PDA

View Full Version : Incedental Strikes

Black Jack
04-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Do any of you think about or train with incedental strikes in your training programs.

By incedental strike I mean a non-primary strike involved in a standard self defense movement. A few examples off the top of my head, like when you are reaching around the back of a target to secure/lock his head/neck for a head twist takedown or even lets say a headlock you use that incoming forearm to incedentaly strike the attackers neck on the way into the technique.

To render the attacker hopefully "punch-drunk" for the movement. To add a little extra flavour.

Another example might be lets say a looping downward hammerfist is coming at your head, you blade off and capture the hammerfist inbetween your arms which will be followed but by a knee to the nuts. But instead of just absorbing and capturing the incoming strike you incedental strike his arm by grazing his arm with your two palms as you come up to capture.

Other examples are found in rear naked chokes, instead of just wrapping into the choke, you use the your wrist/forearm bone to snap back into the attackers trachea as a strike into the choke, or maybe into a standing side choke you use your incoming forearm to blast his vegas nerve on the way in.

One can think of many different examples.

Water Dragon
04-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Yeah, there's usually some type of strike involved in every throw. Contact Shooter, I think this type of thing is a mainstay in his program.

KC Elbows
04-17-2003, 12:43 PM
I've seen some mantis techniques that do this. There's tons of ways to do it, and if you miss, oh well, it wasn't the main goal anyway. I like that stuff. I would think it's a pretty common tactic in most kung fu styles.

Robinf
04-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Yeah, incidental strikes are common. Sometimes they're used for spacing--to make sure you're close enough, to position the other person to your liking, etc. Sometimes, they're just a hit within the technique.

Robin

Shaolin-Do
04-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Lots of them in chin na techniques... To disorient long enough to lock better... ex... Backfisting someones head while reaching around for a neck lock.

yenhoi
04-18-2003, 08:01 AM
Yep. Its those little guys that make the difference.

Sometimes they're used for spacing--to make sure you're close enough

Also good to mention little shots to peoples shoulders or elbows, hips, etc to mess with the other guys's timing and rotation and extension and arcs and.... silat guys know what I mean.

:eek:

Dark Knight
04-18-2003, 08:05 AM
Ed Parker called them quarter strikes. I have heard opportunity strikes.

sticky fingers
04-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Football players are the experts at this. They can be going for the ball but 'accidentally' clock their opponent with a forearm or elbow.

David
04-18-2003, 08:57 AM
1. ba-ba-BANG-ba-BANG-BANG
2. Wash hands.

-David