kagan
04-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Can I recommend it to others? That is not something for me to suggest. You'd have to decide for yourself. I don't know for what you are looking. While you have some good questions to ask any prospective teacher, you really should ask the teacher directly and give the answers more than just "the once over."

One thing to keep in mind is many people have their own ideas as to how they or others should be taught. So, it can take a lot more for some than others to truly be what I'd consider to be a "good student" of a given teacher - and some people just don't have it in them. But, that's not really a big deal, either. Maybe you have issues, maybe your teacher has issues, maybe it's just bad luck things don't "click." So what? Go out and find another teacher, martial art, or way to self discovery entirely if it's not working out. But, don't be a jerk about such a decision, either. ;)

No one could rightly claim they could be all things to all people. And, methods are just that: methods. There is mostly just a casual correlation between a method of learning and what I would consider the nature, or "essence," of a given subject matter a person is trying to comprehend. And, in my opinion, far too many people loose sight of this important aspect and confuse the two.

Three more things come to mind:

1) Not all students of Moy Yat are equal. Like any other field of study or for a particular school, some students are good, some not. However, all of my SiHings who truly were close to our Sifu I'd say are pretty consistent in regards to skill versas the amount of time they've trained. Make all the jokes you want about what level that means. I don't consider many people I must call "SiHing" to be very close to our Sifu - I wonder about that last point for myself, too. Luckily for me, no one has to call me "SiHing." :D

Frankly, I've come across some who claim to be my SiHing whom I know never even met the man, much less trained under him for any length of time - not that I'll ever let them know I know. ;) I've only known one of those types (so far) who had the stones to actually try and teach under such a similar claim.

It is an unfortunate circumstance so many want to call Moy Yat their Sifu and use his name but never really were very close at all. But, hey, that's life. Not much can stop that. (Whose job would that task be and why bother, anyway?) However, for those people really so inclined, I might suggest, [I]at the very least, is to speak directly with the HQ in NYC instead of posting on an anonymous public internet forum - or just believing whatever they might come across. "Caveat Emptor" :)

2) On certification: To my knowledge, Sifu never certified anyone, except for just fun. "Sure, I'll give you a certificate. Think about if you earned the right to hang it up" is what he used to say to those who asked for one. I remember him asking me on more than one occasion whether I wanted one. I used to say: "Maybe later." :D One day he just wrote on a napkin a list of five different things, all nothing to do with martial arts, signed it and said to me: "Here. I certify you" and never asked me again if I wanted a certificate. :)

3) Owen is correct, for the most part, on his comment regarding "the vast majority of Moy Yat schools teach only Moy Yat Ving Tsun." But, you may want to consider, for those that use their space for other things besides that, a teacher has to do what it takes to keep his or her school open, I guess. Otherwise, no one could ever find a place to train whether it be in a park, basement, or somewhere else. That's arguably the most important thing a good teacher could do for a student who truly wants to learn from a person, in my opinion, regardless of subject matter. I feel it's pretty important for a good student to help their teacher keep the door open, too. Sometimes that's easier to do than other times. I doubt anyone ever amassed a fortune of money teaching martial arts, though some managed to keep a roof over their head and their school door open. Those who did find some measure of monentary wealth in a martial arts related field I feel, almost without exception, didn't do it by just teaching.