PDA

View Full Version : Lol.... Opinions on Shaolin-Do?

Shaolin-Do
04-10-2003, 02:06 PM
LOFL... I know this is going to light a fire under a few arses... I dont care. Say what you will. Have fun. hehehe....

norther practitioner
04-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Why don't we just keep this where it was, or bring it all here...it's up to you.

Shaolin-Do
04-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Doesnt really matter... a lot of people have a lot of problems with shaolin-do... hopefully people will just be mature about it....
Ill keep answering in the other forum too... hopefully I can find out some things here where people hate SD that I couldnt learn else where... or people are just gonna start ****ing. :)
f*ck it. Im at work, dont have anything better to do anyways ;)

lkfmdc
04-10-2003, 02:22 PM
I haven't had much direct exposure to it, it doesn't upset me or make me lose sleep. It's better than Chung Moo Quan/Chung Moo Doe, which was a cult which brainwashed and robbed it's students. I find many of it's claims, for lack of a better word, "silly", ie historically and factually incorrect or impossible. And of course, anyone that claims they have mastered hundreds of SYSTEMS in their entirety...

but if you like it, that's why this is the US

Shaolin-Do
04-10-2003, 02:25 PM
no no, I agree with you completely on the fact that if he was going to lie, he should have made it at least believabe.... 900 forms is what GM Sin claims to know... I know that to not be true. How many he does know however, is still a question, Master leonard, his senior student has 250+ right now... but thats still 650 away from 900 ;)

Water Dragon
04-10-2003, 02:33 PM
I'll bite. Now, I haven't seen much Shaolin Do, but here is a description of what I noticed after watching a few of the classes.

Class started by working on a form. But when they taught it, they learned about 5 moves, practiced it about 3 times, and that was it. When corrections were made, they actually made the students structure worse. They were a lot more interested in depth of stance vs. correct alignment and when "applications" were taught, I couldn't help chuckling.

The teacher was showing tem a phoenix eye fist. Never mind that he would break his hand the way he was holding it. He would DEFINITELY break his hand if he ever tried to hit someone the way he was showing it. A phoenix eye is not a punch, you can't punch someone with a phoenix eye the way you would with a regular fist.

Then they did some throws, I'm not sure if it's because they knew I was a SC guy or what. But let's just say that when the teacher does a hip toss, he should be able to at least get the other guys feet off the floor.

After class, I decided to be fair and ask them some legitamate questions. I asked them about structure, body conditioning, power development exercises, basically the basics. The stuff that helps you fight. Thhey were clueless. They had absolutely no idea what I was asking about.

I left the school with the impression that the art was basically like a camaro with no engine and a bad paint job.

KC Elbows
04-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Shaolin do, in my opinion, is okay as long as you totally ignore sin the's claims of possessing the one true shaolin and all.

After all, they don't restrict you from learning under different teachers if you want, their instructors tend to have learned from other people, and thus it's not a "Sin The to the exclusion of all others" sort of mindset. Not cultish, just sort of cheesy self promotional stuff from Sin The.

As for the martial arts, I think of it as a starter school- you will probably not get too burned by the organization, and you can figure out whether you're into martial arts while you're in it. And since the instructors can study with whomever they like in addition to Sin The, there's probably some okay guys in there.

Mind you, the name is cheesy. But look at my handle. Who am I to judge?

lkfmdc
04-10-2003, 02:38 PM
well, since this thread didn't immediately die, if he was gonna make stuff up, particularly names, he should have had a better translater...

my personal favorite

10,000 coackroach style

Shaolin-Do
04-10-2003, 02:43 PM
lol... sounds deadly.
The main interest I have to be honest, is to get to the 8 drunken immortal society. Its required to have a black belt to get in... 10 years in external curriculums, or at least 4 years kung fu... Dragon - where did you go watch a class? I know that even the school in round rock is taught very differently than it is here... only 120 miles away. (not in the forms, but in the attitude of the teachers and students)

Water Dragon
04-10-2003, 02:46 PM
It was in NW Indiana. The teacher was from Illinois, I wish I still had the business card he gave me. Apparently he also teaches the police, swat teams, CIA, all that good stuff.

