PDA

View Full Version : Question for Eulerfan

Richie
04-18-2003, 12:50 AM
You are in to math. What do you do(job)? Are you a teacher, a professor, a member of a think tank, a researcher, or what?

eulerfan
04-18-2003, 07:19 AM
University student, research assistant and physics tutor. When I graduate I'll be an Engineering Tech for a petroleum consulting company.

Guile
04-18-2003, 07:41 AM
you are gonna makea lot of money!

norther practitioner
04-18-2003, 07:43 AM
As an engin. tech.... not really, at whatever you end up getting promoted to... most likely $$$

eulerfan
04-18-2003, 08:34 AM
You're both sort of right.

I'll be making a lot more money than most other people just out of Uni. This will continue for the next five or so years. Much more than others five years out. But, at five years, you hit a ceiling.

norther practitioner
04-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Mine has come for an EIT... take the test next fall..... then I'll be a PE, then the bucks come in a bit more, but takes like 5 years to hit each step after that.

Shaolin-Do
04-18-2003, 08:37 AM
What do you do for a living np?

norther practitioner
04-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Errr.... Check my profile, but if you want to know more specifics, I'm a detail roadway design engineer. Meaning I am the guy who specs out highways, tells them where to put everything etc. Kinda boring to tell the truth... Except when I get to be an inspecting engineer on construction projects, see some young guy who actually knows why "this crap is in the plans."

eulerfan
04-18-2003, 09:29 AM
np,

Why do I think that you guys have running jokes about Houston's highways? It's just horrific down here.

I look at New York and think, they have more people in less space and they make it work better than we do. How is that?

norther practitioner
04-18-2003, 09:34 AM
LOL.... We have jokes on most of Texas... they do however have some inovative ideas on how to flip cars faster :D
aka, the Texas twist is where they take the guardrail, twist it 90 degrees, and taper it down to pavement level, providing a ramp for oncoming traffic to launch off of if they go off the road there.

Denver metro is getting fixed up right now roadwise.... however we are far from where we want to be, and budget cuts are killing us right now...

NY, ah, my home town... easy, bums don't need to get anywhere, and mass transit systems that work.

eulerfan
04-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I imagine budget cuts are killing people left and right these days. But good luck!