PDA

View Full Version : Thieving Scum

sel
04-17-2003, 03:17 AM
A QUESTION TO YOU ALL, NO MATTER WHAT LINEAGE YOU ARE FROM:

what would all of you do if you found out that some slimeball was stealing from your grandmaster so blatantly?

i recently purchased a set of vcd from wingchunstore uk. the vcd show seminars conducted by grandmaster tsui seung tin. a set of 9 discs at a cost of 90 english pounds.

now i am disgusted to find that they are pirated copies and are being sold illegally. even the cover art on the vcd is stolen from another schools website. this store (wingchunstore uk) is supposedly promoting wing chun and selling wing chun related items. but in fact in the case of the vcds i bought they are just greedily making money for themselves and promoting themselves. not one penny of the sales proceeds go to grandmaster tsui seung tin. (there are other people selling these same pirated vcds on ebay as well).

WHAT DISGUSTING THIEVING SCUM THEY ARE. after being politely asked to stop selling the pirate vcds they totally ignored the request and still continue to sell them.

the people who legitimately sell authentic copies of these vcds donate every cent to great grandmaster master tsui. the authentic sets contain 10 discs (not 9) including complimentary disc of 1999 comemorative memorial tour.
if any of you are interested to buy them i will happily post contact details here for you. (they are also cheaper than the pirates)

in the meantime, i'm wondering what to do about these scum. any suggestions?

t_niehoff
04-17-2003, 04:01 AM
If you copyrighted them, then I'd seek the aid of a solicitor (who can help you seek private and public redress). If you didn't copyright them, then you can't complain.

Terence

stuartm
04-17-2003, 04:15 AM
Hi Terence,

I actually bid for these as ive always wanted to get some footage of Master Chu Shong Tin. They were on e-bay and the price was rocketing. Had i known they were copies i would not have bid ( i didnt win anyway ! Im glad to say)

As such i would be grateful to know where i could get legitimate copies from an official source.

Regards, Stuart

kj
04-17-2003, 05:05 AM
You or others should definitely put information out as to how to order the VCDs from their legitimate source. I would even recommend that the information on how-to-buy be made as blatantly available as possible. Make it easier for people to do or buy the right thing than the wrong thing.

You might also post warnings about pirated copies elsewhere like you did here (e.g., on Tsui Sheun Tin's website).

Terence's reply on copyrights is pragmatic. It is always a good idea to copyright one's work, or at least include a copyright notice on intellectual property. In the U.S. placing such notices or filings is not "required" for copyright, but you'll have a dickens of a time doing anything about it without them. Across international boundaries, copyright issues become even more challenging. You might pursue legal recourse if you can afford it, though I wouldn't bet on success of action.

For the eBay issue, a search for "Fraud" under the help page should offer some guidance. There may be no way to prevent it from happening again, but legitimately annoying the seller may at least offer some consolation.

This is unfortunate in any number of regards. The greatest loss may be to the Wing Chun community on whole if it discourages the generosity of people like Tsui Sheun Tin to share such things of themselves in the future. Having people steal one's work rarely encourages continued generosity.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

reneritchie
04-17-2003, 05:50 AM
I don't know if English law is different, nor do I understand the intricacies of international intellectual property rights agreements, so definately contact a soliciter. BUT, it is my understanding that copyright is AUTOMATICALLY assigned to the originator of any material, be it illustration, text, video, photo, etc. (in some cases it may be split between technician (photographer) and subject (model), but it's still automatic. In many countries, you can register your copyright for US$10 or equivalent for extra proof, documentation.

The only problem you'll face is in enforcement. Filing action is expensive, and rewards may not be great (you'd have to show damages, loss of revenue, not sure if you'd get punitive for MA as most folks don't respect it as they would music, photos, etc.)

Community scorn can also be useful. Inform people on whose doing this illegal, unethical activity. Message boards should ban them (many do, at first offense). Ebay and the like should revoke their privilages (contact Ebay, I did when John Crescione, David Williams, and my material was being printed off the web and sold as a "book" and they quickly removed it). Spread the word.

sel
04-17-2003, 09:19 AM
thankyou for your thoughtful and practical replies. it really is heartening that you took the time to give me some good advice. thankyou again.

for anyone who would like to purchase the vcd set you can buy them through these people:

HCH Wing Chun Academy (australia)
http://www.hchwingchun.com.au/
send an email enquiry as they don't advertise them on the site. the cost is AU$135 +postage

Lit's Ving Tsun/Wing Chun Martial Arts Studio (canada)
http://www.tstvingtsun.bc.ca/
again no advertising, send email request..not sure on price.

Master Chu (hong kong buyers only)
http://www.hchwingchun.com.au/
no website, but contact details are here in the master chu link. the cost is HK$550

the vcd set contains 3 seminars conducted by Great grandmaster tsui. 1:sil lim tao 2:chum kiu 3:chi sau (all with interpreter translating into english) and complimentary disc of 1999
commemorative tour.

Rainbow
05-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Far Eye Productions in USA is the one who sells the pirated VCD. Don't purchase from them.

Alpha Dog
05-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Find ways to add value and stay ahead of the pirates.

Welcome to the real world, Alice!