Shaolin-Do
04-10-2003, 02:52 PM
hmm... well it wouldnt surprise me if some of the masters tend to "glorify" themselves in the same way that GM Sin did... dont know where I just read it, but something compared SD to kempo... lol.... I have a friend thats a 4th degree blackbelt in kempo.. it looks nothing like SD :)
Neither does TKD or Hapkido... ect. ect... From what I can gather, it is a patchwork art.... You may learn 1 full system... but its going to take a god **** long time... MAY learn.... they need to change the slogan from the most comprehensive martial art to the most controversial..... ;)

Water Dragon
04-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Question for you S.D. Have you done any other Chinese systems? I'm just curious what your base of comparison would be.

Shaolin-Do
04-10-2003, 02:58 PM
theres a wushu school ive looked at here in town, and a wing chun school... neither really interested me... I have a friend that took PM privately from some little old chinese man that died a couple years ago... Ive never been enrolled into another chinese martial art however.
As for SD being chinese, Ive watched the videos of some of our students going to china. They performed some forms for the monks at the temple, and ill be ****ed, the monks did the EXACT SAME FORM! ... I cannot contest to the legitimacy of the entire system... but they did a few forms the same :)

Water Dragon
04-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Well, my questions would be:
How is stance work taught? How much emphasis in the beginning?

How long does it take to learn 1 form?

What power development exercises do you do?

What equipment training? (long spear, rock poles, rope pulleys, stonelocks, etc)

How much emphasis on basic conditioning? (running, strength building exericises)

What drills do you focus on and how do they help you fight?

IMO, this is stuff that all needs to be covered before forms. The above are what are called "the basics" and compose about 90 % of my workouts.

norther practitioner
04-10-2003, 03:26 PM
It seems to me that Shaolin do has been expanding and changing its curriculmn. I have made several trips to a couple different schools, the gis always urked me, the forms I saw at one looked like a cross between hung gar and kempo, the person doing them though (as I have just found out) actually studied some hung gar, so that might be that influence. It just comes across as a mckwoon most of the time. GM The also does make some quite unbelievable claims.

Water Dragon
04-10-2003, 03:28 PM
lol @ me being quoted in a sig

norther practitioner
04-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Thought you might like that... I think I'll keep that one for a while, it was one of the funnier things you've said on this board.

eulerfan
04-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Hey, SD. Where do you study? I studied SD for a couple of years but I had to leave for personal reasons. No problem with the school or anything.

joedoe
04-10-2003, 08:24 PM
I have only seen what was posted on a website once. My honest opinion was that the forms looked pretty average. I can't tell if the movements are the same as from the original styles, but the movement looked terrible. Now I know that it is dependent on who was doing the demos, but the guy doing the demos was supposed to be a very senior instructor.

As for the claimed history and Sin The's claim of 900 forms - doesn't engender too much confidence in me.

African Tiger
04-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Not SD personally, just the "art".

Someone mentioned that it seemed like a McKwoon - that was my first impression. I may have communicated with SD on another forum about this, but I have to say that the "master" at the place I visited was a real a s s. Funny, he slightly resembled the master from the "bad" school in The Karate Kid.

For the curious, this place was called the Chinese Shao-lin Center of Northridge, CA. (Why the dash? Is there a Japanese or German Shaolin Center?)

The master barely looked up at me from his website, he had one of his subordinates load me up with about 30 documents to read, and for goodness sakes, GIs????? How can any self-respecting CMA school allow this to continue, much less allow it at all. And I'm sorry, that crap about "hiding his art from the Japanese by wearing GIs" is...crap!!! :D

I could go on and on about the quality of the class I observed, or how much of an unfriendly jack a s s the other instructor seemed, but I think I've made my point. If Shaolin-Do wants to be respected as an authentic CMA they need to drop the GI's, cut the Japanese karotty school attitude, quit putting coupons into the phone book (that's how I found them), and be open and more friendly to prospective students...that's how Sifu Totten won me over.

