PDA

View Full Version : what are your weaknesses

davethedragon
04-11-2003, 07:19 AM
does anybody in this forum have any?
are there any aspects of your training that you feel need improvement?
if you have recognised weaknesses in your training in the past what did you do to rectify them and what were the results.
just curious!:D

Crimson Phoenix
04-11-2003, 07:27 AM
of course I have some...but as a warrior I won't even give you a hint about what they could be :D

Robinf
04-11-2003, 07:27 AM
I had and still have many weaknesses, though I now have fewer than before.

One was a pitiful horse stance. I have since been steadily weight training (for about two years) and my horse stance is much lower, more stable and I can hold it longer.

Actually, a lot of my weaknesses have been rectified with weight training.

I'm now working on sparring. Not so much the winning aspect, but using actual techniques. Not as easy as I thought, but I'm coming along. I also study TKD, and that creeps into my kung fu sparring, unfortunately (I've been studying TKD longer). I just need more practice.

guohuen
04-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Chocolate, red hair, good perfume.

Guile
04-11-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by guohuen
Chocolate, red hair, good perfume.
Those are definitly hard to resist!:D

Robinf
04-11-2003, 08:47 AM
What about beautiful raven hair?

eulerfan
04-11-2003, 08:51 AM
My biggest problem remains fear.

That's just a hard one.

Oso
04-11-2003, 09:07 AM
a tendancy to use my size too much.

tunnel vision

red hair has always been a weakness of mine since 5th grade and an auburn haired cutie in a catholic school dress by the name of Michelle. :) :) :)

chocalate is an essential part of the vegetable group. So is gin.

Obsession as well as something I think is called Fendi both smell pretty good on the right woman.

guohuen
04-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Raven hair is fabulous. (What's that? Oh nothing Honey! Just typing online about Martial Arts.)

Chang Style Novice
04-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Weed. women, whiskey.

You know, the usual.

KC Elbows
04-11-2003, 09:52 AM
My enormous cojones. And raven hair. Chocolate. Weed. Trance sort of music. Did I mention internet forums?

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Good to know im not the only stoner practicing martial arts :)
Err...32"/26"/34"?
:)
Blonde hair
blue/green eyes... Most good looking women I meet already smell nice too... mmmmm..... *droolslobberslobberdrool*

eulerfan
04-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
Good to know im not the only stoner practicing martial arts :)

Dude, from what I've seen here, you're not even a minority.

Chang Style Novice
04-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Heh - when I started doing taiji, and I told my gf of the time that the teacher was also an herbal medicine practitioner she immediately asked "Okay, now when you say 'herbal' do you mean...?"

SevenStar
04-11-2003, 10:57 AM
weaknesses? you puny mortals...

Chang Style Novice
04-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Idly fingers kryptonite pinky ring.

Shaolin-Do
04-11-2003, 10:59 AM
and its even better to see that Im part of a *majority*?
:)
hmmm..... Idea for a new thread.

FatherDog
04-11-2003, 11:06 AM
In general: My striking is weak. I train grappling almost exclusively, so this is no surprise. I'm starting boxing classes when I feel my body's recovered enough from my current injury to take the strain of that and wrestling classes.

In grappling: I'm not aggressive enough. I have good positioning and good balance, and I'm very hard to submit, but I have a tendency to fight defensively and not go after hooks enough. It's something I need to work on.

Guile
04-11-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Robinf
What about beautiful raven hair?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Guile
04-11-2003, 11:38 AM
After a Sonic Kick, I dont land on my feet.
:eek:
More like sonic kick, ouch.

Black Jack
04-11-2003, 11:58 AM
I am vulnerable to silver and wolfs bane.

Oh....that and lipstick lesbians.

CrippledAvenger
04-11-2003, 02:10 PM
I'm allergic to bullets.

No_Know
04-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Robinf, long like yours or short might be something.

greendragon
04-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Glasses. takes a crucial second to adjust when they are removed, don't wanna get hit with 'em on.
Another weakness is getting hit in the head makes me weaker like it drains my battery and it's hard to hold arms up in guard. I usually remedy by going to ground fighting. Of course my teachers say "just don't get hit" but sometimes multiple attackers can get one in with a distraction.
The only other other weakness i can think of is acting without thinking and over confidence.
Parable of the blind swordsman: A Samurai swordsman was eating rice in a roadhouse, (killing an occasional fly with his chopstick). An inebriated drunk staggered over and challenged him. "you're no big deal,etc". Of course, as a matter of honor, the Samurai accepted. By the time of the duel the drunk was sobering up and realized what he had got himself into. So as the contest began, he thought for sure he was going to die but may as well go out with honor. So he just put his hand over his eyes and blindly lunged with the blade, believing it to be his last act. But to his surprise he killed the Samurai.

