PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh...

Shaolin-Do
04-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Lately when Ive been doing gut busters, when I lower my legs, my lower back pops. It feels like something is sliding out of my spine, then back in.... I dont have health insurance yet, so if I go to the doctor, when I get health insurance in a couple weeks, it will be a "pre-existing condition" , and insurance wont cover it.
I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem... I know the doctor will probably be the only way to fix it, but I just was curious as to what it is.... :(

fa_jing
04-15-2003, 02:06 PM
I think it's your sacrum. Try to figure out what is the correct "pop" for your lower back to be in, tense your muscles or something and see if you can maintain it through the entire motion. I have a similar problem.

Shaolin-Do
04-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Im not sure what you mean... my back is tense the whole time.. feels like a disc slips out then back in or something....
I raise my legs to 90 degrees, then when im lowering my legs, when I get to about 10 inches above the ground my lower back pops. Raising the legs it doesnt....
:(

Cyborg
04-15-2003, 07:18 PM
I had the same prob for awhile, it was caused by my back being way outta whack. I learned how to self adjust and could show you how, or you could go see a chiropractor. Try to find a reputable one, there's plenty that don't really care about fixing you, they just want your money, IME. And no, I won't explain how to self adjust over the internet, somebody gets it wrong and I'll get sued back to the stone age.

Cheese Dog
04-16-2003, 12:31 AM
Shaolin-Do;

When you do leg raises do you try to keep your lower back presed against the floor or do you let it arch up off the floor? If you let the lower back arch it puts alot more strain on your spine, because the main muscle being worked are the hip flexors, which pull on the lower spine to raise your legs. By keeping the back flat to the floor it stabilizes your spine and makes it alot stronger.

Cyborg
04-16-2003, 06:34 AM
Do Janda sit-ups, those remove the hip flexors nicely.

Cheese Dog, the original quote that you have in your tag line is:

"Better to be silent and thought a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Shaolin-Do
04-16-2003, 07:59 AM
You may have hit it on the nose cheese dog... Ill try it differently tonight @ kung fu... :)
thx for the insights.

Cheese Dog
04-16-2003, 08:08 AM
You are welcome. Good luck and tell us how it went.

Shaolin-Do
04-17-2003, 12:43 PM
4-17
Tried doing it with my hands bracing my stomach... its hard to keep my back flat, but when I do it doesnt pop. so... you were right :)
but now I just gotta figure out how to keep my back flat without having someone step on me... ;)

Cheese Dog
04-17-2003, 11:50 PM
You can do leg raises with your shoulders raised off of the floor (like you were doing a crunch), it will help keep your lower back on the floor. From there it is just a matter of building your strength.

Shaolin-Do
04-18-2003, 08:42 AM
Ahhh....
Thx much for the advice.
Is helping already.
:)

Guile
04-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Gotta watch out for your back, or else moving around will be hard!