PDA

View Full Version : Just got Power Pushup 2

fa_jing
04-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Ordered it from SportsUnlimited.com, based in Plymouth Meeting, PA. Also got a weighted jump rope which I haven't tried yet.

It's a nice contraption. Supposedly adds 120 pounds to your pushup, but that doesn't make sense, or else maybe it's just at the very top of the movement. I haven't lifted weights in a long time (7 years!), and I was able to do 3 sets of 6 reps. I think a regular pushup is what, 60% of your body weight? Since I'm 180 lbs, that would be 108 pounds + 120 pounds = 228 pounds, no way that's the case. When I was lifting, the best I ever did was 5 reps of bench at 220 pounds, and there's no way I'm as strong as I was. Although I do think I will get back to that level in 3-4 months.
Anyway, I found the device comfortable and pretty easy to use, once I figured out where to put the arms and hands, etc. It also puts some tension on your abs and can be used for core body conditioning.

I'm reminded that endurance exercises are very different from power exercises. Even after I finished my sets and could do no more, I felt like I could pump out 15 regular pushups with no problem. I've been focusing on endurance stuff mostly lately so this is a nice feeling.

I'd say it's not as good of an exercise as bench press, because you are missing the stabilization element, but it is definitely just as good as any kind of machine.

The device can be used for other things, but it isn't all that versatile and works best for pushups. I'm interested in the bent-over rows aspect too, didn't really try that as I've been focussing on pullups.

30 bucks plus shipping, worth it IMO. I'll have to buy the next harder set of cables for $10 when I get the reps up to 12 or so.

Shaolin-Do
04-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Im still confused... could you post a link or describe what it is a little better? Ive been doing 8 sets of 15 w/40 lbs per arm of rower pulls lately... Can already see results. :)

fa_jing
04-17-2003, 01:00 PM
http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/lifusapowpus.html

I think a lot of people have heard of this. The pushup itself is shown on the front of the box there, it's a little hard to see but it's a set of rubber cables attached to grips with a padded piece of cloth that wraps around your back.

abobo
04-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Pardon me for hijacking your thread, but check out this pushup (http://www.ironcrane.com/html/irncrs.html)...

Guile
04-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the link

fa_jing
04-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Adobo--interesting

IronFist
04-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Good review!

IronFist

Pilgrim
04-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Hey
Down in Portland, in the early 90's, I trained with a guy named Charles who was a younger student of Archibek(sp). I remember those push-ups and went down to a local hardware store and bought some of those two inch bolts. It's amazing how hard it is doing a push-up balancing on a bolt. Heard stories that Archie could make a telephone pole vibrate when he hit the pole. He was also a great kicker before that tree kicked back and broke his leg. Combining those with plate curls gives a person really strong wrists.