Unstoppable
04-10-2003, 10:09 PM
okay Guys Thanks some Good points but I think we NEED to remember that Not All People are aCEESSED to the ORIGINAL chinese TEACJINGS - so Many Were Corrupted by America.

the Others Lost forever? I Hope not!!! LOL

But Even if It's not a 100% accurate from Shaolin at Least is has kung fu ideas and REpresents the Spirit of Kung Fu so I agree with it.

shaolin kungfu
04-10-2003, 11:51 PM
Shaolin Do makes me hurt on the inside.:(

joedoe
04-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
Shaolin Do makes me hurt on the inside.:(

Did one of them hit you? :D

shaolin kungfu
04-11-2003, 12:18 AM
My personal opinion of shaolin do is that it is at best a mix of styles. At worst it is a made up modern style made with limited knowledge of the more respected styles that it copies. It has nothing to do with real shaolin or just about anything it claims to teach.

Just my opinion, naturally.

Joedoe--- I'm pretty sure that being hit by one of these guys would barely tickle, let alone cause internal damage. I could be wrong though.

neit
04-11-2003, 12:32 AM
any organisation that lies is worthless, that how i see it

TjD
04-11-2003, 01:13 AM
all i know is its taken me 4 years to learn wing chuns 3 hand forms, and the wooden dummy. i would not say i have mastered these enough to be able to teach someone them to a deep level of understanding, i'm getting there, but im not there yet. i train hard and practice often. to really know a form takes a lot of hard work and effort. to collect a form takes neither.

my sifu always says "i could teach you all the wing chun forms in 2 weeks, but you wouldnt know anything"

knowing 250 forms worth of motions but not being able to apply any of them seems worthless to me. back to the old (and one of my favorite sayings):
fear not the man who practices 100 punches 10 times, but the man who practices 1 punch 1000 times.

perhaps shaolin-do is kung fu for people with ADD? got bored with that first form in 30 seconds? we got another one for you! since the GM knows 900 forms, we got enough to keep you satisfied for 27000 seconds! (thats like 45 minutes!)

i don't have a very high opinion of shaolin-do, especially if you're taking it to learn how to fight or defend yourself. if you want to learn some acrobatics or flashy forms to show people, ala wushu, its not horrible i guess.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 06:45 AM
lol....
"if someone from shaolin-do hit me it would probably tickle"
Master mullins does one finger board breaking demos at tourneys...
and as for myself... hehehe.
Anyhow, even as a student, Shaolin-Do is kindof a pegwork artform, but if you put as much into it as some of us do, then you will start to get more of a "blackout" if you will, on the pegboard... Sorry... its still early, I havent had my coffee, and thats the best analogy I can offer. ;)
and Joedoe- dont worry about it. Was being a wanker as well.. hadnt had my coffee that morning either... ;) im sure quitting cigs dont help either....

GreyMystik
04-11-2003, 07:09 AM
hey Shaolin-Do, where are you in texas?

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 07:18 AM
I believe the forms done were black tiger claws the heart, and one of the drunken immortals.
I practice in San Antonio.

shaolin kungfu
04-11-2003, 07:19 AM
**cough**

**bullshlt**

Nasty cough you've got there. Hope it's not sars.

Water Dragon
04-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Shaolin Do, I'll be in San An for the first 2 weeks in July. Would you be interested in working out? I'm also planning on moving out there so I'm looking for work. I'm on finance but not too particular about that right now. I'll do pretty much anything just to get down there.

shaolin kungfu
04-11-2003, 07:23 AM
I've never heard of black tiger claws the heart. Not saying it's not real, just I've never heard of or seen it. Any other shaolin guys know of it?

