PDA

View Full Version : Getting Better

S.Teebas
04-16-2003, 10:18 AM
What do you guys and girls think are the most important aspects to concentrate on, in regards to advancing in wing chun?

t_niehoff
04-16-2003, 10:58 AM
S.Teebas writes:

What do you guys and girls think are the most important aspects to concentrate on, in regards to advancing in wing chun?

Fundamentals. IME how skillful someone is always boils down to how good -- how well they've developed -- their basics: the rudimentary actions of WCK: YJKYM, the jik chung choi, tan, bong, fook; the mechanics of WCK; the steps you must take, both mentally and physically, to connect yourself to your opponent; the mindset of WCK; etc. TN

Terence

PaulH
04-16-2003, 11:17 AM
I like what Wong said about WC. It is to him a skill and not an art. In a fight there is only one outcome – who will win or survive in the end. To grow more in experience and WC understanding, one really needs the heart of a fighter who is willing to test himself and to learn from his mistakes. Again Wong rightly commented that let your opponent show you how to beat him. Does one have that intelligent depth and feeling in his WC fighting? If "the punch comes from the heart", show me your treasure, there I will find your true heart.

Regards,

wingchunalex
04-16-2003, 11:41 AM
The most important thing mentally to improving is not competing. If you don't worry about trying to get ahead of people and catch up to others one will advance a lot more. same thing applies to sparring and chi sau. don't compete with it, just try to work on what YOU are doing and practice applying the techniques and concepts you are learning, not trying to get in on the other person or beat them.

I think making techniques second nature is most important. for example practie lop sau (bong sau and wu sau then to lop da, which is grab and punch) untill it is a natural reaction when a punch is thrown at you. All techniques should be developed that way.

I also think having mobile footwork is important to being able to get a lot of other things right, like the right timing for defence, and the right distance for offence. I think there are a lot of hand techniques that doen't "come together" for people because their footwork isn't up with their hand technique.

also its important not to overpower people with strength to make your moves work.

But yeah, just making sure everything is second nature, that it all flows, to put it another way.

Grendel
04-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by t_niehoff
S.Teebas writes:

Fundamentals. IME how skillful someone is always boils down to how good -- how well they've developed -- their basics: the rudimentary actions of WCK: YJKYM, the jik chung choi, tan, bong, fook; the mechanics of WCK; the steps you must take, both mentally and physically, to connect yourself to your opponent; the mindset of WCK; etc. TN

t_niehoff is right. Fundamentals. You should be a good student and concentrate on what your teacher tells you to work on...

Don't be greedy and rush the learning process, because it will result in deficient results. Every stage of learning requires a certain digestion period.

canglong
04-17-2003, 04:55 AM
A total and complete understanding of self.