View Full Version : Head Flips

Siu Lung
07-30-2001, 08:14 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has trained (or attempted) to perform those cool "head flips" that we see Shaolin monks and wushu guys doing (mostly in Ditangquan forms). What is the name of this move and is it traditional? Just curious. . .

**Siu Lung

07-30-2001, 08:39 AM
explain ? You mean when they lie down and bounce off the floor ? By twisting on the back of the necks, or by flicking their legs at the same time ?

Which one... ?

07-30-2001, 03:47 PM
First use your hands to help push off a bit. Once you learn the timing of kicking your legs over, you won;t need your hands. I don't know if thei move has any fancy Chinese style name, but it's just a front headspring.

Siu Lung
07-31-2001, 06:36 AM
I didn't mean "carp flips" or "kip ups" where you launch yourself up from lying on your back---everyone does that. I was referring to the front head-springs that I believe Lyle is describing. And by the way, I just found an article where they are called "monk descends down the mountain" and where conditioning exercises include supporting one's body on the neck and head to strengthen the neck muscles and the skull. Peace out.

**Siu Lung

08-04-2001, 04:53 PM
Were you talking about the ones where you are on your back and go to your feet, or the ones where you have the top of your head on the ground and then go to your feet?

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

08-05-2001, 09:18 PM
"the ones where you have the top of your head on the ground and then go to your feet"

But thinking about it, the same idea of using your hands at first until you learn the right timing applies to both.

Drunken Monkey
08-06-2001, 02:52 AM
Or at least that is what it is called in drunken kungfu. its when you do a handspring flip but you go straight to your head and then flip to your feet. tell me if i am right.

o v o
| | |
^ o ^
standing - head - feet

wisdom mind
08-13-2001, 03:39 AM
i do em. great application kill move