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 07:24 AM
One more thing, apologies for forgetting to address this earlier,
there is enormous emphasis on stance work at our school, and power is generated from the waist for the most part, but as Ive said before, different strokes for different folks, different sifu's run schools differently. I cant speak for the actions and abilities of people you have all watched in the past, the ******* using a broadsword like a katana... ect..... The only thing I can do is take some people to compete in the tourney up in ft. worth.... As for sars.... what exactly does it do to you? (just curious) havent done much reading lately as the war just depresses me. :(

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 07:28 AM
lol gthomason... i know that was smart asses towards me but it was funny anyways. ;)
everytime I read your name i think ghetto mason... maybe its the mild dislexia... ;)
waterdragon - certainly would be more than happy to workout. I have a full gym at my house as a matter of fact... Just pm me to get info... Sorry to say tho, if you dont like SD and want "authentic" kung fu here... The wing chun school here seemed kinda weak... thats all there is else to offer. All the specialty schools are up in austin. (pm, ying jow pai, ect...)

Water Dragon
04-11-2003, 07:48 AM
I'll hit you up later for the info. If you like what I do, I can make some introductions for you. There is some good Gong Fu in San An.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Sounds good. Do you know what styles are to be found here? As for schools...Ive searched high and low, and SD is all ive found really. You said you are headed down in july, yes? ... I think we are doing a demo that month.... Even if not, I can show you some SD to get your opinion on whether or not its gong fu.

txwingchun
04-11-2003, 08:05 AM
SD I might've missed it in the earlier posts, but where in san antonio is there a shaolin do school? I don't remember seeing any. Styles here there's at least 2 WC schools, A Hsing yi instructor and Kali.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 08:08 AM
Its off of Nacogdoches/Thousand oaks. Do you practice at the wing chun school here in town?

txwingchun
04-11-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
Its off of Nacogdoches/Thousand oaks. Do you practice at the wing chun school here in town?
What's the name of the school I'd like to check it out.Yes practice WC here I go to the school on vance jackson.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 08:18 AM
School here..... +
+
-------------------------------------------------
{} +
+
+
+
+

------ = nacogdoches
+ = thousand oaks
{} = kwoon

theres another wing chun school over off vance jackson?
the one I found was up here on the NS somewheres... didnt seem to apealing to me tho.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 08:19 AM
lofl...
that didnt post how it was supposed to.
http://www.swshaolin.com
try that.....
if you were comming from vance jackson, go 410 towards I35,
X perrin beitel, go down about 1/2 block past thousand oaks, its in the shopping center behind randolph brooks bank.

txwingchun
04-11-2003, 08:23 AM
School here..... +
+
-------------------------------------------------
{} +
+
+
+
+

------ = nacogdoches
+ = thousand oaks
{} = kwoon

theres another wing chun school over off vance jackson?
the one I found was up here on the NS somewheres... didnt seem to apealing to me tho.

I just found it http://www.swshaolin.com/san_antonio.html. that might have been will parkers school. My school is small hard to find if you're interested I can get you the info.

Water Dragon
04-11-2003, 08:25 AM
SD

There's Shuai Chiao and Long Fist. My understanding is that the man I'm talking about is also an accomplished Savate player. The emphasis is on San Shou and fighting.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Not really interested in taking wing chun, But Im always looking for new people and styles to spar with. Im in the process of setting up a "fight night" at my house... Only allowing my friends with blackbelts to join in.... (havent started yet because Im in the process of testing how much attitude they all have, dont want someone getting hurt because someone else lost control...) I actually would like to go watch one of your classes however. If youre interested just PM me.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 08:27 AM
no sh!t? theres a longfist school here?

