PDA

View Full Version : cooking and wing chun

foolinthedeck
04-19-2003, 01:54 PM
if i went to a master chef and asked him to teach me how to cook i would expect to have to pay him.

however, if i went to a masterchef and i wasn't a bad chef myself and i tasted his food and he tasted mine, then i wouldnt think i would have to pay.

its the same with chi sau. chi sau is like cooking.

i'm not sure what exactly i'm trying to say here but it has to do with paying for 'private sessions'.

i like the flavour of these forums but i think they need more cinnamon..

planetwc
04-19-2003, 06:57 PM
So what if you were just an average person who could cook some food, but not a chef. Would you pay to taste his food and learn how to cook in his style then? :D

If you were an awful cook, should you pay then?

Atleastimnotyou
04-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Of course you have to pay. you have to pay for his time.

AztecaPreist
04-20-2003, 12:27 AM
In my own opinion:

If you feel confident in the way that you cook and that your food will turn out just as good as the master chef's food, then by all means do not waste your money and time. If you want to acheive a new level of cooking and add new flavors to your style of cooking, then it is only right to show respect and pay for traveling along a new path. Just as in life you do not have to do anything that it is you do not want to do in what ever it is. Be it martial arts or not. The same goes with this thread, all will have something different to add and you have the choice to take it in, or ignore it.

stuartm
04-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Hi Foolin,

Not sure if this is a veiled slight on my previous post stating that i charge £20 p 1.45hr session, but my view is that it is a small price to pay for that amount of my free time. As someone who works 5 days a week, teaches a class twice a week, has 4 private students on the books than i am left with very little leisure time to spend with my girlfriend, family etc. As such i feel it is a very small price to pay - i doubt if anyone on this forum who has had private lessons has had them for free !

You also seemed hung up on the 'whos best' theme. With martial arts you should lose your ego, not expand it. If somebody trains with me and their chi sau is better so what? I feel my job is a teacher is to impart the principles of the sytem and allow my students to develop. Any teachers aim should be to develop their students to a level where they are better than the teacher.

Until you chi sau with someone, how do you know your 'cooking' is 'better'?

When i started Wing Chun i spent three years near enough having private lessons with your sifu, and no doubt spent hundreds of pounds, but the money never bothered me for the reasons ive stated above.

I do agree however though, that there are teahers out there who are set on ripping people off charging £50 an hours etc

Nothings free in this world my friend !

Best wishes, Stuart (apprentice chef!)

foolinthedeck
04-20-2003, 01:28 PM
no disrespect stuart but i never mentioned you.
i was just thinking these thoughts as i walked around town on my low paid job.

you said:

With martial arts you should lose your ego, not expand it.

fair enough. the thread was no veiled reference to you or how much you charge. your ego seems to think it was. no problem, we can talk about those issues as well as cooking...

i'm not bothered about who's best. i'd like to cook with people who have no cooking experience, people who cook other styles etc. its a fair point that your time is precious but so is mine, so i choose who to cook with on a basis of what i am looking for, not just finding the 'best'. I dont train with my sifu in private because i dont see the point in paying for it, its no slight on any particular teacher... its all a difference of emphasis, in the old days in hong kong you would have to offer a large sum of silver to a teacher before he would take you on as a student, and he would see if u were suitable etc. today this isnt necessary, but still as you point out "nothings free in this world".

its my choice to make it free. i offer my opinions on cooking and my hands for chi sau. i surely will see you sometime in the future for some friendly (i hope:p ) chi sau, but at the moment i just prefer training with friends...

this thread is still about cooking, and what anyone out there thinks of that.

swordsoul
04-20-2003, 04:00 PM
and i read in a magazine you're supposed to do this with an egg so i made a pan of rice and put an egg in it and it stank the whole house up in like 3 minutes and i opened the pan and almost threw up and washed it out and to this day it still has black scorch marks on the bottom and i was thinking "this is not at all like chi sau"

the end

:)
matt

Matrix
04-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by swordsoul
and i read in a magazine you're supposed to do this with an egg so i made a pan of rice and put an egg in it and it stank the whole house up in like 3 minutes.... Just goes to show you. You can't learn to Wing Chun or even how to cook from a magazine, or a book. ;)

Matrix

swordsoul
04-20-2003, 10:32 PM
::applauds matrix::
very good!

...eh.. even the best chefs in the world catch things on fire from time to time? (at least when they start out?)
as with wing chun... although maybe not with fire, but the metaphor works haha

unity
matt