PDA

View Full Version : can you learn kung fu from karate, kempo, etc???

monkeymind
07-04-2001, 09:00 PM
i have run across a number of "kung fu" schools which initially teach karate, kempo, etc, and then move to kung fu when the student becomes more advanced.

QUESTIONS: if someone's goal is to learn kung fu, is it wise to begin learning those other systems first? will "bad" (aka: different) habits be learned that will impede training in kung fu?

by the wasy, i ask these questions only because i am curious. i am not looking for a new school or anything like that. thanks in advance for your input.

Shaolindynasty
07-04-2001, 11:56 PM
No you can't learn kungfu from karate. Yes you WILL develop bad habits(for CMA).

Witness the Dynasty!!!
New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

HuangKaiVun
07-05-2001, 04:30 AM
The manner of power projection and combat mentality is different even within kung fu divisions of the same style.

LeiWulong
07-26-2001, 03:42 PM
you can learn something from everything. You won't actually learn Kung Fu, no. But you can still learn many good techniques and moves from karate without developing bad habits, that is if you stay true to the basic gong fu principles and idealisms dealing with not only combat, but state of mind.

UberShaman
07-26-2001, 04:59 PM
No you cant, and you can usually spot the guys that learned that way. They never seem to get the flow down. Practice makes permanent.

Dark Knight
07-26-2001, 07:16 PM
I have seen this before in a couple Kung fu schools. It depends on the person, I saw some that adapted to the Kung Fu effectivly and some that didnt. The advantage is that the Karate is a harder style that can be used for street fighting quickly and effectivly. it also gives the students different methods of fighting that may be more effective for them. (There is no one style that fits all) Some people have a hard time adapting to a soft style after a hard style.

As a simpler example, I have seen TKD guys change to a close in style and have the hardest time adapting.