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Youve gone and confused me :(
8 drunken immortal society is in san fransisco... :)

txwingchun
04-11-2003, 08:35 AM
Not really interested in taking wing chun, But Im always looking for new people and styles to spar with. Im in the process of setting up a "fight night" at my house... Only allowing my friends with blackbelts to join in.... (havent started yet because Im in the process of testing how much attitude they all have, dont want someone getting hurt because someone else lost control...) I actually would like to go watch one of your classes however. If youre interested just PM me.

check your PM

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 08:35 AM
but what if im drunk AND immortal? Ill stumble in with an empty whisky bottle for proof! ;)

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 08:49 AM
wish we did wear shoes and wraps :) I hate those ****ed karate Gi's... And I dont know why Tai Chi gets to wear regular frog button uniforms. Maybe they never taught Tai Chi when it was taught in "Japan"... ;)

Ground Dragon
04-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Can't miss a chance to jump on a shaolin do thread (somehow I miss them, seems like they used to be a fixture). I started out in shaolin do, quit and went to study under the system run by Sin The's brother, Hiang The' (which is NOT shaolin do and is not associated at all with them). None of the bs, and everyone was much friendlier. Now I'm doing bjj and judo exclusively (I had crosstrained on and off while studying under Hiang)
I studied under Sin The's senior student, Bill Leonard. When I was there, we were strictly forbidden to train at any other schools. Also we were forbidden to go to any non shaolin do seminars without permission. Not to mention Bill Leonard would often vehemently express his extreme right wing opinions on gun control and abortion. I believe in freedom of speech and all, but leave that outside the school. But that's beside the point. I remember him telling the class once that any blackbelt who left the system should be considered 'dead' (his words not mine) and they weren't to be spoken to. And when anyone would do a takedown in sparring, they had to stop and get back up, he would bark "this isn't wrestling". Uh, ok.
Anyway, there is all kinds of crap that Sin The' lies about, not to mention when he tried to sue a student that had learned from both him and his brother, to try and keep him from teaching the material. That he had the material copyrighted somehow. Obviously, the case was dismissed. Hiang matched Sin's note for note on the material in court, and had notes for things Sin didn't, including such rudimentary things as the green belt short stick form. Oh yeah, tai peng sin kune is only the first part of a three part form, but
Sin doesn't know the rest so only the first part is taught. But yet, he does have 900 forms, right?.
But Sin's lies don't stop at the 900 forms (the # of forms being claimed has gone up over the years by the way), but his rank (tested only to 5th degree), the structure of the school in Indonesia (it was not called shaolin do, that is an invention of Sin, it was called the Central Shaolin Academy or something to that effect), the fact his teacher was his grandfather, when his grandfather died, etc etc.
My biggest question has always been, if you know at least parts of what Sin The' is saying isn't true (I've seen more and more people admit to it, including blackbelts) why do you stay? There are so many schools out there that teach stuff that is just as good or probably even better. How can anyone stay with an instructor they know is lying? If he's lying about one thing, what else is he lying about? Just a curious thought. I really don't have a dog in the fight anymore and could care less. Still, the naiveté and general attitude of shaolin-do people still amuse me to no end.

eulerfan
04-11-2003, 08:55 AM
You know what? My boyfriend has studied for seven years. He's done Wing Chun, Long Fist, and Crane. I need to go back to the SD class and give a shout out to my peeps. I can't really go back fully but I miss everybody and want to say hi. And I still have my membership.

I'll bring my man to a class with me. Sifu wouldn't change anything for him. He doesn't really need to recruit students. So it'll be a regular old class. And I'll let you know what his impressions are.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 09:03 AM
As Ive said before, different shaolindo schools are ran differently... the Sifu here in town really is an Excellent teacher... In fact, no matter how amazing another kung fu school here is, Id probably stay just because of how much I enjoy kung fu under this sifu. When I said to him yesterday that I planned to go compete in Ft. Worth, he just smiled. We had a black belt go train at another school for a year, came back and was openly accepted...

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 09:05 AM
hehe... Eulerfan - You an San antonio Kung Fuer?
lol... naked shaolin do... I think its called Kama Sutra... :)

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 09:06 AM
err... Kama Sutra-Do. ;)

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 09:24 AM
Er... Not sure. Ill Probably do 14th white crane, Green Dragon Broadsword, and san shou fighting. The San Shou is full contact yes? even face?