SifuAbel
04-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Chocolate

ZIM
04-11-2003, 06:50 PM
Allergies to PAIN. I break out in hives, man. Or welts, take yer pick.

And I don't know if it counts or anything, but i get this red rash thing going on around my ankles when i do the dishes....
:p

Ok, seriously, tho- crappy tactical sense, IMO... This has improved in significant ways since taking MAs up, also IMO.

Shuul Vis
04-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Man my weakness is the worst. I feel sorry for everyone, even the people that try to hit me. I have had alot of people straight up attack me on the street and i couldnt get angry enough to hit them back. Id just kinda toss em away and wait till they move in again. I could have saved myself and my friends alot of psychological damage if i had the nerve to just blast some of those punks. oh well.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-11-2003, 10:14 PM
"I could have saved myself and my friends alot of psychological damage"

yeah ... look at the way i turned out.

Shuul Vis
04-11-2003, 10:55 PM
niether one of us ever attacked them back. we just threw them away. why man, why didnt we put those guys down?

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-11-2003, 11:07 PM
makin to big deal out of a little thing man. they weren't a threat .... 99% of it was **** talking and shoulder blocking in school. they were same ones that got their asses beat every weakend. two or three times that one little punk came at you, and you could have beat the sh it out of him, but you tossed him on the ground and humiliated him in front of his friends. not really that bad of a thing. all their **** talking after that was under their breath ... even when 3 of us walked up in the middle of 15 of them to get our friends sh it back. i think you worry too much.

if you want to look any deeper maybe we were afraid of going all out, getting hit, and not blasting them away with spin kicks and blinding fast perfectly executed combinations. would have had to lose the dream a lot sooner than we wanted to. :)

Shuul Vis
04-11-2003, 11:58 PM
"if you want to look any deeper maybe we were afraid of going all out, getting hit, and not blasting them away with spin kicks and blinding fast perfectly executed combinations. would have had to lose the dream a lot sooner than we wanted to."

i think unconsciously this was a factor. didnt want to lose the dream. that dream has kept me able to do some amazing things..

GreyFox81
04-14-2003, 03:56 AM
i have a few normal weaknesses like my kicks could be faster
and my stamina longer but it has been a few times where my girl would be watchin me in class and i become a monster and nothing could stop me and for some reason people say that i fght alot better when it's two on one rather than one on one

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 07:42 AM
Of course you fight better 2 on one :) it pushes you harder. As for your being a monster when your girlfriend is there, that will always happen. Whether you want to or not, if shes watching, you'll have the "I cant lose" mind frame, subliminally or otherwise. Personally, my kicks could use some work. :) Being legally blind sucks too... adds a whole nother dimension to sparring. Just have to watch for fast moving blobs of colors different than the walls or floors... :)

LEGEND
04-14-2003, 07:44 AM
My standup fighting sucks. Need to go BAS on peeps...end up looking like ROYCE running for cover instead.

norther practitioner
04-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Stamina and ground fighting. Need to get more lungs, and learn how to roll better.

shaolin kungfu
04-14-2003, 09:40 AM
Definitely ground fighting, but thanks to some wrestler freinds that's getting better.

Sho
04-14-2003, 01:07 PM
My grappling skills are far worse than my stand-up skills, so I'm hoping to be able to train more grappling at some point. However, my main emphasis is still on stand-up fighting so I won't be specializing in ground work.

One of the problems with grappling (in my case) is that you need a partner to train with and the best way to train with different partners is to join a school, but I am not able to do that at the moment. So, I'll do it when I get the chance.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-14-2003, 01:37 PM
yeah ground work. my strikes are impressive for my size even right after chemo, but i have no idea what the hell im doing on the floor.

started training grappeling with shuul's little brother and two of his buddies last night though. just learned a reversal from a guilatine where both people are on all fours facing eachother and another arm bar so far, but it's a start. oh, and shuul's little brother is about 6'3'' 270lbs so whatever i manage to make work on him ill definatley have mastered.