PDA

View Full Version : Weight lifting routine opinions.

Cipher
04-20-2003, 05:07 AM
Some guys where I work have recently told me about a routine they have been doing. They read this from the book Train Smart.

The book covers more but what I am wondering about is part of the lifting routine is they take a max weight, more than you can lift even once. So if you can bench 300 once then they would take about 400 and lower the bar about an inch and then hold it for 8-20 seconds. Once they can hold for 10 sec. they add 5-10 lbs and hold for 6-10 sec. Once guy said his bench press has shot through the roof like this.

They also light weights a lot on one day and then don't lift any more for about 5-7 days and just do cadrio stuff inbetween. I know it's good to rest your body but is it a good idea to pump it hard one and then rest a week?

I have been doing the standard set of lifts one day and then alternate every other day with a different set of lifts and then rest 1-2 days a week and mix cardio in every day.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge of the differences and if it above mentioned routine is a good idea?

Edit: The main things I would like to know is... does this screw your joints up and is once or twice a week of heavy lifting enough to do good.