Water Dragon
04-11-2003, 09:26 AM
If you're going to be at the Taiji Legacy, look for John Wang's group. I think he will be doing a Shuai Chiao seminar there as well as San Shou and jacket wrestling.

Radhnoti
04-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Well...whenever Grounddragon gets into the act, I too must join the party. BTW, GD it's good to hear something outta you, you been hiding on JMA boards exclusively now or somethin'? :D

I've recently heard a few of Senior Master Leonard's reasons for not wanting to mix styles. Apparently, a pretty big player in the aikido scene came and learned a few staff forms from SM Leonard, soon after quitting and announcing to his students that he'd been to China and picked up some new things to show them.
Not the first time he's been burned like that, and I guess he just got tired of it. My instructor actually has been known to plan seminars with instructors from other styles, wanting us to get as many different stylistic viewpoints as possible.

eulerfan
04-11-2003, 09:55 AM
ghth,

we've actually done naked conditioning. It wasn't as sexy as I thought it would be. Dude does crunched starting from half-way up then to all the way up and back to halfway up. Push ups on the backs of his hands. Took all the fun out of being naked, having to do that sh!t. Perhaps forms would be better.;)

SD,

I'm in Houston. Is your sifu that blond guy, had a beard or maybe it was a goatee? Did he compete in Round Rock the fall before last and win with his drunken kata? 'Cuz, if so, that guy is QUITE an athlete. It was the only thing at that tournament that really impressed me and, I mean, my jaw was on the floor.

Well, not the only thing. That dude who broke a short piece of wood on his adam's apple was pretty hard core, too. I think. That can't be easy.

eulerfan
04-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by ghthomason

That's bad naked.

That's what I'm saying.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 10:06 AM
His hair is kinda dirty blonde, Im pretty sure that is who you are talking about. Drunken boxing is his favorite thing to do... Ive heard about how the other schools are ran and it apalls me... Our school is most definately not ran how Ive heard of most other SD going...

Ground Dragon
04-11-2003, 10:11 AM
Nah Rad, I still visit here some. 99% of the time though I just browse and try to pick up something either helpful or entertaining. I do scan other boards though, from jma to mixed martial arts.

eulerfan
04-11-2003, 10:39 AM
His hair is kinda dirty blonde, Im pretty sure that is who you are talking about. Drunken boxing is his favorite thing to do... Ive heard about how the other schools are ran and it apalls me... Our school is most definately not ran how Ive heard of most other SD going...

I don't know how any other schools are run. Ours is taught twice a week from a YMCA. It's sort of loose. Sifu is big on making the art your own. Finding stuff that works for you and experimenting. He even gives us assignments to find applications for moves in forms, we bring them in then everybody discusses them and we try them out, fine tune it, make it work for THAT application.

Everybody there, including sifu, is just there after work. He's open to changes, admits that he's still figuring out the best way to teach the class, he asks for suggestions often, tries to find out what we think is working and what isn't. So I couldn't tell you specifics on how it's run. It's just always adapting and changing.

So, I would say that ours is more of a community, with a community leader, than a class.

cho
04-11-2003, 02:33 PM
take mine with a grain of salt:

my experience with SD is based on TWO students I sparred with, not much by any means.

They were only beginners with maybe a year of experience. Both seemed to rely on natural instincts whenever I prevented them from doing one of their techniques, but again they were beginners.
One of them, though, was pulling all of this animal **** , saying "I'll fly over you" then did this 'crane hop'. Thinking he was delusional, I stepped out of the way, then he thought he employed it successfully. Every punch toward his face I pulled a bit, but he would make like he could have stopped them.
-oh yeah, this was in high school, so pride was running high-
I also remember him saying Sin The could beat down Mike Tyson.
The other guy was all right, and sincerely wanted to learn martial arts, and wasn't to crazy about 'we have it all' like the other guy.

about its credibility, doesn't the name Shaolin-Do just bug the hell out of you? they should just change it to chuan or tao.

