PDA

View Full Version : Fist of Legend and Bulletproof Monk

StickyHands
04-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Hi,
I know that most kung fu movies are basically choreographed acrobatic wushu, and does not represent one real style. And this may sound shallow, but I always wondered what is Jet Li's PRIMARY kung fu style of fighting, movies or in real life? What was the style that he used in Fist of Legend, and what was the style practiced by the traditional chinese school in the movie? And does anyone know what style is utilized in the new movie Bulletproof Monk? I know they are not real, but by style I mean which one resembles the most according to the real kung fu arts? Thank you so much. Just curious.

norther practitioner
04-17-2003, 03:08 PM
Fist of Legend retells a ching woo legend, so, I guess it was supposed to represent ching woos stuff.
Other than that, I usually call it movie fu... They'll use some stuff, a bunch of chang chuan, a bunch of other stuff, but all in all...

Jet Li studied wushu for a bunch of years, thats where he pulls a lot of his stuff from.

StickyHands
04-17-2003, 06:13 PM
And what about the Kung Fu style portrayed in Bulletproof Monk or Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?

Brad
04-17-2003, 07:58 PM
I always wondered what is Jet Li's PRIMARY kung fu style of fighting, movies or in real life?
Jet Li's primary style was Fanzi Quan. I think he learned it from Ma Xian Da(There's a kungfu magazine article on Ma Xian Da online I think).

Brad
04-17-2003, 08:02 PM
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was basically movie fu(like everything else in movies, lol) but I noticed some Taiji stuff thrown in, and CYF sort of did a Wudan(ish) sword form... I guess Wudan sword/style was what most of it was supposed to represent :-)

Brad
04-17-2003, 08:04 PM
In Fist of Legend, they did a form called "Mizong Quan", but I'm still and extreme novice in the style, so can't really say how accurate it was.

StickyHands
04-17-2003, 09:18 PM
IC, so what kinda real kung fu trainings do Jet Li, Choy Yan Fut, or Jackie Chan contend with?

DragonzRage
04-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Jet does modern wushu. Jackie was taught performance-fu Peking Opera Style. Chow is not a martial artist at all.

Sho
04-18-2003, 08:13 AM
Movies don't necessarily use "real styles", they just choreograph something that fits in.

Sho
04-18-2003, 08:17 AM
But I'd say Fanziquan is Jet's number one style. He also uses it in a couple of movies, such as Once Upon a Time in China III. Umm, he also performed Fanziquan in Jay Leno's show.

StickyHands
04-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Fanziquan derives from what system exactly? It doesn't sound common as Choy Li Fut or Hun Gar, etc.

StickyHands
04-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Well besides Wushu, Jet Li claims when he was young, he has trainged under all kinds of kung fu internal/external arts, and entered competitions and won many tournaments. He was a fighter to be reckoned with. And he mentions that in the movie "The One", among the styles he uses are basically Xingyi and Bagua.

Tiger_Yin
04-18-2003, 06:17 PM
fanzi chuan is the evolution of an old style most people dont know anymore called ba fan chan or cun ba fan.. the 108 lightning fists? my teacher lerned it in china and woah.. its some pretty scary stuff :O fanzi is a part of wushu and is increadible.. its the style i want to learn from my coach but hes skeptical about teaching it to peopel here hehe. Truly i think its one of modern wushus most devastating styles even if people dont see how wushu is good nowadays.. jsut remember.. if the guy can kick fast enough to make his own hair move.. you dont want to be on the receiving end :)

Peace!

StickyHands
04-18-2003, 09:05 PM
Actually, relatively anything with force, u dont want to be in the receiving end. I can make anything that's hanging or even people's hair move with slight punch motion. lol

NorthernMantis
04-19-2003, 07:07 AM
In Jackie Chan's interview in ikf he states that he was taught northern shaolin at first, then some hung ga, wing chun, bak mei among a couple of others. Later Jackie went on to learn on himself hap ki do and a couple of other Japanese styles. While Jackie learned a little of many things he states that he favors bak mei the most for it's efficiency.

DragonzRage-

While it may be true that he was taught in the Peking opera school he also did traidional kung fu. Peking opera schools have always been known to teach traditional kung fu styles in secret (i.e. red boat hung ga or some type of hung ga).

Tiger_Yin
04-19-2003, 12:05 PM
300$ to whoever makes MY hair move :D cause yah..cant move curly hair ;) suckas mouhahahah anyways... in all ive seen up to know very few people kicked fast enough to make there hair seemed liek they were in a wind storm.. and ive only seen one person actualy accidently kick himself in the head :D lol best sight ever

StickyHands
04-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Well let see if your hair is long enough, may be i can move one strand move. But if all else fails, Ill take you to a salon, get you permed to straight hair, then I'll try to move it with a kick or punch. lol. Pardon me if your whole head moves as well, hahaha.