PDA

View Full Version : What styles should I study

VactsRachet
04-12-2003, 12:19 AM
I am a newbie to this site but I am not a newbie to fighting. In my life I have been in rather a few fights, most of the time on the receiving end. During my younger years I studies Karate until i reached yellow belt black tip...this study didnt help that much other than teach me how to kick and punch straight.

Lately i have started training myself with kickboxing, against a punching bag, I know this is a bad idea because it lowers your defensive in fighting

The other day I went against somebody taller and bigger than me, and whenever i threw a punch i ended up with one in the face, he got 3 in total on me until i took him to the ground where it was discovered thats where his weakness was.

I was just wondering what styles would be good with somebody that has had the training background like i have, also i need some useful strategies for beating opponents before i get into the style of my chosen art, so give me some feedback please

StarBoy
04-12-2003, 05:31 AM
Just curious, how do you end up getting into so many fights? I live in a pretty rough area (shootings/stabbings are relatively common), and I've still managed to avoid fights pretty well since the 7th grade.

PHILBERT
04-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Well for grappling (taking to the ground) you'd want like Vale Tudo, Judo or Brazilian JuJutsu (the last one being one of the most common and detailed grappling arts). The only downer about BJJ and other grappling arts is some schools don't teach how to handle 2 or more opponents at a single time so if that guy has a buddy you better finish him off fast.

But as far as overall, you just gotta look at what you got in your area, visit some classes and see what they have to offer. I'd avoid Tae Kwon Do though if I were you. Also ignore some of the sugar coating they give you (alot of teachers will sugar coat there art to make it appear better at first to get you to join). Don't expect to become some fighting genius in a matter of a couple classes either. Also, before you take a visit, look into the art. When was it created, who created it, what is the art focus on, etc. Ask questions, do they spar? Light or heavy contact? Is there ground fighting? Joint locks? Throws? Is it nothing but forms and no application?

Remember, there is no one universal art. Only you can decide what is good for you.

VactsRachet
04-12-2003, 06:48 PM
i have decided to begin my training with shaolin kung fu, there is a place that teaches brizilian juijitsu in my area but i decided on kung fu

and i know it takes many years of study to even begin to become a great fighter...these years i am willing to spend learning

and to answer starboys question, i get in fights because i cant keep my mouth shut and i am working on that problem

PHILBERT
04-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Few things I recommend:

1.) Practice. Take what you learn in class and practice outside. Most people think attending 2 or 3 classes a week will make them fighting geniuses in a matter of a few months. It won't. Though if you practice outside of class you become better, faster.

2.) Never skip a class. Attend whenever you can, that class might set something off in your brain that *Boom!* makes you learn alot of new, useful information, but only YOU learn it, so no one in the next class can say "Oh you missed this, it was GREAT!" and it may be months before you learn what you missed.

3.) Practice.

scotty1
04-12-2003, 11:51 PM
Listen to Philbert.

WinterPalm
04-13-2003, 12:29 AM
I'd say you need to take that guy on again and mess him up!
Get a gun, or get a sharp knife,

mOBSCENE.

and cut him up!
Man, he ****ed you up and that's a disgrace!
Kill him!
Train to smash people into powder from a death touch fist blast!!!!!

:D :D :D

;)

:rolleyes:

StarBoy
04-13-2003, 06:03 AM
and to answer starboys question, i get in fights because i cant keep my mouth shut and i am working on that problem

How are you working on it? Maybe you should work on that before studying martial arts. There just seems to be something wrong with picking a fight and then using MA to kick someone's ass. Here's a better idea. Don't learn MA. Instead, just keep getting your ass beat. Eventually, you'll learn to watch your mouth.

I'm sure someone would make the argument that MA training might teach you how to keep yourself in check. But I don't think that will work in this situation, considering you're going into this with the attitude of wanting to learn how to kick ass rather than learning how to control yourself.

Seriously, (I'm speaking from experience) one of these days someone is going to gut you, or shoot you, in which case no MA will help you there.

VactsRachet
04-13-2003, 04:59 PM
i am joining martial arts to develop a way to stop my mouth shooting off, I downloaded a few aikido manuals the other day teaching how to avoid fights, but their are many people that will not give up until they **** you up, that is why i want to learn martial arts. Defending myself is a priority and i would appreciate it if you didnt start badmouthing me when you dont even know me

and I won the fight the other day, i took him to the ground and gave him an elbow to the jaw.

StarBoy
04-13-2003, 08:15 PM
I'm not badmouthing you. You said yourself that it's your mouth that gets you into trouble. You're not defending yourself, you're merely trying to finish fights that you start. MA isn't going to help you with your mouth. You can't depend on something or someone else for that. You have to take responsibility for your own mouth. Maybe if you actually stop and think for a second before you open it, you wouldn't get into so much trouble.

The best defense is not to offend, and so on...

Laughing Cow
04-13-2003, 08:26 PM
VactsRachet.

Listen to starboy.

Studying MA won't keep your mouth shut, IMO, it might only add to your ego and the end-result will be more fights that you are in.

OTOH, good and correct MA practice should not give you enough time to shoot your mouth off as you will be training most of the time and too tired and sore to want to fight.
;)

Another good idea to avoid the places where you normally get into fights and hang out quiet and relaxed places.

Generally avoid any places that has:
1.) Loud music
2.) Pool or Billard Tables
3.) Booze
4.) Many guys whose muscles are bigger than their brains
5.) Any combination of the above.

Let your head guide your lifes-choices not your mouth or your fists.

StarBoy
04-14-2003, 04:41 AM
And if you want to do an activity to help develop some kind of internal balance, do something non-combatitive. Maybe yoga would help, perhaps ballet.

Don't give me that, "people are just looking to **** you up" line. The only person you're lying to is yourself. It is almost always possible to avoid a fight. Furthermore, studying MA will only get you into more fights for another reason. Once people know you study MA, they're more prone to attempt to instigate a fight, especially if you're in a pub or poolhall. You really need to keep your mouth from going off and learn to talk your way out of those situations, before learning how to fight better.

You're really not going about this the right way. Though, I know you're not going to listen. It's obvious that you're just looking for more trouble. :rolleyes:

Kempo Guy
04-14-2003, 08:48 AM
I completely agree with Starboy!

Someone once said: " The best way to avoid a fight is by not being there".

I think what's required is some self-discipline and self-containment on your part. Flapping your mouth off will only get you in more trouble. It's not worth it bro. Learn how to communicate better, and avoid places and situations where you know trouble lurks.

Just my 2 cents.

KG

Shaolin-Do
04-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Yes. Just calm down and visit my opium house.