PDA

View Full Version : zits in the nose??

sticky fingers
04-13-2003, 08:39 AM
I occasionally get what feels to be pimples or boils in my nose. They never come to a head but are painful to touch and usually go away after a few days. They can't be seen and can't even be felt as a lump or anything.
I'm 28 and haven't had pimples since I was a teenager but these zits in my nose are very annoying and sometimes embarassing when a light tap during kung fu has me doubled over in pain with tears in my eyes.
I suffer from hayfever and use a steroid nasal spray very occasionally.

Anyone else have the same problem and how to deal with it?

No_Know
04-13-2003, 08:59 AM
Press the corner outside the nose near the wall. Push in and slide the skinin place up to pressure the dead lymph through. Is what I prefer and what I think it is.

Clearing that clears other stuff. Good to do for my health, my say.

Similar for on the nose. Press and clears.

IronFist
04-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by sticky fingers
steroid nasal spray

Whoa! What's this? :D :confused: :D

IronFist

fa_jing
04-13-2003, 03:58 PM
I'm going to put on the zit cremes out of business: wash with Betadine Surgical Scrub. Usually you have to order it, but it's non-perscription foamy version of that brown sh!t they wipe on you before an operation. It won't hurt you, I use it all the time, and it's cheap, unlike Betadine solution which I do not recommend. I went from zitty to nothing fast. Some common knowledge from my wife's country...

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 06:55 AM
ouch, in nose pimples?
sounds troublesome. As for those painful non-pimple things, I get them on occasion. Dont know what to do, just usually let them work their way out.
As for the "pain is our friend", reminds me of a quote on some Marine dude's coffee mug....
"Pain is weakness leaving the body"
hehe... Gave me a good chuckle... :)

rubthebuddha
04-14-2003, 09:38 AM
was nice to see a thread on zits in the nose started by sticky fingers. :D

now, in all seriousness, that could actually be your problem. picking out the occasional booger isn't a bad thing, but aside from proper timing (not during a date) make sure you don't stick your fingers up your nose without having clean hands. the last thing your nostrils need is the grease from a bucket of KFC.

IronFist
04-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Dude, I'm serious. What's steroid nasal spray?

IronFist

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 01:52 PM
It causes you to have rippling nostril muscles, capable of crushing wall nuts.

TenTigers
04-14-2003, 04:28 PM
ok, this is weird for a kung-fu site, but....did you ever pluck out nose hairs? Even if you use those little sicissors, they still end up pulling out hairs. anyway, they will sometimes develop zits on the inside=probably from ingrown hairs, not really sure. Anyway, if you haven't , then you probably have a shrub hanging out of your nostrils by now. Hey, it's maintenance. I can't wait till I start gettin hairs growin out of my ears! (Things to look foward to in your old age)we lose hair where we want it and grow hair where we don't want it!

prana
04-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

IronFist

For people with nasal allergies or sinusitus. It helps relieve the allergies, aches and pains...

prana
04-14-2003, 07:22 PM
hmmm some ppl have more oil released in their nose than in their skin. Have you ever tried rinsing the nose with luke warm salt water ?

joedoe
04-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

IronFist

There are severl steroid based nasal sprays available, but they are not anabolic steroids. As prana said, they help to reduce inflammation in the nasal tissues due to allergies, sinusitis etc. I once asked my doc about them and basically they are supposed to be a hormone the body normally produces anyway, but people with allergies and sinus problems sometimes don't produce enough of it.

Cheese Dog
04-14-2003, 10:27 PM
It's a CATABOLIC steriod, not anabolic! You wouldn't want it, won't help you grow muscle.

sticky fingers
04-15-2003, 11:32 AM
thanks for the replies

I think mine are stress related, some ppl get cold sores or pimples on their face when they are stressed, I get them in my nose...

guohuen, I don't fancy walking around with a purple nose for 2 days!! I do get nosehair pimples sometimes but I also get ones that are 'in' my nose, in the fleshy part but they never surface. So I don't know if any washes or paints can help with those.

Ironfist - I can nose-press 300lbs! just kidding. I meant corticosteroids which are anti-inflammatory eg cortisone and prednisolone. They are found in many drugs, from asthma puffers to skin creams for psoriasis. Anabolic steroids on the other hand...well you probably already know.

PLCrane
04-15-2003, 07:35 PM
I used to think I got pimples inside my nose, but I'm pretty sure it's cold sores (aka herpes simplex.) Your steroid nasal spray might be depressing the cellular immunity in your nose and allowing the latent virus to become active. Stress can do that, too. Lay off the spray and/or try some acyclovir. And it might be a good idea not to go down on your girlfriend when you've got one of these.

Talk to your doc.

PLC

IronFist
04-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Cheese Dog
It's a CATABOLIC steriod, not anabolic! You wouldn't want it, won't help you grow muscle.

Wtf is a "catabolic steroid"? Are you talking about estrogen?

Originally posted by sticky fingers
I meant corticosteroids which are anti-inflammatory eg cortisone and prednisolone.

Oh :)

IronFist

joedoe
04-16-2003, 04:23 PM
Fromw hat I understand, catabolic steriods have the opposite effect to anabolic steroids. The net result is that they reduce muscle tissue.

IronFist
04-16-2003, 06:59 PM
Well, I assumed that from the name. I've just never heard of steroids that are catabolic.

Although, now that I think about it... I've heard steroids referred to as "anabolic steroids" which may imply that there is another kind...

Hmmm.

IronFist

joedoe
04-16-2003, 09:40 PM
As you know, steroids are basically hormones. Different hormones have different functions, so it stands to reason that there are steroids with different uses.

Cheese Dog
04-16-2003, 10:37 PM
Your body normally maintains a delicate balancing act between anabolic hormones, such as testosterone, growth hormone, and insulin, and catabolic hormones like prednisone and cortisone. One reason artificial hormones, like anabolic steriods, can be bad for you is they can upset that balance. Your body has to control the anabolic (building up) versus the catabolic (breaking down).

Science minute is now over! :D

Shaolin-Do
04-17-2003, 01:28 PM
I know my inhalor has catabolic steroids in it :)
(got reaaaallly bad athsma, opens up your lungs hella faster)
Till all my friends try to get hopped up on it and then I dont have health insurance so now I dont have an inhalor sh!t sh!t sh!t.... :(

sticky fingers
04-18-2003, 08:39 AM
'Steroid' is just a particular molecular structure on which many of the body's hormones are based on. From the basic steroidal molecule, bits and pieces are added or removed to make the different hormones - anabolic and catabolic. Even female sex hormones are 'steroids'. However, in layman terms 'steroids' mean the anabolic type as you know.

Kind of like the word 'alcohol'. We all know it as the reason fat chicks can get laid, but alcohol basically means any molecule with a -OH attached. Glycerine, propylene glycol (in antifreeze) are both alcohols. The proper term for the stuff in your favourite brew is 'ethanol'.

PLCrane- I have ruled out herpes, the zits I get don't last as long as a usual cold sore, which I never get anyway. I use the nasal spray only about once a week when necessary so I don't think that is enough to supress my immune system.