dezhen2001
04-11-2003, 02:35 PM
eulerfan: hope you are enjoying your new training and things - i remember the threads on finding you a new sifu a while ago :)

dawood

The Willow Sword
04-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Mmmmmusst ......not............resssssponnnd to oooo thiss.....threeaddd. Mussst:confused: reeesiiissssssst.....
muussstttt resissssttt. errrrrrrrrrghhhh.:o

herb ox
04-11-2003, 07:23 PM
Okay, okay....
I don't really acknowledge all the **** about Shaolin-Do being close to the monk's art and such... however I will say this:

Naming your system "Shaolin-Do" acknowledges the philisophical roots of most Asian martial arts. I appreciate that. However, using the good name of Shaolin and concocting a bunch of BS to make one's self look more impressive and to effectively "market" the school misses the point of traditional arts.

The hollow drum beats the loudest....

However, I will also add this to the fire:
just about anything if practiced earnestly and with regularity can become a true master's art. Therefore, I cannot rightfully dis the students practice. The master of 900 forms on the other hand...:rolleyes:

Radhnoti
04-13-2003, 04:02 PM
Actually, there is a school/section of the country going by "Shaolin-Tao". They wear the traditional outfits too.
I had heard that when the fellow teaching it asked if he could do it GM Sin was like: "Well...I suppose you could, but it wouldn't make me happy..." -Note, this is usually all it takes.
The instructor was already on his way out the door..."Gee, thanks grand master Sin! See ya later!!"
:)

It's created quite the stir among the SD rank and file "traditionalists". heh

Ground Dragon
04-14-2003, 05:37 AM
Yep, there is (or was anyway) a huge rift between the SDA and the schools under the Soards. I had been told they add things to forms, like entire sections, to make them flashier. And the whole thing about the tablet at the Shaolin temple ****ed off the SDA too, from what I understand. I think they tried to reconcile things, but I would imagine it's largely superficial. I think it says a lot that the pictures of the Soards still aren't up on the SDA site, but who knows. Other schools even in the SDA are using the traditional Chinese uniforms, and using more traditional Chinese terms such as kung fu, sash instead of belt, form instead of kata etc. Like was said before, they wore gis back in Indonesia, except for the teachers. I imagine it was for rather innocent purposes because who would they really be fooling if the instructors were in traditional garb while the students wore gis and belts? Not sure why anyone would worry too much about it now, but it appears some do.

eulerfan
04-14-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
eulerfan: hope you are enjoying your new training and things - i remember the threads on finding you a new sifu a while ago :)

dawood

Yeah, I found one school KC was familiar with and he said that sifu was the shznit. But, I have to wait for my membership at the other gym to end.

However, soon after finding that school, I met and fell in love with a guy. We met at something completely unrelated to kung-fu. But he's a maist and trains at that very school. So, I do believe that I will end up there.

Funny how things work out.

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Lol... and the SDers slowly make their way out of the woodwork...
;)
As for the class being ran more like a community, thats how it is here too... I view the kwoon as a big family... Everyone there is very friendly, granted the few hotheads that everyone has.... Our sifu tends to do the same thing, leaving applications to figure on our own here or there, or testing us to come up with new ones... :)

shaolin kungfu
04-14-2003, 11:07 AM
For all the sh1t that can be said about Shaolin-Do, it's still not as bad as NAMAT.

Kuen
04-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Sin The' can swim with his chest muscles. 'Nuff said.

KC Elbows
04-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Sin The can shuffle a deck of cards with his traps. Nuff said.

eulerfan
04-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Lol... and the SDers slowly make their way out of the woodwork...
;)
As for the class being ran more like a community, thats how it is here too... I view the kwoon as a big family... Everyone there is very friendly, granted the few hotheads that everyone has.... Our sifu tends to do the same thing, leaving applications to figure on our own here or there, or testing us to come up with new ones... :)

Yeah, it's nice like that, isn't it? I noticed at the tourney that that feeling of community extends to other schools, as well. For people who aren't training two or three hours a day or trying to be the best of the best, people who want something that will help them be a better person but still have families and jobs and such, it's really nice.

