PDA

View Full Version : Woke up with painfull muscle pull/Have you

Black Jack
04-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Ever wake up with a serious pulled muscle. I woke up on Saturday with a massive and very painfull pulled neck/upper back. Hurts to raise my arms over my head.

It caused me to just sit and watch at a traditional Gayong Silat class I was going to take part of off. Which turned out to be just excellent. Plus I had to miss Arnis today.

The point is my neck/upper back are still pulled/same level of pain today. Anybody ever wake up all f@cked up like this and how long does it take to go back to normal?

David Jamieson
04-13-2003, 11:25 AM
blackjack-

sometimes you experience this from a cold in the muscle.

I have experienced this and found that total relief can be had in a short amount of time vis a vis Tui Na massage method.

If there is anyone who knows this method near you I would see them straight away.

It works!

cheers

Black Jack
04-13-2003, 11:59 AM
I don't think so. This ***** really hurts. I wonder if a a ice cold shower would help ala 19th century western culture. I know that it is a wonder for physical energy enchanment and for joints but for pulls I wonder.

I would let somebody take a dump on my back to get rid of this monkey.

carly
04-13-2003, 12:52 PM
I woke up with what sounds like the same thing you have about five days ago and it's still with me - I didn't do anything special to induce it either - I'm baffled and very tired of the pain.

diego
04-13-2003, 03:07 PM
when i was like 17 i woke up on my right cheek after sleeping on that side all night, and was stuck looking to the left all day with a huge kink in the neck.......went away like 12 hours later, and i just assume it was growing pains.

Not very helpfull was this?.:)

shaolin kungfu
04-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Could just be the way your laying when you sleep.

On a similar note, anyone ever wake up with one of your arms completely numb? I don't mean the pins and needles feeling, I'm talking about it being so numb that might as well not be there. I can't even move it when this happens.

fa_jing
04-13-2003, 03:54 PM
Yes, I just did that recently and it means you've pinched the two major nerves in your arm. When feeling came back, you don't even feel pins and needles, right? Unlike just choking off the blood supply.

Black Jack - I would look at you weightlifting form and prior injuries for a potential cause.

prana
04-13-2003, 04:39 PM
I've had that too.

I applied a hot patch on the area, and try to keep the head straight and relaxed. Also sleeping on my back without a pillow also helped, as long as you dont turn to the side and stretch it again.

Keep it warm when you sleep. Mine went away after 3 days .... but kept feeling "tight" for about a week.

carly
04-13-2003, 05:38 PM
I've even tried the Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon technique of trying to bash it back into place.

Black Jack
04-13-2003, 07:25 PM
fa jing,

It's weird that you mention that as on thursday, two days before the painfull wakeup, my group class was practicing some harsh neck cranks, and as I don't have a very flexiable neck, thick and short, but not flexiable, I remeber having to tap out very soon into the technique, maybe it pinched a nerve that only got worked up when I slept on Friday night.

Cheers,

Shuul Vis
04-13-2003, 09:00 PM
one word: OPIATES. :) lol

norther practitioner
04-14-2003, 09:17 AM
As far as drugs, an anti-inflamitory should help, like ibuprofin.

Shaolin-Do
04-14-2003, 09:23 AM
There are some good accupressure points for relieving muscle cramps... a warm shower as opposed to cold one... cold will shock the nerves and tense the muscles. Another thing -
When most people to the neck rolls to relax muscles in the neck, (just rolling your head around in big circles) You should NEVER go all the way around. If the middle of your forehead is 12 oclock, never roll it past 4 on one side or 8 on the other... Almost everyone has sustained some type of whiplash injury in their lives, and to roll it all the way around can cause these problems to come back.. and with all the nerves in your neck, this problem causes that, this nerve gets pinched... then you start having trouble everywhere.

Guile
04-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Maybe move it around a little bit, warm up the muscles