I imagine this is Sifu Joe's doing. We all have an open invitation to train at his school if we're ever in Austin for vacation or what have you. I think he's fostered that in his students and they bring it to their new schools. Like, the most important thing is not the art, it's the people doing the art. He's a good guy.

I've been off this board for a while. Didn't come back until last week. Sorry if you felt like the only one for a while. You seem to have the same attitude about it as I do. I've had people here telling me how it's not *real* kung-fu.

I say, "Okay, but, this is what I pay and this is what I get from it. I think it's a good deal and well worth it. *Real* kung-fu or not."

"But it's not real kung-fu."

"That's okay. I don't mind."

"Oh, and another *fake* think about SD...."

"Okay, I think this is your issue."

But most people here are of the mindset, "Hey, if you like it and you are actually training reasonbly hard that's all there is to it. Go get em."

eulerfan
04-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
Sin The can shuffle a deck of cards with his traps. Nuff said.

I've heard that he can set a broken leg with his nostril.;)

shaolin kungfu
04-14-2003, 12:02 PM
I heard he can lift heavy weights with his wang! Oh, wait, that's master Tu.

shaolin kungfu
04-14-2003, 12:23 PM
I heard he claimed to be them one and only holder of ancient knowledge from shaolin.

KC Elbows
04-14-2003, 12:24 PM
I heard that he can lay a tile floor with nothing more than his ulula and his glottis. 'Nuff said.

shaolin kungfu
04-14-2003, 12:33 PM
I heard that, this one time, at band camp....

This is going a little too far.

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
lol...
Nah... didnt care that I was "only one"
I already knew there were a few on here...
I came on with the name Shaolin-Do intentionally... People on the JKD forum told me people here would try to tell me its kempo. :)
I dont care. I know its kung fu. this is just the internet, where a 95 lb pimple faced 13 year old can be the 195 lb 6' man hes always wanted to be, just with a click of the mouse and a few strokes of the keys. I can dismiss things just as fast as I read them. If you dont believe me, just read the pot and kung fu thread. ;p

shaolin kungfu
04-14-2003, 01:12 PM
this is just the internet, where a 95 lb pimple faced 13 year old can be the 195 lb 6' man hes always wanted to be, just with a click of the mouse and a few strokes of the keys

Oh no! He's discovered my true identity!

I'll have to switch names. How's shaolin-don't sound?

Water Dragon
04-14-2003, 01:17 PM
But what about the hairy guy?

eulerfan
04-14-2003, 01:18 PM
lol...
I know its kung fu. ;p

I don't. Can't pretend I know how to define what is and what isn't kung-fu. I just thought it was funny that somebody would continue trying to argue with me about whether or not it was kung-fu after I said it wouldnt' bother me if it wasn't.

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Blah. Even if it isnt, then its a **** fine imitation.
Like shopping on the bottom shelf for bargain cereals?

shaolin kungfu
04-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Like shopping on the bottom shelf for bargain cereals?

No I don't like shopping on the bottom shelf for that cheap crap. The real cereal tastes much better.

Edit: Saying that shaolin do is a bargain is laughable.

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 03:29 PM
That quote was meant to be sarcastic... :p

Sin The'
04-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Yes, I can swim with my pectorals. Just read my book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0787212423/qid=1050428642/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-0272754-6784742?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) and it will explain that during my training my hands and feet were bound and I was cast into the ocean to either sink or swim. Using my large, firm pectorals I was able to swim-merely by vibrating my huge muscles.

You laugh because you are intimidated and know you are nothing compared to me.

shaolin kungfu
04-15-2003, 10:56 AM
I heard sin the' was a four year old child with no legs.

shaolin kungfu
04-15-2003, 11:10 AM
I heard sin the's ****s are used to proppel(sp) rockets.

Edit: the blurred word is F A R T